Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES355 Stereo 1970’s Chuck Berry

Larsongs

I'd say those who know better would say Chuck was known more for his guitar WORK than what he played it on.  And mostly those who  grew up earlier than the 70's were more familiar with his 350-T.   [wink]

But I always thought those Gibson "stereos" were cool axes.  My buddy's guitar teacher bought one in '67.   Another buddy of mine had one in the '70's.  Both were tobacco burst. 

But what bothers me is.....why it took until 2021 and four years after his death for Gibson to get around to putting out a Chuck Berry sig?  [confused]  And they can do away with the cap. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

But what bothers me is.....why it took until 2021 and four years after his death for Gibson to get around to putting out a Chuck Berry sig?  [confused]  And they can do away with the cap. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Probably the same reason Yes got inducted into the Rock Hall Of Shame after Mr. Squire passed away. Cause they are___________________?  You fill in the blank.

• Thanks 1

Lucille has no F holes which kills the look of it for me…. I’ve never had an unwanted feedback problem with my old ‘59 ES345 Stereo or my recent ES335…

I do think I’d like this Chuck Berry model without Murphy-izing…. I’d prefer the Brand new look…

Trogly says it only has one Jack so it’s Mono.. Not Stereo… I challenge that statement.. My old ‘59 Gibson ES 345 Stereo only had one Jack but would accept Mono or Stereo Cords.. The split end of the Stereo Cord was for 2 Amps not the Guitar…

Edited by Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Lucille has no F holes which kills the look of it for me…. I’ve never had an unwanted feedback problem with my old ‘59 ES345 Stereo or my recent ES335…

I do think I’d like this Chuck Berry model without Murphy-izing…. I’d prefer the Brand new look…

Trogly says it only has one Jack so it’s Mono.. Not Stereo… I challenge that statement.. My old ‘59 Gibson ES 345 Stereo only had one Jack but would accept Mono or Stereo Cords.. The split end of the Stereo Cord was for 2 Amps not the Guitar…

No F holes was one of the reasons I got mine. It had a control cavity cover to access the electronics. How ingenious. Have fun swapping a pot in that if it ever goes bad.

I have several Hollow & Semi Hollow F Hole ES & other well known Manufacturers Guitars for many Years with very few issues.. If I do get issues I can’t repair I take them to my Guitar & Amp Techs who are excellent. I’m lucky to have 2 great Guys that can take over on the repairs I can’t handle.. 

Solid Body Electric Guitars are the ones that seem to have the most issues for me! Right now I have a Fender AV65 Jaguar that makes a crackling noise when I play.. I’ve had it completely apart. 2 times & can’t find the problem? So, after New Years it’s going to my Tech… 

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have several Hollow & Semi Hollow F Hole ES & other well known Manufacturers Guitars for many Years with very few issues.. If I do get issues I can’t repair I take them to my Guitar & Amp Techs who are excellent. I’m lucky to have 2 great Guys that can take over on the repairs I can’t handle.. 

Solid Body Electric Guitars are the ones that seem to have the most issues for me! Right now I have a Fender AV65 Jaguar that makes a crackling noise when I play.. I’ve had it completely apart. 2 times & can’t find the problem? So, after New Years it’s going to my Tech… 

Have you tried spraying your jack and switch with electrical contact cleaner? It might be worth a shot. Many things when I was an electrical in the trade were magically fixed with it. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Has it always done that since you got it?

No.. It just started doing it this past week in the middle of a Recording Session.. Tried different Cords, Amps, etc.. Played other Guitars with the same Cords & Amps with no problem.. It’s in the Guitar.. I’ve taken the Guitar apart twice.. Checked & double checked everything I can think of.. Everything looks as it should.. Weird!

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

No.. It just started doing it this past week in the middle of a Recording Session.. Tried different Cords, Amps, etc.. Played other Guitars with the same Cords & Amps with no problem.. It’s in the Guitar.. I’ve taken the Guitar apart twice.. Checked & double checked everything I can think of.. Everything looks as it should.. Weird!

No bad solder joints on the pots, switch, jack ect. You said you took it apart twice. Did you unsolder and resolder anything?

It does make the noise on both Lead & Rhythm Circuits.. I don’t feel skilled enough on this Guitar to redo Soldering.. It’s too complex for me.

I’m going to try another cleaning with Deoxit & see if I might get lucky! If not, it’s probably best I let my Tech tend to it..

Sorry for the derail…

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

It does make the noise on both Lead & Rhythm Circuits.. I don’t feel skilled enough on this Guitar to redo Soldering.. It’s too complex for me.

I’m going to try another cleaning with Deoxit & see if I might get lucky! If not, it’s probably best I let my Tech tend to it..

Sorry for the derail…

Thanks

It is something that is common to both pups, like the jack, or the switch. A bad ground would hum until you touched the strings.

Yeah I agree it is going to be most likely related to a solder joint on the pickup selector switch or output jack

Big manufacturers have to use lead free solder which doesn’t flow as well. Even when it’s done perfectly lead free solder joints don’t look as nice as 63/37. Very common for cold joints especially in the guitar world where I notice a widespread lack of understanding and technique regarding soldering. I would say the vast majority of videos I’ve seen where a guitar related guy is soldering show improper technique 

After a 3rd Inspection & Doxit-ing everything again it still has the Crackle... My eyes aren't seeing any bad Solder Joints but there must be one....

The Amps & Cord  work perfect with other Guitars... So it isn't the Cord or the Amps or me...

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

After a 3rd Inspection & Doxit-ing everything again it still has the Crackle... My eyes aren't seeing any bad Solder Joints but there must be one....

The Amps & Cord  work perfect with other Guitars... So it isn't the Cord or the Amps or me...

You can’t always see one. If you have a soldering iron, go over all your solder joints.