Gibson Brands Forums

If Only A Miracle

Lars68

Below is a song I wrote. True to form, it's a bit of a downer, but that is just what naturally comes out.  It might not mean much, but I think it is one of the better songs I've written. It's a song about loneliness and longing for a change. 

Lars

IF ONLY A MIRACLE

From an open window facing the park
I hear the laughter of children and the song of a lark

I'm sitting here waiting for you
In daydreams I'm forever blue

If only a miracle would light my way
Through the deep void where the shadows play
Into your arms of love and a brighter day

I miss you without knowing your face
For a nameless stranger I'm searching a maze

Of all my days god-given
Yet another in lonely submission

This fortress of solitude is without defender
The gates are wide open and I want to surrender
To a power so warm and tender

So why not risk a bridge too far?
When on the far bank is where you are

'Cause insecurity and fears 
Are a boy's excuse and an old man's tears

Edited by Lars68
  • Like 2

Thanks for listening, guys! I did warn you about the subject matter 😜

As for the question regarding who the ”you” is that protagonist is longing for, a specific person or someone yet unknown, I intentionally want to keep it sort of vague and open. However, these lines would hint at the latter. 

I miss you without knowing your face
For a nameless stranger I'm searching a maze

Lars

50 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Same here……To me it’s someone longing for a love they haven’t had.   They’re not missing someone who has left.  They’re missing someone who has never been there.

Thanks Murph and MP, the above was exaxtly my intention with the lyrics, but I wanted to leave the door open for other interpretations too. The song is autobiographical, except the ”window facing the park” was actually a door 😂 It is about a rough time in my life, more than twenty years ago, and the lines all have very specific meaning to me, but I don't want to go into details. A song can be specific, but it won't work unless it can at the same time be universal. 

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Well, , , first HEPS for the courage to post these creations. Second - it surprises me you still sing seriously out of tune. Through a set of conventional lenses it is a disaster. 

On the other hand, what do I know. During the recent International Women's Day I saw a band on the telly where the female lead-singer was significantly out of pitch. Some weeks before I ran into a prime time TV-show-clip with the former Six Pestols guy delivering a song for his girlfriend - approximately off 20 percent of the 3 minutes it took.

In other words, this is a new era I don't fully understand. Blame it on no one, it's just how it is. .

You have found a niche with a good and original expression and that counts. 👍 How it's received out on the other side of your cans is up to the individual listener.                                                                                                                  Some will cringe - others will get it - others again will say "AHA, , , that's something else. ."

As you know, I for my part like the artistic aura of your stuff. Perhaps most of all the whole atmosphere and (sur)reality around it. . 

Keep folking Herr Lars

• Thanks 1

Em7, I appreciate the feedback as always! To be honest, I'm surprised to hear my singing on this song was such a disaster. However, I have more faith in your ears than mine, so I will just have to accept it, no matter how discouraging it is. Luckily I have no plans to quit my day job any time soon. I'm going to keep writing and recording my songs for anyone who cares to listen, and hope that just maybe one day there are enough strengths to outweigh the shortcomings, which I suspect I will always have to live with. 

Lars

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Em7, I appreciate the feedback as always! To be honest, I'm surprised to hear my singing on this song was such a disaster.

Hi L - the thing is that you have chosen a difficult way to compose the tunes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     It's one where you bend your way through the song'n'melody instead of arranging it note by note like square bricks.                                                                                                                                                                                      This style makes it extremely hard the measure where you are pitch-wise as the tune constantly dives or rises around another corner and curve. 

It may be too complicated to explain and I'm not out to cast shadows on your weekend, but now cat is out of the bag and I stand by these comments.                                                                                                                Would like to underline that this expression creates an atmosphere, which often serves the songs'n'themes well.                                                                                                                                                                                     I'm still certain you will improve - but your songwriting will too, , , so there is a danger the gab will be parallel-moved forward for some time.  . 

Keep us posted - these and several other's ears will follow & listen

Thanks eveyone for commenting and listening, and Em7, I think I get what your are saying.

If you don't mind, I'd like to derail my own thread by asking opinions of the vocals in the song below. I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, honestly I'm not. It would be very interesting to hear your thoughts. The artists is the most popular Swedish artist in the past 15 years, and I think he writes wonderful lyrics and melodies, but the singing, I don't know. However, there is something special about his expression that goes beyond conventional logic of ”good” vocals. If his voice was by normal standards, I'm not sure the music would be as moving. Strange, but that's how I hear it. Thoughts?

By the way, the title of the track translates to ”By the Fence of the Prosthetics Factory.” Brilliant, huh? 😂

Edited by Lars68

The guy’s voice sounds ok to me, but I don’t understand Swedish so I’m not sure how much (if anything) is lost. The thing I wonder is why he spent a full minute on the intro….

Talking about — or criticizing — a singer’s vocal “quality” is pretty much pointless. You sing with the voice you have. You either get the point of the song across or you don’t. Tom Waits has a voice like wet-or-dry sandpaper soaked in bourbon, but nobody complains because he tells great stories. Hell, Johnny Cash spoke off-key, but nobody could imagine his songs sounding any “better.” His songs anre instantly recognizable. In fact, my first cognizant memory of music is Cash’s voice coming over the car radio.

