Gibson Brands Forums

GAS is back

Rabs

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

Well I hope you get it then!  At that price he must be open to offers...:-k

I will bring my Humbucker 336 along..  He did say he would do a deal so we will see what I can do..  At the moment there are second hand 336s going for £3800 (new ones are £4399) so maybe he will even do a swap?  It seems to make sense to me to keep the P90 one out of both of them, it far more unique. If that happens I will still have a 336 AND this beauty above..  Obviously I have to inspect and play it first..  But I cant imagine me not liking it unless the neck is too chunky.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

It seems to make sense to me to keep the P90 one out of both of them, it far more unique

Not that I matter. But I completely agree there sir.

In your corner bro.

-------

N maybe you will get that DBS after all too. We can dream.

• Thanks 1

Wow -

Thomann have got in stock  CS 336 in cherry for  £3555, sunburst £4199.    These aren't on the Gibson pages here though the 339 still is.  :-k

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_cs_336_figured_faded_cherry_3.htm

But most people are asking at least £4k for an older s/h one like yours.   They all look very nice but that P90 one is a bit special IMO. 🎸

1 minute ago, jdgm said:

Wow -

Thomann have got in stock  CS 336 in cherry for  £3555, sunburst £4199.    These aren't on the Gibson pages here though the 339 still is.  :-k

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_cs_336_figured_faded_cherry_3.htm

But most people are asking at least £4k for an older s/h one like yours.   They all look very nice but that P90 one is a bit special IMO. 🎸

That is a good price..  As said before.. The differences in prices depending on where you look is crazy.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:03 PM, Rabs said:

Just when you thought you were safe from GAS after acquiring two amazing 336s..  I thought I would be done even wanting another guitar.. But this one popped up on my screen and my god, I dont need it, I never even thought of having one that colour. But man, I want it  😄   Its that much out of my price range even if I wanted to buy another guitar. But I still want it ...  Man does this never stop...

Its a 1988 LP Lite..  But just look at that colour.

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 1#Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 3

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 9

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 5

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 7

Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite 1988 Metallic Sunset image 4

Seriously Rabs, you should get that ... I haven't seen that color before.  That's something .

2 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Seriously Rabs, you should get that ... I haven't seen that color before.  That's something .

The wheels are in motion as such so the opportunity is there.. Maybe in real life I wont like it so much or the neck is too thick or he doesnt offer me a good enough deal..   So, we will see.. Its just when I found out how close it was to me, it seemed like I was being guided by a higher force or sommin..  Well thats what im gonna tell myself anyway  😄  It would be stupid at least, not to go and try it out.

You will all know soon enough if I do get it  🙂 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

I will bring my Humbucker 336 along..  He did say he would do a deal so we will see what I can do..  At the moment there are second hand 336s going for £3800 (new ones are £4399) so maybe he will even do a swap?  It seems to make sense to me to keep the P90 one out of both of them, it far more unique. If that happens I will still have a 336 AND this beauty above..  Obviously I have to inspect and play it first..  But I cant imagine me not liking it unless the neck is too chunky.

Any news Rabs?

nervous-nail-biter.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok.. So I went along and checked this thing out.

It was pretty nice but doesnt look as clean as it does in the pictures. Not that there was much wrong with it for a guitar of that age, just a few dents and dings and minor stuff..  It played pretty well, not too chunky a neck. He almost laughed at me when I said about a swap...  He offered me 3k for my 336 and every excuse under the sun as to why he wouldnt offer more. Like he was moaning that the 336 has 57 Classics instead of custombuckers and was saying that because they are still making them its not worth as much (he hadnt even done any research before I got there. When I told him what a new one cost these days he seemed quite surprised. I said I had come willing to part exchange and pay an extra 400 to which he didnt reply.

So at that point I said I would have to go and think about it. 

I think he would have been more interested in the P90 336 I have but thats staying with me.. Im not stupid  😄   And I will think on it more I guess..  The colour of this LP is quite special and obviously they wont be making any more like that. So we will see.

2 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Ok so he's trying his luck. Good job you gave him something to think about as well.

If I was in your shoes, I would play my (er.. your) HB CS-336 this evening, and the answer would likely present itself at some point.

