Gibson Brands Forums

GAS is back

Rabs

9 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Wow cool find Rabs never seen one like that before 

If I didnt already have two I would snap that up...  Always liked pelham blue and the diamond sound holes look cool.

I dont understand the pricing these days..  Something like this or my P90 336 goes for £2600 ish (if no one buys it, it will go down to that) that is rare and beautiful yet a standard 336 which you can find loads of goes for more?? Doesnt make any sense.

Edited by Rabs

17 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Nice..  @jdgm will like that  🙂 

Yes, very nice......mine has a Bigsby and P94s.  [thumbup]

There are a couple of fine-looking Gibson L4s for sale on ebay for not too much more (£4118), however they are in USA.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:11 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Wow cool find Rabs never seen one like that before 

And not surprisingly, that one has gone now.. Probably bought by a dealer who will try and sell it for 5k it was up for sale for like 13 hours...... Hopefully bought by a player that will play and love it...

Ok..   I got wood  😄  

Went to a local timber place that does Sapele cos I want this to be traditional mahogany and maple and the place I worked at only does English hardwood.

LOADS of stuff to select from.

EDKZW0W.jpg

wFboj5k.jpg

hIWbUeX.jpg

Heres the neck piece I found which they cut up for me so I didnt have to buy the whole thing

89UPjtD.jpg

And my haul..  I had to buy a 3 meter long piece but thats enough for three bodies.. That and the neck cost me just over £100.

hPjU9MA.jpg

Then over to my old work place to look for some maple.

cszLvp3.jpg

And this is the piece I got..  Wide enough for a one piece top. £40. Would have been cheaper but they only had 50mm stock.

iLwYHWe.jpg

You can see even before its clean theres some flame going on there. Not that anyone will see it once its sprayed but hey ho 🙂

cUNr8pB.jpg

Then I snuck in to the workshop and cleaned one of the Sapele bits.

bEiSWqz.jpg

NICE!!

w1K8TJv.jpg

W1B4RHb.jpg

Nice.. So I will book a place at the workshop next week and get going on this build. I will start a new build thread for it though 🙂 

QkLL7ab.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 5

On 3/22/2023 at 6:03 PM, Rabs said:

Ok..   I got wood  😄  

Went to a local timber place that does Sapele cos I want this to be traditional mahogany and maple and the place I worked at only does English hardwood.

LOADS of stuff to select from.

EDKZW0W.jpg

wFboj5k.jpg

hIWbUeX.jpg

Heres the neck piece I found which they cut up for me so I didnt have to buy the whole thing

89UPjtD.jpg

And my haul..  I had to buy a 3 meter long piece but thats enough for three bodies.. That and the neck cost me just over £100.

hPjU9MA.jpg

Then over to my old work place to look for some maple.

cszLvp3.jpg

And this is the piece I got..  Wide enough for a one piece top. £40. Would have been cheaper but they only had 50mm stock.

iLwYHWe.jpg

You can see even before its clean theres some flame going on there. Not that anyone will see it once its sprayed but hey ho 🙂

cUNr8pB.jpg

Then I snuck in to the workshop and cleaned one of the Sapele bits.

bEiSWqz.jpg

NICE!!

w1K8TJv.jpg

W1B4RHb.jpg

Nice.. So I will book a place at the workshop next week and get going on this build. I will start a new build thread for it though 🙂 

QkLL7ab.jpg

I'm excited about it now! 

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm excited about it now! 

7 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

In a movie context, this was your trailer. I'll be there with pop corn and root beer in hand a watchin. 

Ha..  Well im not sure it will be that exciting  🙂  And also now, I am waiting on some stuff to be delivered so it may not be till the week after now but I may go in next week anyway and continue with some of the builds I started last year to get my luthier chops up a bit 😄 

Two London Plane guitars, one all walnut and one flamed top, all double cuts...  So I do have plenty to do anyway.

• Like 1

Got some templates through today.. Apparently based on 59 and laser cut. Far more accurate than I can be and saves me a hell of a lot of prep time.

Have done some measurements.. Its not quite perfect.. The cut away bits where the neck and headstock meet arent quite right and while the calculation of the fretboards 12th fret and the bridge are right, when I line the fretboard blank up to one of my Gibsons wile the overall length is right the spaces between the frets dont quite match up to any of my LPs... However thats ok as I dont need those measurements. Usually my fretboards come pre slotted (even though that guy has stopped selling them now 😮 )...

KEPhBjE.jpg

Also I will say right now..  This will still be a RabsWood guitar..  Never would I make a fake Gibson (or fake anything).. Copy, in this case yes, fake, NOPE as I would never do that. In fact I have resisted making copies for the whole time I have been building. The way I always saw it, if you want a Fender or a Gibson, go buy one. Theres loads out there.. So I always tried to make my guitars just a bit different.

This is a personal project cos I loved that LP Lite I saw and there arent any more (not that colour anyway). And I guess  this is a small test for me just to see how close I can get and how much I have learned over the years.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

I always tried to make my guitars just a bit different.

This is a personal project cos I loved that LP Lite I saw and there arent any more (not that colour anyway). And I guess  this is a small test for me just to see how close I can get and how much I have learned over the years.

The wood choice on your guitars stands out as being different. I'm sure there are more subtle differences as well, but that is what struck me most.

22 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

The wood choice on your guitars stands out as being different. I'm sure there are more subtle differences as well, but that is what struck me most.

Yeah. That probably was my main thing... Let the wood do the talking... I think I only ever did two coloured guitars and both were trans finish... All the rest were natural. Also I used the snake head type headstock and a smaller headstock angle..

7 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Are you sure the template is made for 24 3/4”? Gibson scale length is generally referred to as 24 3/4” but it varies slightly in different time periods. 

Hmm, im not 100% sure..  I have been using these pre slotted boards since I started doing this (after wasting about £80 of rosewood trying to do the frets slots myself)..  So I  have always had them pre done..  I think the very first time I used one I think I did the same thing but used it anyway. And all of my guitars have had zero issues with intonation...

So today I went and measured the template against one of my pre slotted boards and it lined up exactly... So.. Yeah, its a bit weird..  But then we are talking tiny differences. I know some of my boards have been 24.6". I always make sure I double check the scale length before I drill for the bridge... 

Edited by Rabs

1 minute ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Rabs I’ve been looking at 336 style build threads and I gotta say it’s something that we should give a shot one day. 

http://sveopravljenjuelektricnegitare.weebly.com/uploads/9/2/8/0/9280515/gibson_cs_356.pdf

Ohh nice.. Thanks for that I will keep that for future use [thumbup]  I gotta get these other builds done first though for sure..  In a way I have built a similar guitar that was chambered but it just didnt have any F holes (that flamed blue DC I did with P90s)