Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone feel extreme guilt over impulse buys?

GonzoJohn

Hey folks --

I'm new here and thought I'd ask for your thoughts on a particular subject that's been bothering me. I've owned a LP Standard for a little over a year now. I love it, but wanted the SG 61 RI. So, I bought one at GC a couple months back, but the electronics were bad. So, I took it back. They suggested I keep it until they got another one in. That was the end of dealing with GC for me.

Fast forward to last week. Best Buy here in the Twin Cities now sells instruments. I saw a beautiful SG 61 RI for $1687.00. They put it on clearance due to not carrying that model anymore for reasons unknown. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I played it for about 30 minutes and everything was perfect. I took it home and played the hell out of it the last few days. But now my LP Standard is getting neglected.

I ended up paying $1801.00 after tax brand new. And Best Buy financed it on an approved credit card interest free for 18 months. Let me also point out I'm not currently in a band. I can't easily justify the purchase and am not sure I should keep it--especially with the economy.

The responsible side of me is saying, "Take it back fool. You don't need another guitar on credit--especially not being in a band." But the guitar-loving irresponsible side of me is saying, "You got one for $1801 after tax and interest free for 18 months! Keep it!"

What would you guys do in my situation? Did I really get that good of a deal?

Regards,

GonzoJohn

Luckily(?), I can't afford "Impulse" buying, anymore. So, any music equipment purchaces I make, are carefully evaluated, beforehand. It Sucks, but...that's my "reality," at the present time, anyway. ;>b My "lusting," for guitars, is still as strong as ever, though. Too bad the ones I really want, are 3 Grand, each.=D> :- LOL!

CB

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I THINK I've made my decision. I played my LP and 61 SG over and over again this afternoon. My SG is a dirty little animal and I just have to keep her. The two are distinctly different and I can't really believe how hot and nasty those SG pickups are. I felt like I was in my car trying to chase down sex in the red light district. It was awesome.

GonzoJohn

I think you're making the right decision, my 61 R1 is the nicest guitar I have ever played.

I actually have the opposite problem though, I will go try a few guitars about 50 times, spend endless nights contemplating which one to get and why. Constantly comparing every minute detail until I finally make up my mind and purchase one only to take it back a day later and get one of the other ones.

I buy most everything on impulse if it costs under a grand. I bought my '74 SG that way. Dude was selling it, and I jumped on it. No regrets! The tone of neck pickup alone is worth it. I'd been trolling over a used 335 at the Dayton, OH guitar center for weeks because of how damn guitar would cry with every subtle movement if you played the neck on a nice amp with just a little grit. Well I have that tone and playability now for significantly less than half the price of that bugger!

Anyways, I have a specific list of gear I want or need (if you can call it that!) and if it comes along, I like the feel, the tone, the sound ,etc, etc, I tend to jump on it. Trades are another story! I traded a Jazz Bass I bought with last year's tax returns on a whim for a Peavey XXX because I don't want to keep my beloved Marshall DSL and 70's V30 loaded Ampeg 212 here. Columbus isn't safe enough for my babies!

The only thing I really planned out was buying my Rickenbacker 360. I worked my high school job all through the summer to buy that thing. I had enough leftover to buy a Jeep Wrangler or '73 (455 and 4 speed) Trans Am I was looking at, but I blew it on a girl! Doh! (That's my buyer's remorse there!)

I think you're making the right decision' date=' my 61 R1 is the nicest guitar I have ever played.

I actually have the opposite problem though, I will go try a few guitars about 50 times, spend endless nights contemplating which one to get and why. Constantly comparing every minute detail until I finally make up my mind and purchase one only to take it back a day later and get one of the other ones.[/quote']

I'm right there with you. Sometimes I think I have mental issues when I do stuff like that. And who knows what the people in my life think of me. But I've learned that the older I get, the more responsible I SEEM to be getting. I feel much more guilty about larger purchases, and much less surprised and inspired about every day life. Not to mention the OCDs. Oh well... Haha.

Anything I buy That doesn't directly help me stay alive makes me feel guilty. Especially guitars since they tend to be expensive and I own 3. Think it's normal but I'd keep it. You will regret getting rid of it.

The best bit is where you rationalise it financially: I.E " Well, if never drink again, stop getting my hair cut, and buy the cheapest rolling tobacco brand for 2 years it's paid for" !

I walked into the local GC on 12/31/08 with the cash and the intention of buying a Melody Maker to turn into a dedicated slide guitar. A few hours later, and a little more in debt, I walked out of GC with this in hand...

HPIM0129.jpg

I still haven't felt one iota of remorse, nor the urge to purchase a Melody Maker.

Nothing creates buyers remorse like using credit.

Get it paid off pronto, otherwise the "interest-free" period will be over before you know it and the interest is retroactive.

OUCH!

You'll hate yourself - and the guitar will never seem worth it.

I took the SG 61 back. It kept eating at me every day I had it. Since I'm not in a band, I can't justify another $1800 guitar when I have a credit card with $2200 already on it. Although it's a bank card with lower interest, I just feel I should pay that off first.

Honestly, I don't really miss it. If I save while paying down my current debt, maybe I can find a used one for 400-500 dollars cheaper. At least I'll play my LP, which I should have been doing all along.

I took the SG 61 back. It kept eating at me every day I had it. Since I'm not in a band' date=' I can't justify another $1800 guitar when I have a credit card with $2200 already on it. Although it's a bank card with lower interest, I just feel I should pay that off first.

Honestly, I don't really miss it. If I save while paying down my current debt, maybe I can find a used one for 400-500 dollars cheaper. At least I'll play my LP, which I should have been doing all along.

[/quote']

Sorry you had to take it back but I think you will feel better about it in the long run. You can buy a bunch of stuff with $1800. What I usually do with a large guitar purchase like that is spend a year saving up and in the mean time keep an eye on Ebay for a 61' RI. You might log on one night at an odd hour and see an auction about to end when all the 'snipers' are asleep and bag a great deal. I've seen some go for as lil as $700 and a good bit go for$1100. Feels good to know that if you do have 2nd thoughts, you can turn around and sell it for what you paid and pay off the credit card. Good luck hunting! Guess they will have to sell it as a blem now! Where was that store again?

I bought it at Best Buy in Roseville, MN. They carry instruments there now and it was a good deal cheaper than Guitar Center. I didn't peel the plastic off the pick guard nor had I registered it. I wouldn't doubt that they'd throw it right back on the wall.

Good. Now you have 1800 to blow on booze and hookers. Go on, you know you want to!

But seriously, I dont buy things on credit. That way I might feel a hint of guilt but it never really lasts long.

I have 3 guitars now and my biggest problem is space so I doubt I will get any more anytime soon.

So the rest of my money will have to be wisely invested - one dollar at a time!

Archived