I do understand his position.. Hes a dealer not a traditional shop..  So he has this room full of guitars..  He was saying that if they had stopped making 336s he would have done a swap and put it up for 6k.. Lol..  One of those guys....  And he is right in a way that they dont make the LP Lite any more and its unique and will sell to the right person. This LP Lite and he has another black one are like the only ones for sale where as my humbucker 336 is not so unique..  So for him, having a guitar that only he has I guess is his power in this situation. He knows if I really want that guitar I cant get it anywhere else.

I am less excited about it than I was before today for sure...  And really I am in no rush. If it were to get sold, it gets sold. If he still has it in a month or so maybe he will be open to another offer.

Its all good. I do love the humbucker 336 as well. And even he said he really liked the way it looks. So its not like I loose anything either way. 

49 minutes ago, Rabs said:

It was pretty nice but doesnt look as clean as it does in the pictures. Not that there was much wrong with it for a guitar of that age, just a few dents and dings and minor stuff..  It played pretty well, not too chunky a neck. He almost laughed at me when I said about a swap...  He offered me 3k for my 336 and every excuse under the sun as to why he wouldnt offer more. Like he was moaning that the 336 has 57 Classics instead of custombuckers and was saying that because they are still making them its not worth as much (he hadnt even done any research before I got there. When I told him what a new one cost these days he seemed quite surprised. I said I had come willing to part exchange and pay an extra 400 to which he didnt reply.

I think he would have been more interested in the P90 336 I have but thats staying with me.. Im not stupid  😄   And I will think on it more I guess..  The colour of this LP is quite special and obviously they wont be making any more like that. So we will see.

you played it smart.  and I love 57 Classics. have them in my 335. 

1 minute ago, Karloff said:

you played it smart.  and I love 57 Classics. have them in my 335. 

Lol.. He even got out a 339 with custombuckers in it and was like, try that and you will hear the difference..  I mean it did sound good but was hard to compare to the 336 as they are constructed totally differently..  Anyway it is what it is. Like a lot of people he thinks cos its custom and the custombuckers are more expensive they MUST be better.. Of course thats all subjective anyway so whatever 🙂 

26 minutes ago, Rabs said:

This LP Lite and he has another black one are like the only ones for sale where as my humbucker 336 is not so unique..  So for him, having a guitar that only he has I guess is his power in this situation. He knows if I really want that guitar I cant get it anywhere else.

I had a quick search. Is his black one on ebay for £2850? 

I know they are not coming up too often, but if you are no longer in a hurry, you could play the waiting game too, as you likely did with the 336s. Its just a question how special that one is to you. 

Walking away today seems the right thing. 

1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

I had a quick search. Is his black one on ebay for £2850? 

I know they are not coming up too often, but if you are no longer in a hurry, you could play the waiting game too, as you likely did with the 336s. Its just a question how special that one is to you. 

Walking away today seems the right thing. 

This is the black one

https://reverb.com/uk/item/63083190-gibson-les-paul-custom-lite-1988-ebony

And yeah. I think the pink one has been on sale for about 5 months.. I doubt its going to sell any time soon. He said that his UK sales are dead and the last few sales have been to the US....

Edited by Rabs

6 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Rabs - to be honest, I rather have your 336 than the Lester. But, that is me...

It is an amazing guitar but I always did think that having 2 of them was a bit overkill 😄   I got the P90 one as it was too good to refuse.. Its mad when you think that its a made 2 measure guitar, pretty unique yet it cost £400 less than the humbucker one which you can still buy new today.. I always thought it was a bit weird but have found nothing wrong with it at all. Actually apart from the fretboard which is a bit scratched up. Im not sure if someone tried to clean it who didnt know what they were doing or if it came that way from the factory (I hope not).. But it wasnt an issue for me as I know how to clean it up pretty easily.

The prices in the guitar market today are bonkers. And the way the go up and down constantly is annoying. BUT if you pick the right time to buy it proves you can still get the odd good deal if you know what you are looking for.

Edited by Rabs

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

He wants to Retail his to you & take yours in at Wholesale.. That’s what Dealers do.. Standard practice..

If it ain’t Magic, pass…..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Lol.. He even got out a 339 with custombuckers in it and was like, try that and you will hear the difference..  I mean it did sound good but was hard to compare to the 336 as they are constructed totally differently..  Anyway it is what it is. Like a lot of people he thinks cos its custom and the custombuckers are more expensive they MUST be better.. Of course thats all subjective anyway so whatever 🙂 

exactly ... smh lol. this guy sounds annoying lol.