Gibson Brands Forums

GAS is back

Rabs

Tnx guys. While I don't wanna rain on Rabs parade, briefly, I have given it some thought. And nothing is going to happen without bouncing it off y'all first as I'm not totally confident in the mod. SGs are '19 Faded G400 and '21 Gib '61 Std.

Thought about reverse of this on the IBG bird. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FclVSYU9k 

Anyway, I will start another thread so as to get it right. And I do hope y'all will chime in.

Thnx Rabs..... Still hopin it goes your way bro.

Edited by CROWB8

28 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Tnx guys. While I don't wanna rain on Rabs parade, briefly, I have given it some thought. And nothing is going to happen without bouncing it off y'all first as I'm not totally confident in the mod. SGs are '19 Faded G400 and '21 Gib '61 Std.

Thought about reverse of this on the IBG bird. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FclVSYU9k 

Anyway, I will start another thread so as to get it right. And I do hope y'all will chime in.

Thnx Rabs..... Still hopin it goes your way bro.

Post what you want man.  The original intention of this thread is over.. Well for now anyway  🙂 

• Thanks 1

I'm late to the party but glad you got past the initial GAS for that LP Lite.  It was pretty (in the pictures, but apparently not as good in person) but either of your 336s is way more guitar than a LP Lite.  I've owned both and there is nothing spectacular about a Lite other than it's comfortable to play.  If you gig a lot and have back problems it's a great guitar because you can get LP sound without the weight.  I've known Rabs long enough to know that he isn't gigging much anymore.  Rabs has some cools LPs, and two really cool 336s and I am so glad that cooler heads prevailed and that his collection wasn't broken up for the sake of a guitar with a rare color. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

One thing that makes me want Rabs to get this is that it isn’t a traditional LP and it probably isn’t all made out of mahogany with maple cap 

As far as I know, it does have a maple cap. Just a thinner Mahogany back.

And no.. It didnt look as good in real life.. Several dents and dings and the finish looked no where near as nice as it does in the pictures. Had it actually looked like that in real life I probably would have bought it. I would swear he has air brushed those pics to make it look better..  As I have said, it wasnt terrible by any means for a thirty odd year old guitar..

Its why it wasnt worth how much he was asking.. If it had been that immaculate it probably would have been worth the asking price.

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I'm late to the party but glad you got past the initial GAS for that LP Lite.  It was pretty (in the pictures, but apparently not as good in person) but either of your 336s is way more guitar than a LP Lite.  I've owned both and there is nothing spectacular about a Lite other than it's comfortable to play.  If you gig a lot and have back problems it's a great guitar because you can get LP sound without the weight.  I've known Rabs long enough to know that he isn't gigging much anymore.  Rabs has some cools LPs, and two really cool 336s and I am so glad that cooler heads prevailed and that his collection wasn't broken up for the sake of a guitar with a rare color. 👍

I mostly agree with all of that. BUT I have always liked the LP Lites or Less Plus guitars. It was mostly the colour but also the fact its a custom with the diamond headstock and ebony board..  Its just nice.

I have now been thinking of making one that colour myself  😄 

Edited by Rabs

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

I mostly agree with all of that. BUT I have always liked the LP Lites or Less Plus guitars. It was mostly the colour but also the fact its a custom with the diamond headstock and ebony board..  Its just nice.

I have now been thinking of making one that colour myself  😄 

Great idea! 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Great idea! 

I tell you what though.. I have had a quick look around and finding that kind of paint and colour wont be easy..  It may actually be easier if I can get a car spray place to do it for me...  Hmmm....

30 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I tell you what though.. I have had a quick look around and finding that kind of paint and colour wont be easy..  It may actually be easier if I can get a car spray place to do it for me...  Hmmm....

Another great idea!

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

It may actually be easier if I can get a car spray place to do it for me

Might be a little problematic. Now I'm just a lowly aircraft/auto mechanic. And you might already know this but,

One way they do it is to get a color code from a given manufacturer. Even if gibby has such, unlikely the auto industry has the "make up" on catolog.

Another way would be to shoot it with a gun that will dictate what it takes to replicate the color. But that requires an example in hand. And the clear would need to be removed first. But even then, not sure if the sparkly/flake or what ever could be factored in.

Still, another way the paint industry matches the color, again, is to have a paint chip or sample to analyze.

Just what I've *gathered* workin next to those guys over the years. As such, may not be totally acurate.

Does gibby even have or sell thouch up paint? IDK that answer. Would be nice. Maybe some high end reputable luthiers have the answer.

Never hurts to enquire.

In any event, I'm still hoping you can strike a deal and get that critter. Every time someone here gets that "gem", and even though I'm not ppart of it, I find meself getting a little giggly right along with them. But I'm just weird that way.

Edited by CROWB8

I have found some acrylic paint that looks similar.. How it applies to wood and if I can put some clear over the top will require some more research.. The red one looks pretty similar and the burgundy looks nice too. A bit darker.

8JlKB8M.jpg

pd91wex.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 5

Edited by Rabs

12 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I have found some acrylic paint that looks similar.. How it applies to wood and if I can put some clear over the top will require some more research.. The red one looks pretty similar and the burgundy looks nice too. A bit darker.

8JlKB8M.jpg

pd91wex.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 5

That's a tough one. Kinda like 'em both. Suppose it might depend on the platform. Be it with chrome or gold accents. Which color would compliment either theme. And some guitar shapes just don't look right with a given color scheme or theme.