Yes, there are ways to improve what you have. If you’re concerned about the vocals, take a lesson or two from a vocal coach. It’s a question of putting the talents you have to their best use and you could probably pick up some important tips in just a couple of sessions.

55 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

If you don't mind, I'd like to derail my own thread by asking opinions of the vocals in the song below.

Wow -  enjoyed that song, , , and the young man not only sounds good, he's in tune. 

But this isn't uncomplicated. Paul Simon fx is known to hold pitch pretty well, isn't he. But even a master like him has (relative) issues. I think he revealed that he naturally sings in the lower end of the note when really nerding into it. That means he hits it well, but as there of course still is a way up and a way down out of that particular note, he tends to lay low.                                                                The thing that up'n'down happens all the time when goin' through a song. Also in your case.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     You are like Simon and the Swedish youngster, whoever, constantly on you way somewhere else and it's f..... difficult. 

My advice is ot sing along - a lot ! Pick the song above, Johansson's Pippi Longstocking, tunes far beyond your level and everything else.                                                                                                                                    Sing along and see if your ears can measure the differences (right'n'wrongs) here and there. Maybe find a coach who could mark when you derail. Just for a session or 2.

12 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Talking about — or criticizing — a singer’s vocal “quality” is pretty much pointless. You sing with the voice you have. You either get the point of the song across or you don’t. Tom Waits has a voice like wet-or-dry sandpaper soaked in bourbon, , , ,

Well, well, , , , it's like biking. You have to learn to balance before we can talk driving.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Then the next level is behaviour, respect for rules, , , style too, though that is private thus sacred.

T. Waits is a top-tuned musical hyper talent who has so much raw cargo offer that he can do (almost) anything with it.                                                                                                                                                                                                            Like a master-painter choosing to work up beautifully grim aesthetics. He id as far from our good and appreciated L as possible. 

The Swedish intro = Could it be that the artists behind it like music and aren't folk purists. . 

26 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Yes, you have to be a folk purist and hate music to believe an intro that takes up a full minute of a 3:28 song is maybe padding a bit….

I hear your irony and it's welcome. Yet the theory sounds rather plausible, doesn't it. We must assume the artist liked this entry. 

Lars-I am going to go out in a limb here.  I do not think you are out of vocal pitch.  What I think is actually happening is you composed a very intricate melody but are trying to fit the intricate melody into basic  guitar chord shapes rather than an intricate music score of notes and orchestration on your guitar.  There are some really cool notes that musically you are singing, but trying to fit them into one size fits all chord shapes.  This is a common problem for intuitively melodic composers who are simply not yet able to match the melody in their guitar playing journey yet.  Keep at advancing your guitar playing to accompany those intricate/complex melodies you can compose.  It’s a life’s work.  An alternate is of course to simplify a melody in the meantime.  But, still meanwhile keep also working on accompanying the real melody  you hear in your head on to your guitar.  Do not get discouraged.  You compose some great stuff, even if your accompaniment doesn’t yet match the melody.  

Just my music perspective.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

QM, thanks for a very interesting perspective. I have been working on the song vocals the last couple of days. In doing so, I have updated the Soundcloud track when I have something that might be improved. So hopefully you heard an improved version of the original track. Very likely the first track had out of tune vocals. I just updated this morning with a third version, before seeing your reply. I see it as good ear training doing new vocal takes and comparing them to older ones.

Are you saying that if I played my vocal track solo with no music, the vocals might be in tune with themselves, but when the chords are added on top, it sounds off? I have no idea if my melodies are intricate or somehow weird. It’s just what I hear in my head 🤪

Lars

13 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Are you saying that if I played my vocal track solo with no music, the vocals might be in tune with themselves, but when the chords are added on top, it sounds off? I have no idea if my melodies are intricate or somehow weird. It’s just what I hear in my head 🤪

Lars

Yes, it’s possible.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Lars, all of these comments in this thread  are well-intended.   I believe you know that……. The way I look at this is that you are telling us a story.  A “slice of life” from perhaps your own life, but which is also a story many of us have lived to one degree or another.  For me, the main thing is that you make a human connection with others.    Cash and Dylan.  Not great voices (and often being a little off-key) compared to the vast majority of pros, BUT, they certainly connected with hundreds of millions..  Their success was/is greatly do to the humanity that comes through in the music. ……Very few are great singers like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, K.D. Lang, and so many others.  I’ve always heard that Sinatra deliberately sang off-key a little bit, just to add interest to the song.  Anyways, as every one of us is saying, keep playing and writing.  you have found your niche.   ……I still think you need to get out to a coffeehouse and play your gentle music….Keep it going, buddy! 

MP, thank you for those very encouraging words. I have been coming to this forum with my music for around five years or so now. In the beginning there were some mean and bad spirited comments from a few members not posting here anymore, but apart from that everything has always been friendly and supportive. I have learned a lot! For example, had Em7 not posted his comments about my vocals being out of pitch, I probably would have gone on happily thinking my vocals were adequate. Now instead I was motivated to fix the issues and have re-recorded about 75% of the vocals compared to the original track. So anyone listening to my track above will now hear a much better, although far from perfect, version of the song. That's why this forum is great! Thanks everyone.

Lars