Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Hummingbird

SchultzGirls

Hello everyone.  My daughter plays a vintage B20 but has grown and is ready for her forever guitar.  She has played the J45, SJ and Hummingbird at Chicago Music Exchange and is dead set on the feel and sound of the Hummingbird...but also the look (she's a 15 year old so she loves the look).  

She's done some research and is requesting that I get her a Bird from '93-2008 and prefers the Tabacco Burst or Honey Burst finishes over others.  

However, there seems to be many models (Standard, Deluxe, TV, etc) and many different tone wood combos including short runs like birds eye or quilted maple, koa, etc. 

She plays a good mix of strumming and picking and is looking for a gigging workhorse.  

Any Bird guys or gals out there that can redirect me to some good posts or websites that help to demystify the different options? Thanks in advance. 

She spoke with a luthier friend that suggested this is the best period of consistent workmanship and tone wood quality (outside of 60’s).  I believe his advice was given due to the fact that we’ll likely buy online without the ability to play the instrument first… so he thought these years represented the best chance of getting a quality guitar.  (Unsure though)

Ah interesting. Well, if she likes the pickguard, the print wore off easily from 93-03ish so that could be a turn off.  Also, I am not the biggest fan of 90s Gibson's from a QC perspective. They were producing too many designs and were all over the place. They started to narrow their focus as we got into the 2000s and the quality got better.

Otherwise, the Hummingbird really only had one production version until 2007. That is when they introduced 2 lines: the Modern Classic and True Vintage. The Modern Classic was just their typical production Hummingbird (grover tuners, printed pickguard, plug in ready). The True Vintage was for those looking to spend more for vintage details (lighter bracing, moulded pickguard, vintage tuners, no pickup, etc). 

Again there are limited and special runs, but these are the 2 most common. I currently have a 2008 True Vintage and for me - that's one of my forever guitars.

Ditto on early 90's. Too many construction experiments. I've had a few from the 93-94 era and although they were nice guitars, I did not keep any of them.  I think the 2005 was when things started being consistently good then when Ren left in 2012 it started to fall off culminating with the 2018 bankruptcy. When KKR (the new ownership) took over it started coming back. My personal experience over the past few years has been very positive. 

If she's mainly attracted to the looks, probably any 'Bird in good shape will due.  I had two standards, 2007 and 2013. Both very nice. The short scale, square shoulder, mahogany back and sides gives that classic sound pretty much like a Country Western.

Edited by Dave F

What I had always heard was the '93 to '94 were not considered Bozeman's best years when it came to build quality as they were overproducing for the Centennial.  Can't speak to the truth of it all because I was not there. Just what I had heard.  Also, even though I have been playing 60 some odd years I have never drunk deeply from the Tone Wood Kool Aid.  Way too much goes into making sound come out of a guitar to single out the lumber as a main factor.  I always figured if anything bracing was the heart of an acoustic.

My only advice would be not to overthink it all.  There are only two kinds of guitars out there.  Those you like and those you do not like as much.

Edited by zombywoof

From here the recommendation will be : True Vintage from 2012 onwards, , , perhaps even into the newer torrefied models that saw light of day in 16 or 17. 

I had one of the 167 from 2008 - not bad, but a significantly lesser Bird than the 2012 purchased 10 years ago. It was so good I had fly in another.                                                                                                             This 1 month older guitar was different though. The bridge was simply higher ! which gave it more volume. The idea was to keep the 2 a while, then pick the fav.                                                                               Eeehh, , , they still are around. . . 

Also had a yellow Standard from more or less the same year. It was fine yet kind of too sweet. And had not dot over the i.

Btw. you don't have to be 15 to dig the looks. The reddish/caramel TV in its kinky case is irresistible for a vintage geezer like myself, , , and we are quite a bunch. .

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My only advice would be not to overthink it all.  There are only two kinds of guitars out there.  Those you like and those you do not like as much.

Bingo.

