Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for the COA for my 2016 ES-335

Olive

Hello ,

I just bought that beauty on the picture, a 2016 ES-335 in lightburt color. 

The seller didn't have the COA with the guitar so I contacted Gibson primary to buy and they assured me it's a real Gibson not a fake (see my other post ...).

I cant understand how people can lost the COA. To me this paper is part of the guitar like the strings or the pickups or the neck. It have to stay all together.

Anyway, i'm trying to find my COA and I need your help if ever you seen or heard about it, I would like to have it  back with my guitar. By the way, I asked Gibson what to do to have a replacement COA  without answer from them. I was ready to pay for it and even to ship the guitar to their shop to have a new COA but they didn't seem to be interested.

Serial number of my guitar : 11586746

Image 2.jpg

Edited by Olive

You won't get any help from Gibson there.  I hope you emailed Gibson, because if they verified your guitar via email, you can print out that email and that will essentially be a COA.   I had a 2015 that Gibson misidentified the model on the COA.  After send multiple emails and pics, they admitted it was misidentified and verified the correct model number.  But they refused to send me a corrected COA saying it was due to it not being under warranty for me.   Those 2016 light bursts are gorgeous. 

Edited by Wmachine

yep everything is on email. I already printed them and put the papers in the case but there's nothing like a genuine one and I dont understand Gibson philosophy as they can make a lot of money from people looking to have a verification and a COA like me. 

I agree with you about the natural color of my baby. I cant download more pics but the back of the guitar is also just fantastic.

12 hours ago, Olive said:

I agree with you about the natural color of my baby. I cant download more pics but the back of the guitar is also just fantastic.

Not just the back but the contrasting sides too!  I have a 2016 ES335 Premiere Figured Light Burst.

AL9nZEUTPLjApSasFTfMMpODzAmv7f3HdMY_ELEt

AL9nZEXp3S77Zy9ra3X8hluj2eRl4ZZQpvQ5iFPD

Edited by Wmachine

A couple of really sweet looking 335s - congratulations.  I'm not sure that a 2016 335 came with a COA.  COAs are usually reserved for Custom Shop guitars and even then, they don't all get one.  I have a 356 Custom Shop and it came with a COA.  I have a couple of Hummingbirds from the Bozeman custom shop, one came with a COA and the other didn't.  I have heard of one or two instances where a missing COA was replaced, but with all the trouble with counterfeit guitars it only makes sense to only issue one and if it is lost, not to replace it. 

4 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

A couple of really sweet looking 335s - congratulations.  I'm not sure that a 2016 335 came with a COA.  COAs are usually reserved for Custom Shop guitars and even then, they don't all get one.  I have a 356 Custom Shop and it came with a COA.  I have a couple of Hummingbirds from the Bozeman custom shop, one came with a COA and the other didn't.  I have heard of one or two instances where a missing COA was replaced, but with all the trouble with counterfeit guitars it only makes sense to only issue one and if it is lost, not to replace it. 

Yes, all Memphis guitars came with COAs going back at least as far 2013, and I think even farther.  In my COA case, all they had to do was replace mine.  Take back the wrong one and give me a correct one.  No extra ones out there in that case.  They wouldn't do that.   They must think it is better to have what can be proven to be an incorrect one out there.  No making sense out of that.

Hi Olive,

If the seller didn't have the COA, you are not going to find it. It is likely either mislaid or disposed of. Nobody else will have it. The best you can hope for is to contact the seller again and supply your contact details in hope that its discovered again.

Its a lovely looking 335 anyway. 

9 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

........ It doesn't certify anything meaningful. ...............

So you may not have it, but you don't "need" it to prove ownership or anything.  👍

Maybe to you, but not to others.  You think they make them for no reason?   One reason is evidence that it is not fake.  But more importantly it can be very important for verification of a model.   If you are trying to sell a reissue, you would understand the importance of that.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, Wmachine said:

Maybe to you, but not to others.  You think they make them for no reason?   One reason is evidence that it is not fake.  But more importantly it can be very important for verification of a model.   If you are trying to sell a reissue, you would understand the importance of that.

No offense, but you're just naive.  And never take advice from people who are on your side and trying to help.  And whine about it.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, Wmachine said:

Go poop somewhere else.

Edited by badbluesplayer

I have a 2010 PRS Custom 24, which came with an incorrectly filled-out "Hang Tag", that listed incorrect pick-up types (it showed what had been the right pick-ups for prior years).  With PRS guitars, there is a number (called the "MODCAT") that encodes various specs for each guitar, including codes for pick-up types (separate from the SN).  So from the MODCAT (and from pick-up resistance measurements) I could tell that the guitar had the right pick-ups, but the hand-written entries on the hang tag were wrong.

I wanted to get a corrected hang tag, which PRS customer service was willing to do if I first e-mailed them photos of the guitar (including the back of the headstock with the SN), MODCAT number stickers, and the incorrect hang-tag.  Then, they told me how to mail in the old hang tag, and sent me a new one.  They were very particular about needing the old one sent in first, as a means of preventing future counterfeiting (i.e., using the old hang tag to legitimize a fake guitar).   I understand the need for establishing legitimacy of my request, and in a way it was refreshing to have them take my issue seriously.  Will it ever matter that I obtained a corrected hang tag?  Probably not, but who knows?

The trouble is that Gibson did go through a period of issuing guitars without a COA.

I have a beautiful 2009 (I think) LP Custom - see my avatar - but it has no COA.

I would think the best you could do is get written confirmation that it is xx model made on xxx date in whichever factory.  Even that may be hard to get, I don't know, but it would be a COA of a sort.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, Twang Gang said:

Which, I believe, is the reason Gibson will only re-issue a COA to the Original Buyer…