Gibson Brands Forums

Which would you pick?

Hype

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

As I have yet to buy a Gibson which I have not played first, I am not in any kind of a position to say which one I would allow to stay and which two would go.  But if I could only have one Gibson my gut reaction is that none of the three would be it.  But I also think that when it comes to flattops the guitars which put Gibson on the map and defined their sound for decades were the slope shoulder jumbos and L Series guitars.   

Most people love the J-45. The L series are nice too. I would go for an old C&W sloped shoulder or AJ..

14 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Whenever possible, I always prefer to play it first but that doesn't present itself too often.

I usually make sure there's a generous return policy or have it figured out in my mind that I can flip it.

Although the three guitars shown are all nice, I have a DIF (and besides, that Dove has the seam issue 😉 ), I've had a couple Hummingbirds that were nice guitars, but I just didn't care for them, and with the new SJ200, I have the Jumbo guitars covered. So, I'll pass on this group. I think I may be at the end of my perfect guitar quest.

52742857417_c80cb3eab7_w.jpg

That EP J-200..

44 minutes ago, Hype said:

2016 Gibson Hummingbird Vintage

Ouh thanx - better now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Actually may be following the idea, but in a more discrete way.

Here's the 2012 TV ~ tapIcl9.jpg

The brass plate is inspired by member KSDaddy who has one on his 1964 Southern Jumbo - (which I hope still is alive).

A bit faded which is good ~ HDiHWfB.jpg 

21 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Ouh thanx - better now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Actually may be following the idea, but in a more discrete way.

Here's the 2012 TV ~ tapIcl9.jpg

The brass plate is inspired by member KSDaddy who has one on his 1964 Southern Jumbo - (which I hope still is alive).

A bit faded which is good ~ HDiHWfB.jpg 

Definitely good looking birds there…

• Like 1

I guess I took the OP query as  "If you were banished to a deserted island and could only bring one of These Three Guitars with you ..."   I've already got an SJ200,  but I picked  the SJ200 from the 3 in the photo - because ...   I know I love the sound.   I would not kick the other two out of bed for cracker crumbs, of course.  And, one last cliche, I would grab all three if my house were on fire.     BUT - I think the more relevant question  is  - if you were banished to a deserted island,  would you pick Ginger or MaryAnn ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I guess I took the OP query as  "If you were banished to a deserted island and could only bring one of These Three Guitars with you ..."   I've already got an SJ200,  but I picked  the SJ200 from the 3 in the photo - because ...   I know I love the sound.   I would not kick the other two out of bed for cracker crumbs, of course.  And, one last cliche, I would grab all three if my house were on fire.     BUT - I think the more relevant question  is  - if you were banished to a deserted island,  would you pick Ginger or MaryAnn ?  

I would pick the J-200. Not sure if the J-200 is “Ginger” or “MaryAnn”, I would need to ask Gilligan..

6 hours ago, Hype said:

I would pick the J-200. Not sure if the J-200 is “Ginger” or “MaryAnn”, I would need to ask Gilligan..

At my age, I would wind up with Mrs. Howell

Edited by Dave F
  • Haha 1

The ‘64 SJ is alive and well. Given the choices presented I would likely pick the J200 but in my old age I am less tolerant of a 17” body. Ditto for the wide waist of the square shoulders….they’ve always tended to slide around on me. I know they’re not choices but I’d lean towards a slope or J-180. 

As to Ginger and Maryann, the closest I’ve come is the white purse that came from the wardrobe dept and was assigned to Gilligan’s Island. Mrs Howell had many purses… I do have the box set of GI and intend to watch every episode again to look for it. (Why would I NOT have some random thing like that in my house?)

6 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

The ‘64 SJ is alive and well. Given the choices presented I would likely pick the J200 but in my old age I am less tolerant of a 17” body. Ditto for the wide waist of the square shoulders….they’ve always tended to slide around on me. I know they’re not choices but I’d lean towards a slope or J-180. 

As to Ginger and Maryann, the closest I’ve come is the white purse that came from the wardrobe dept and was assigned to Gilligan’s Island. Mrs Howell had many purses… I do have the box set of GI and intend to watch every episode again to look for it. (Why would I NOT have some random thing like that in my house?)

Funny, in '64 I was 12, my Mom was 40, my Grandma was 63 and Lovey (in real life) was 64.

I turn 71 in a couple weeks. I would still pick Maryann., although Natalie Schaffer was an attractive lady in her day.

natalie-schafer_663111.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Regards from my 63er. .

This too has the brass shield ~ sox8NJb.jpg

You love those Gold truss rod covers..anything engraved on them?

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Feh! None of these three.

I have a j-45 which is very nice, so I have all the Gibson acoustic guitars I would ever want or need.

RBSinTo

Many people would attest to the workhorse of the Gibson acoustics.

8 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

J-180 is nice..you have any pics of that 64 SJ?

16 minutes ago, Hype said:

You love those Gold truss rod covers..anything engraved on them?

Hahe, he, , ,  no, I mean yes, I like them a lot, but nothing engraved, , , apart from on another, , , in silver though. Ought to find a picture of that one. . 

1 hour ago, Hype said:

J-180 is nice..you have any pics of that 64 SJ?

Indeed. I made the truss rod cover out of a piece of brass. I think it was a kick plate off an old store door. I had my initials engraved in it.  Bought it in 1984 for $350.

rgQTPU3.jpg

GXR0dG1.jpg

Q6Ir6yu.jpg

xrwGqoV.jpg

8P5RtPT.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

Indeed. I made the truss rod cover out of a piece of brass. I think it was a kick plate off an old store door. I had my initials engraved in it.  Bought it in 1984 for $350.

rgQTPU3.jpg

GXR0dG1.jpg

Q6Ir6yu.jpg

Only one thing beats a Gibson in its open case : The same Gibson in your hands. 

350 ! - miraculous. . .

Nice to see it again 

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

rgQTPU3.jpg

GXR0dG1.jpg

Q6Ir6yu.jpg

xrwGqoV.jpg

8P5RtPT.jpg

So you are a strap pin on the heel kind of guy too eh? I too prefer the strap pin on the heel as well on an acoustic.

That was already in place when I got it. I so seldom use a strap…. I can’t remember the last time I drilled for one. Not sure where I’d put it if I had to choose. I always used to put it more on the treble side of the heel but nowadays it would be a “big deal” and I would overthink it.  

• Thanks 1