Glad it's you making that call. Never had the luxury to experiment like that. That is going to be very interesting to see which direction you go.

Good luck bro. Me thinks you're off to a good start.

At the risk of sayin something you might already know.

You'll need a thinner with the preval. Figure, base coat, color, clear. Each one maybe consist of several coats. I'd start by doing test sprays on wood. Determine base color, dark or light. Which darkens or lightens color. Then clear can darken the final result.

I've done a lot of work over 20 yrs with preval and airbrushing in general. But never on wood. Modeling was a hobby of mine till I lost my sight and dexterity.

There are YT clips out there. Using preval no less. Cause you're gonna have a drinking issue with your base if you start with bare wood.

Just tryin to hep bro. It can be a lot of fun.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Thanks 1

Another snippit.

You don't necessarily need to strip an existing platform down to bare wood. You could just remove the clear, getting into color, and rough up/prep to accept the color you choose. You would treat the existing color as your base coat. Even if they be disimilar mediems. In that event, many *mist* coats come into play. That and a lot of patiences.

I'd like to see you start a build thread. No doubt there are many here who have done this b4.

I would certainly enjoy watching you create your dream.

Just now, CROWB8 said:

Another snippit.

You don't necessarily need to strip an existing platform down to bare wood. You could just remove the clear, getting into color, and rough up/prep to accept the color you choose. You would treat the existing color as your base coat. Even if they be disimilar mediems. In that event, many *mist* coats come into play. That and a lot of patiences.

I'd like to see you start a build thread. No doubt there are many here who have done this b4.

I would certainly enjoy watching you create your dream.

Cheers..  And if I do this it will be from scratch.  Many years ago now I started  a thread on here where I turned a door in to  a guitar.. And have made several since..  The guys who have been on here long enough know all about it... I havent done one for a while though but do intend to start doing it again soon.. I have some amazing London Plane to work with

G3wAFNX.jpg

LrGU5t1.jpg

bPRbb3F.jpg

8X7qAt6.jpg 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Cheers..  And if I do this it will be from scratch.  Many years ago now I started  a thread on here where I turned a door in to  a guitar.. And have made several since..  The guys who have been on here long enough know all about it... I havent done one for a while though but do intend to start doing it again soon.. I have some amazing London Plane to work with

G3wAFNX.jpg

LrGU5t1.jpg

bPRbb3F.jpg

8X7qAt6.jpg 

WOW!

Tnx for puttin up with my obvious elementary input. *Foot in mouth* gif goes here.

Me thinks I'll just back off a wee bit and enjoy the flight. Looking forward to your build sir. It's gonna be fun. 🙃

2 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

WOW!

Tnx for puttin up with my obvious elementary input. *Foot in mouth* gif goes here.

Me thinks I'll just back off a wee bit and enjoy the flight. Looking forward to your build sir. It's gonna be fun. 🙃

Thats cool.. As you say, you are just trying to help.

As it goes. Most of my builds were natural finish so actually the painting side is not my forte but I have watched lots and lots of videos on the subject. I used Nitro for my first couple but soon moved on to Tru Oil which is much much easier than spraying.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

WOW!

Well I think I have my spray sorted..  I know a guy over here in the UK who has been making his own Nitro for well over 20 years and apparently has even supplied Gibson Europe, so I know its good. I asked him about the acrylic paint idea and he said he can make me some cans of Nitro in that colour if I want. So I am currently awaiting a quote.

In saying that, if I am now going to use Nitro it means we will all have to wait till it warms up a bit over here.. Currently it snowing.. So yeah.. Not ideal for spraying. Theres a place I use to do my woodwork these days that does have a spray booth BUT I wont have anywhere there to hang it and let it dry which is an issue.

So we will see what happens next.

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well I think I have my spray sorted..  I know a guy over here in the UK who has been making his own Nitro for well over 20 years and apparently has even supplied Gibson Europe, so I know its good. I asked him about the acrylic paint idea and he said he can make me some cans of Nitro in that colour if I want. So I am currently awaiting a quote.

In saying that, if I am now going to use Nitro it means we will all have to wait till it warms up a bit over here.. Currently it snowing.. So yeah.. Not ideal for spraying. Theres a place I use to do my woodwork these days that does have a spray booth BUT I wont have anywhere there to hang it and let it dry which is an issue.

So we will see what happens next.

Yup. Knowing a *guy* helps. Excellent bro. Humidity and temps are a b*tch. Especialy with nitro and urethane having extended gassing times. Acrylics and enamals are a bit easier to deal with.

Edit,

Guitar out of a door. Who'd a thunk it. 😆

Edited by CROWB8

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

Yup. Knowing a *guy* helps. Excellent bro. Humidity and temps are a b*tch. Especialy with nitro and urethane having extended gassing times. Acrylics and enamals are a bit easier to deal with.

Edit,

Guitar out of a door. Who'd a thunk it. 😆

Yeah I had been unemployed for a while and was going bananas so decided to start a project and posted it all on here. The thread is still around but all the pictures were removed when Photobucket decided to charge for the privilege which is a shame as it was a cool thread.  

On 3/8/2023 at 12:02 AM, Rabs said:

G3wAFNX.jpg

LrGU5t1.jpg

bPRbb3F.jpg

8X7qAt6.jpg 

I've wondered if you were still building guitars. they always looked great. I had wanted a Rabswood ...