Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Elvis Costello Century of Progress

Gibby20

1 hour ago, Murph said:

What a stunning guitar.

Are you a fan of him and his music as well, or just liked the guitar?

I dig it. 

If Martin did that to a guitar you would be talking all kinds of smack about it and you know it.

I've seen E C three times. I don't remember him playing it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Lest we forget Elvis also plays (or at least played) a Harmony H1265 Sovereign so he seems to have a thing for bling.  While I cannot speak to the Bozeman version of the L C-Century those from the 1930s were loud and percussive sounding.  I cannot say though whether the use of the MOTS or perhaps the laminae maple bodies which were not uncommon on this model contributed anything unique to the sound.

10 minutes ago, Murph said:

You're a broken record.

This is a Gibson Forum.

I know where I am, but you know damn good and well my statement is true. The dumping ground would eat that alive if I posted a guitar that looked like that from Martin.  I was told my D-41 was gaudy by someone.

Is the Spike looking thing supposed to be a rail road spike, or a nod to Elvis's Spike album? That was a pretty good E album. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Murph said:

What a stunning guitar.

Are you a fan of him and his music as well, or just liked the guitar?

I dig it. 

I thought Elvis and Graham Parker (with Nick Lowe thrown into the mix) were about the best things to happen to rock & roll in the mid-1970s.  Those two guys were as acerbic as it got and seemed to be pissed off at a whole lot of stuff.  Do you remember Elvis' appearance on Saturday Night Live where he quickly stopped what they had launched into and broke into "Radio Radio" which hacked off the powers that be to the point he was banned from the show. 

Edited by zombywoof

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Do you remember Elvis' appearance on Saturday Night Live where he quickly stopped what they had launched into and broke into "Radio Radio" which hacked off the powers that be to the point he was banned from the show. 

Stickin' it to the man.

Heck yea.

9 minutes ago, Murph said:

Stickin' it to the man.

Heck yea.

He was banned from SNL for a long time for doing that until he put out the Spike album. Then they let him back on. I guess maybe due to his hit Veronica?

Elvis if you recall said some not so nice things about Ray Charles. He was probably drunk as he was a huge drinker until he got sober. Why do these guys with initals E C say racist stuff? His real name is Declan MacManus. He has a really talented and beautiful wife.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Very cool!  Thanks, Murph!  I agree with ZW, and some of the greatest songs were buried in those early frantic EC and the Attraction days.

Years ago, Elvis did a solid hour with Terry Gross on NPR, when he played a handful of songs quietly on an acoustic, describing how he wrote them sitting on the edge of his bed.  It was inspiring to me as a player, and drove me to learn many of my favs. 

This morning, I started messing with this rough skeletal lesson...

5 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Very cool!  Thanks, Murph!  I agree with ZW, and some of the greatest songs were buried in those early frantic EC and the Attraction days.

Years ago, Elvis did a solid hour with Terry Gross on NPR, when he played a handful of songs quietly on an acoustic, describing how he wrote them sitting on the edge of his bed.  It was inspiring to me as a player, and drove me to learn many of my favs. 

This morning, I started messing with this rough skeletal lesson...

E C is one of the  great forgotten songwriters. So many great albums and songs. His last few have been a bit hard to listen to. Opportunity form Get Happy!! was another great record.

I saw him on some show ages and he was talking about this songs. The last song he played his Jazzmaster by himself with a pre-recoded backing track and it was one of the best versions of Watching The Detectives I've ever heard.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

30 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I thought Elvis and Graham Parker (with Nick Lowe thrown into the mix) were about the best things to happen to rock & roll in the mid-1970s.  Those two guys were as acerbic as it got and seemed to be pissed off at a whole lot of stuff.  Do you remember Elvis' appearance on Saturday Night Live where he quickly stopped what they had launched into and broke into "Radio Radio" which hacked off the powers that be to the point he was banned from the show. 

Joe Jackson started out as an angry young man too. His first bunch of records were killer.

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

I haven't heard 'good', er, anything I like,  come out of any of my music idols once their prime had passed.  Not McCartney, not Clapton, not Elvis, not Simon, not Jagger, etc.

Me and my buddy discuss this topic a lot. I think your young, and hungry, and have something to say, or ideas the you have  for songs and music are new and great. Then you run out of great ideas, or get lazy, or do to much Coc and booze, a la Van Halen and others. And for some artists they get so big, that the people around them that make money as well off them, do not want the cash cow to go away, so they pad the rock stars ego.  Who is gonna tell Dylan he can't make an album, or that his mumbling is past ridiculous?  I'll tell you who - no one. I also think that some artist like Prince, and Zappa (who you know dig) build their own studios, and have their own record labels, and there is no on to tell them NO that is trash. I will be a realist, I don't like like every note, chord and song Frank did, some is just awful. Look we still have dinosaurs milking it, and just touring cause they know people will pay to see the name The Stones no matter what stunt double is on bass or drums or guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

I haven't heard 'good', er, anything I like,  come out of any of my music idols once their prime had passed.  Not McCartney, not Clapton, not Elvis, not Simon, not Jagger, etc.

I think the well runs dry eventually..... they become mere mortals!! 

17 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Dave, was it very L00 sounding?

No. Just from my experience, I don’t think the small body with maple works very well. I may try a NL 12 fret, maple, aged. I think the deeper body and aged top would work. I also had a newer L1 f-hole with the maple b&s. Did not like it. I have a few maple acoustics I really like but they’re all 16” or larger. ‘41 Regal Recording King, DIF, L5 and a Super 400.