Gibson Brands Forums

Lacquer Checking

Hype

Hi guys,

I got my new Gibson EP Dove on Sunday, noticed though the same day there is a straight (seam line?) lacquer check down the middle from the bridge to the bout. It’s noticeable in some lighting if you are really looking for it.

Since it’s a new guitar can anyone advise if it’s covered by warranty? I suspect not, but figured to ask you experts. Secondly, if not any quick fix? It’s still new so want to keep the new look for a little longer…

Thanks in advance

Gibson Elvis Presley Dove - Lacquer Checking?

Edited by Hype

It does look like the ol' center seam "crack" (not a top crack, or even finish checking, for that matter), and it does suggest what might be a contributing cause to the higher action you'd mentioned in your Gibson Factory Action thread. Do you have any other 'bursted or colored nitro-finished guitars? The humidity in the Bozeman factory might be a good bit different than where your guitar lives, although you haven't mentioned your geographic location. Got a hygrometer? Give it a drink, let it hydrate, don't put any product on it (into the seam), and since it's a new guitar, it just might close up nicely.

43 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It does look like the ol' center seam "crack" (not a top crack, or even finish checking, for that matter), and it does suggest what might be a contributing cause to the higher action you'd mentioned in your Gibson Factory Action thread. Do you have any other 'bursted or colored nitro-finished guitars? The humidity in the Bozeman factory might be a good bit different than where your guitar lives, although you haven't mentioned your geographic location. Got a hygrometer? Give it a drink, let it hydrate, don't put any product on it (into the seam), and since it's a new guitar, it just might close up nicely.

Hi have an Oasis Humidifier and my hygrometer usually reads 48 . I have 2 other acoustics Hummingbird Vintage & J-200 so they are all under the same conditions. As per you suspicions it falls in line with what I was thinking this whole time. I will refrain from using like Gibson Pump Polish or any other stuff for now and let it settle. The guitar did ship in the winter, so many factors at play. I assume also, Gibson’s warranty will not cover finishes cos will that would be a nightmare for them. Even though Gibson charges a lot for these guitars..

Thanks for your feedback & advice.

Since lower humidity is normally thought to make the guitar top sink, resulting in lower action/fret buzz,  maybe something else is at work- you've mentioned the other nice Gibsons you have- and  it sounds like you're up on keeping them happy. Aside from taking the time to let the guitar acclimate before removing it from the shipping box and then the case, there were some suspicions voiced here on the forum coming out of the Covid shutdowns re: the possibility that Gibson may've been moving some of the stages of guitar building a little too fast. Was your Dove already in inventory, or ? ? Have you decoded the serial number for its stamp date? As is always mentioned, let the guitar settle to it's new surroundings before making any adjustments.

Your center seal seam should close up fairly well, keeping in mind that black guitars show everything. But, if down the road, it still bugs you, a luthier competent in finish repair could minimize   the center seam's appearance.

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

Since lower humidity is normally thought to make the guitar top sink, resulting in lower action/fret buzz,  maybe something else is at work- you've mentioned the other nice Gibsons you have- and  it sounds like you're up on keeping them happy. Aside from taking the time to let the guitar acclimate before removing it from the shipping box and then the case, there were some suspicions voiced here on the forum coming out of the Covid shutdowns re: the possibility that Gibson may've been moving some of the stages of guitar building a little too fast. Was your Dove already in inventory, or ? ? Have you decoded the serial number for its stamp date? As is always mentioned, let the guitar settle to it's new surroundings before making any adjustments.

Your center seal seam should close up fairly well, keeping in mind that black guitars show everything. But, if down the road, it still bugs you, a luthier competent in finish repair could minimize   the center seam's appearance.

I ordered the guitar last Spring. Gibson did not make the guitar until Nov/Dec 2022. Based on the serial number it is marked at Dec 21, 2022. The “Pre-Package Checklist” shows it was inspected on Jan 23, 2022…I didn’t hear a word until last Sunday that the guitar arrived for pickup at the store. So it’s possible the guitar has been sitting in some kind of storage area for a month and a half. Being winter and all who knows which storage, but if it’s north of the border here it has been fairly cold the past month. We had a very mild Jan and early Feb where it felt like spring temperatures then shortly there after dipped extremely low (almost a 20 degree difference)..

3 hours ago, slimt said:

When did you get the guitar?     Did you by online or pickup at a store? 

Ordered last spring. Gibson was backlogged apparently. Guitar wasn’t made until Nov/Dec 2022. Serial Number indicates Dec 21, 2022. The guitar wasn’t inspected until Jan 23, 2023. I picked it up at the store this past Sunday March 5 when I got the notice that it arrived.