Buy from a reputable dealer who will take it back if she doesn't love it and get this done before somebody changes your mind.

Best of luck, they're fantastic guitars.

• Like 1

Many think the HBird is one of the nicest looking acoustics out there. I’m guessing THAT is the main criteria your daughter is considering, as opposed to  tone or “the best era/vintage”.   She may have done a lot of on line googling/oogling of Koa and Quilted Maple (2 of the prettiest woods out there), and narrowed her preference to a particular shade of sunburst, but you might consider a halfway step before getting her the top of the line.  Chances are she will move on from guitars to other things soon.  Chances even better in 2-3 years when she graduates from HS.   If she gets her forever guitar now, it will possibly be the end of “the journey” for her. It could wind up sitting in her trunk outside her dorm room over some 3 day weekend.   This is based on having a grown up daughter and 6 granddaughter.  You know best,  most certainly.   To answer your question,  the Vintage or True Vintage models are probably the “best”.  Koa and Maple are not the “official’ tone wood that made it famous.   G’Luck.  

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Many think the HBird is one of the nicest looking acoustics out there. I’m guessing THAT is the main criteria your daughter is considering, as opposed to  tone or “the best era/vintage”.   She may have done a lot of on line googling/oogling of Koa and Quilted Maple (2 of the prettiest woods out there), and narrowed her preference to a particular shade of sunburst, but you might consider a halfway step before getting her the top of the line.  Chances are she will move on from guitars to other things soon.  Chances even better in 2-3 years when she graduates from HS.   If she gets her forever guitar now, it will possibly be the end of “the journey” for her. It could wind up sitting in her trunk outside her dorm room over some 3 day weekend.   This is based on having a grown up daughter and 6 granddaughter.  You know best,  most certainly.   To answer your question,  the Vintage or True Vintage models are probably the “best”.  Koa and Maple are not the “official’ tone wood that made it famous.   G’Luck.  

Wise words Forty =D>

• Like 1

Found another mighty fine sounding Bird yesterday. It's a torrified 2017er.

Some question whether the H-birds can be f-picked. Isn't heard here, but the answer is yes.                                                                                                                   

The sublime separation provides an excellent tonal 'overvue' - yet the highs can be a little tinny.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, SchultzGirls said:

Hello everyone.  My daughter plays a vintage B20 but has grown and is ready for her forever guitar.  She has played the J45, SJ and Hummingbird at Chicago Music Exchange and is dead set on the feel and sound of the Hummingbird...but also the look (she's a 15 year old so she loves the look).  

She's done some research and is requesting that I get her a Bird from '93-2008 and prefers the Tabacco Burst or Honey Burst finishes over others.  

However, there seems to be many models (Standard, Deluxe, TV, etc) and many different tone wood combos including short runs like birds eye or quilted maple, koa, etc. 

She plays a good mix of strumming and picking and is looking for a gigging workhorse.  

Any Bird guys or gals out there that can redirect me to some good posts or websites that help to demystify the different options? Thanks in advance. 

I think, by now, you realize you asked what time it is and got told how to build a watch!

I have a 2010 Hummingbird 12-String...FOR SURE the nicest 12-String I've ever had my hands on.   Honey-Burst with Mahogany back & sides.

I also have a 2011 Hummingbird Custom Koa...it's sound is incredible.... the short scale and Koa wood makes it challenge my Dove for top spot in my guitar line-up.

Read and take heed....these guy know their stuff on guitars.

First off, thank you to all who took the time to respond. I’ve read every response multiple times and really appreciate the information..  Forty, although I appreciate your advice on a mid range guitar, my 15 year old has been playing for over 10 years and has played Lollapalooza, Summerfest and many other major festivals and clubs.  She gigs about 100 days a year and is extremely committed.  We started her off with a J15 and a 70 B20.  She’s 5’8 with long arms and fingers so we are ready for the next step.  Yes, admittedly, she does love the look of the hummingbird. She’s played a 1964 J45 and a 1958 SJ in her studio sessions and still wants a Bird.  She claims it’s feel and Tone but, I bet it’s mainly fashion.  🙂

again, you’ve all been extremely helpful. Thanks for the advice!  Let the search continue!

