Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Kirk Douglas SG

cody78

52 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

What is the extra knob below the bridge for? 

Maybe somehow it's supposed to represent the Kirk Douglas "cleft".  [wink]

3964.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Whitefang

First of all, you’re such a talented guitarist Cody. Good to hear from you

I kindof overlooked both releases of this guitar, but wow it is very tastefully spec’d out and those pickups sound amazing. This really looks like one of the most interesting Gibson models in recent history and it’s not crazy expensive 

21 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What is the extra knob below the bridge for? Great looking Guitars.. Good Shredding!

Thanks! On the newer models they have an extra control, I think it's a blend volume...though would have to check. The original 2013 run which mine is from  doesn't have it, but has a 'togpot' on the switch to blend the pickups. I'd like to test out one of the new ones and compare to mine.

18 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

First of all, you’re such a talented guitarist Cody. Good to hear from you

I kindof overlooked both releases of this guitar, but wow it is very tastefully spec’d out and those pickups sound amazing. This really looks like one of the most interesting Gibson models in recent history and it’s not crazy expensive 

Thanks Dub-T, hope you are well.

The 2013 run only cost around £1,149 when I got it, which is very very reasonable for a SG based on a late 60's Custom and with so many features and the new ones were pretty well priced too. You can get an amazing array of sounds from it, suitable for everything from country to jazz to metal etc. 

Geez...  I remember when "signature" guitars were named for internationally known, well established "star" players who were practically household names.  But a member of the band playing for a late night  talk show host?  Well, that means the KEVIN EUBANKS  signature Gibson is long overdue  [wink]

Whitefang

9 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Geez...  I remember when "signature" guitars were named for internationally known, well established "star" players who were practically household names.  But a member of the band playing for a late night  talk show host?  Well, that means the KEVIN EUBANKS  signature Gibson is long overdue  [wink]

Whitefang

The Roots are a pretty well known band and have had quite a few albums in the US top 10. It's hip hop stuff and I can't say I'm a big fan, but I bought the guitar mainly on it's own merit without really being bothered about the 'signature'. A late 60's type SG Custom was always high on my list of guitars to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Name one contemporary musician who you fulfills your criteria 

I live close to where Coachella Fest is held.. My 10 year old Grand daughter was naming the Acts that will be at Coachella in a couple weeks.. I knew one one! Blondie.. I asked if she liked her/them? She said, they’re really old..

I thought… that kind of said it all….

Edited by Larsongs
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  But then maybe because to me, the present hasn't musically much to offer.  [wink]

Whitefang

Do you think anyone from 13 to 25 care? Or the Music Industry? As far as music is concerned, if you’re over 30 you’re time has passed…

Most of the music I like isn’t even from this Century! 

• Like 1

Kevin Eubanks plays/played custom-built Abe Rivera guitars and also has a signature acoustic.

Will Lee has a Sadowsky signature bass. 

But they are not contemporary, both having been around for at least 40+ years (50+ for Will Lee).

If I look at the Gibson Artist collection on this site, I know most of the names...they come, they go...[wink]

21 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Do you think anyone from 13 to 25 care? Or the Music Industry? As far as music is concerned, if you’re over 30 you’re time has passed…

Most of the music I like isn’t even from this Century! 

Frankly, I really couldn't care less if anyone from 13 to 25 years old cares anyway.  Most of them are too busy nosediving into their phones to really care much about themselves anyway.  And likely because there probably isn't an "app" for that.

Whitefang the curmudgeon   [cool]

21 hours ago, jdgm said:

Kevin Eubanks plays/played custom-built Abe Rivera guitars and also has a signature acoustic.

Will Lee has a Sadowsky signature bass. 

But they are not contemporary, both having been around for at least 40+ years (50+ for Will Lee).

If I look at the Gibson Artist collection on this site, I know most of the names...they come, they go...[wink]

Abe Rivera guitars aren't really easy to find in most shops and the discussion was focused mainly on Gibson and other major corporate guitar makers.  A group of which Martin also belongs and was the company that built Kevin's  acoustic.  Both his electric and acoustic were custom built with extra wide necks to accommodate  his large hand. 

And I really wasn't discussing contemporary artists, but comparing known backgrounds of guitarists who had a "signature" guitar designed and named for them and another who well deserved one and was passed over.

Whitefang