That's a tough one.  Absolutely no reason to accept it if it is a separation.  Can you 'feel' a crack in the nitro with your finger or fingernail ?   As opposed to the line being below the finish? 

I'd undergo the hassle of bringing it to a qualified luthier for an expert opinion  before contacting the store for a resolution.  The question  I guess for him would be -  Is this cosmetic and stabile?    or is it  indicative of a joint that has separated?    THEN you can propose (demand)  an appropriate response:   Fix it cosmetically, if the former ;   replace the guitar if the latter.  

You might, if it's cosmetic, just accept it (dealer's choice).  As noted above - black shows everything  AND 90 years from now, you won't notice it !     Let us know what you decide and how it works out.  

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

That's a tough one.  Absolutely no reason to accept it if it is a separation.  Can you 'feel' a crack in the nitro with your finger or fingernail ?   As opposed to the line being below the finish? 

I'd undergo the hassle of bringing it to a qualified luthier for an expert opinion  before contacting the store for a resolution.  The question  I guess for him would be -  Is this cosmetic and stabile?    or is it  indicative of a joint that has separated?    THEN you can propose (demand)  an appropriate response:   Fix it cosmetically, if the former ;   replace the guitar if the latter.  

You might, if it's cosmetic, just accept it (dealer's choice).  As noted above - black shows everything  AND 90 years from now, you won't notice it !     Let us know what you decide and how it works out.  

I can feel the “crack”. I don’t believe it’s structural. I have a feeling it’s the nitro on top of the center seam that makes it more apparent. And as you and the other user mentioned, it’s an all black guitar which will show practically everything up close. The only other full black guitar of Gibson I have is my Ebony 355 which was finished with a VOS so it was already full upon receiving it. But the EP Dove being a brand spanking new guitar with a clean finish, I was a bit taken a back. I know my guitar will age over time, but sometimes you want to preserve a clean look for as long as you can. Unless of course you are paying for Murphy Lab like my NG-355..

I owned a Martin 000-28 sunburst (loved it). Sold it to my buddy Joe. For one year it loved in his unhumidified house in NJ. And the crack appeared. It’s not full open, you can just feel it and it lets you know it’s there.

humidifying the guitar has helped, but the only way to fix it so you won’t see or feel it now is a refinish?

I cannot judge much from a photo.  What you are seeing, as example, could simply be the glue sinking in the seam which could have resulted from the top not being dried quite enough when the finish was applied to the wood and glue  reacting to the environment surrounding the instrument after it left Bozeman.  Human beings are not infallible and make mistakes while wood moves as the guitar is learning it is no longer a tree.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I cannot judge much from a photo.  What you are seeing, as example, could simply be the glue sinking in the seam which could have resulted from the top not being dried quite enough when the finish was applied to the wood and glue  reacting to the environment surrounding the instrument after it left Bozeman.  Human beings are not infallible and make mistakes while wood moves as the guitar is learning it is no longer a tree.

Pretty much says it all.  Glue will probably 'move' (expand/contract) at a different rate than wood.  That's why houses creak in the middle of the night.  Some here have declared they wouldn't want a black guitar - because of all the fingerprints, smudges, dings and dongs that color shows.  On my J45 face with the sunburst - I notice those things all the time, but rarely anything on the golden part of the top. 

18 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

If it plays & sounds like no other & it’s a one in a million have it repaired by Gibson at the Factory.. Otherwise, Exchange it for one that’s perfect.. You’ve waited this long..

It’s only noticeable when looking for it. I have to take into consideration that it’s all black and boy do marks show. Even after strumming or picking my cloth sleeves with no rivets or buttons can leave swirl marks..I’ll bring it into the store and have them give their opinion..

33 minutes ago, Dave F said:

My SJ200 Elvis was delivered within weeks of the serial number date. No seams showing here.

52742857412_70ca39bef1_w.jpg

Good. For me it depends on the angle and lighting..Here there is nothing and you can see the grain on the top?

EP Dove - Top

29 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Glad to see it's not that severe. From the angle in the first photo, it almost didn't look like it was straight across the center seam.

And you would be correct sir. It wasn’t it began straight then went off the rails….It’s not too bad, but you can see it in the right light…

16 hours ago, Hype said:

. . .  and you can see the grain on the top.

'Hate to say it, but the reflection shown in that last photo would usually be typical of a guitar that was dry. The finish has sunken into the grain- if you were to lightly brush your fingernails across the grain, it would make a whirring sound. Totally reversible on a new guitar. Most likely a combination of things- the volatility of a new nitro finish, a black finish, humidity swings, and Gibson's response to an interest in thinner finishes.