13 hours ago, SchultzGirls said:

First off, thank you to all who took the time to respond. I’ve read every response multiple times and really appreciate the information..  Forty, although I appreciate your advice on a mid range guitar, my 15 year old has been playing for over 10 years and has played Lollapalooza, Summerfest and many other major festivals and clubs.  She gigs about 100 days a year and is extremely committed.  We started her off with a J15 and a 70 B20.  She’s 5’8 with long arms and fingers so we are ready for the next step.  Yes, admittedly, she does love the look of the hummingbird. She’s played a 1964 J45 and a 1958 SJ in her studio sessions and still wants a Bird.  She claims it’s feel and Tone but, I bet it’s mainly fashion.  🙂

again, you’ve all been extremely helpful. Thanks for the advice!  Let the search continue!

I worked in a music store from 1965 until I turned 18 in 1967.   While there, we got in a new Hummingbird...and when the store was empty, I'd take it off the wall and play it.    At the time I was playing a Fender Jaguar, so the Hummingbird was a wholly different experience.

I have to say, I lusted after that guitar for YEARS...I never had such an exquisite instrument in my hands in my entire life.   I did not have the resources to buy that one, or any other 'Bird for most of my life.

You daughter has good taste!

Can you post a link to her performing anywhere?   I'd love to see her play.

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I worked in a music store from 1965 until I turned 18 in 1967.   While there, we got in a new Hummingbird...and when the store was empty, I'd take it off the wall and play it.    At the time I was playing a Fender Jaguar, so the Hummingbird was a wholly different experience.

I have to say, I lusted after that guitar for YEARS...I never had such an exquisite instrument in my hands in my entire life.   I did not have the resources to buy that one, or any other 'Bird for most of my life.

Thx for sharing ~ stories like this creates pictures for my inner album.

Wonder if it had the ceramic or wooden saddle 😺

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Thx for sharing ~ stories like this creates pictures for my inner album.

Wonder if it had the ceramic or wooden saddle 😺

HAHAHAHA.... I sure as heck don't recall.

The REST of the story is that my wonderful bride somehow saved up enough money to buy me a guitar as a gift.   It was 1980, and he had been married just 2 years.... our son was still a baby, and we had just bought a new home....we were BEYOND broke!

She had always heard me tell about the Gibson Hummingbird I played in the music store all those years before....and so she bought me my Gibson Dove.   She said she remembered the guitar I was so enamored with was a Gibson brand and some kind of bird model.    I have to say I LOVE that guitar....it's so special because of the sacrifices she had to make to be able to buy it for me.

• Like 1

Funny to hear you say this. When my daughter was 15 she too lusted after the gibson hummingbird.  For her 16th birthday I bought her a 2005 Hummingbird standard. It was and is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. It has a honey burst finish. She treasures that guitar, and will treasure it long after I’m gone. I don’t think you will lament buying it for her.  I certainly have no regrets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

She may prefer a more comfortable depth, like a Studio Walnut, over the perfect syrupy un plugged traditional Bird.

Creative thinking - some may add "but they have no flora-fauna on the pickguard and that is what mesmerises the girl".

They may be wrong - a percentage of the walnut Studio Birds seem to feature the wildlife scenery.

But with lesser trumpet-flowers and no butterfly ~ Gibson-9-6-500x750.jpg

12 hours ago, Mime said:

Funny to hear you say this. When my daughter was 15 she too lusted after the gibson hummingbird.  For her 16th birthday I bought her a 2005 Hummingbird standard. It was and is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. It has a honey burst finish. She treasures that guitar, and will treasure it long after I’m gone. I don’t think you will lament buying it for her.  I certainly have no regrets. 

Simply a great axe!