Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 or LG-2 To Accompany Deeper Vocals?

jellyrohl

I’ve been jonesing and saving for a nicer acoustic to accompany my singing, and the J-45 and LG-2 are at the top of my list. My voice is on the deeper side, similar to Sturgill Simpson,   Garth Brooks, etc (funny enough, I’m not a big country fan, more singer songwriter/ folk). 

I have a cheap auditorium acoustic right now, and I usually have to strum lightly or it overpowers my voice. I usually use light to medium strumming, or fingerpicking patterns when singing. I love the fullness and overall tone of the J-45 in videos, but I’m afraid I’d have to play so lightly, a lot of those tones would be lost. Plus, being a larger guitar, fingerpicking concerns me some on it.  I could see the bassiness clashing with my natural singing voice, but I could also see the bassiness of the J-45 driving my voice too.

The LG-2 also sounds great in videos, and would be easier to fingerpick, but it also lacks the driving bass that the J-45 has from what I hear in demos, which could be good or bad, which is why I’m making this post. And it would be quieter due to the size, so I could strum more normally I’d assume. But, like mentioned above, it doesn’t sound as full in the demos I’ve heard. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble finding  modern singers who play this guitar. 

I might have the option to try both in a few months while on vacation in Seattle, but there’s no guarantee of that. Otherwise, I won’t be able to try either of them anytime soon, and I don’t want to order both and send one back.

So, based on the info provided, what would folks recommend for a deeper voiced singer, in the range of Sturgill Simpson or Garth Brooks, for light to medium strumming and a little fingerpicking pattern?

Edited by jellyrohl

In my opinion the J-45 will be the more versatile instrument.  It can be softly fingerpicked or give a growl if you need it.  Strumming will be be either nice and easy or over the top if you need it.  A LG2 will be overpowered if you need it to put out energy although for quiet singer singer writer sensitivity it will be fine.  But, so will the J-45. For chickenpicking, go with the J-45.   I incorporate Waylon influence into my country stuff, folk stuff, and even my jazz stuff (go figure, but I do))…my J-45 can do it all.  My concert and 00 sized guitars can do it, too…but, if they are plugged in.  I suggest the J-45 for starters and then maybe later in your journey adding a LG2.  The J-45 will give you a much larger dynamic range to choose from than a LG2.

Just my opinion.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Another vote for the J45.

For modern examples of singers who use the LG2, check out Nathaniel Rateliff (around the 5:15 mark) and Chris Stapleton

and Chris Stapleton

Edited by G Man

I vote for the J-45, all day long.  And don't get me wrong, I LOVE LG-2s.  But the J-45 just does more.

When I first started playing solo acoustic gigs in '89 I had a 1960 LG-2, which I adored - but I knew its limitations.  It projected well, and it had a bluesy snappiness to it that I liked, though.

When I got my first J-45 (a pieced-back-together 1948-49 specimen that now lives with my brother), the FIRST time I recorded with it, the low end floored me.  It wasn't overpowering or loud, it just had this nice presence to it.  I really liked how it launched with authority, and then got out of the way, so to speak.

I've been playing the same J-45 for 16 years now.  Earlier this year I sold off some stuff, and for the first time in more than 40 years I own ONE guitar.  This is it.  

Do NOT worry about fingerpicking.  The first recordings of Mississippi John Hurt when he was rediscovered were done using a J-45.  British folk-baroque guitarists John Renbourn and Davy Graham played its natural-finished sibling J-50s for most of their most important recordings.  I first realized I wanted a Gibson J-body at a party where the guy who would become my blues mentor showed up with his '62 J-50.

I think the LG-2 has more projection and penetration, or at least it feels like it does.  There seems to be a little more note separation.  I had a bad week or so where I was considering acquiring an LG-2 because I missed that clarity.  Then I remembered where I used to put my right hand when I played my flashier fingerstyle stuff, moved back about 1-in closer to the bridge - and there was that sound, but with more low mid-range, MORE throb, more warmth.  After that, I kinda lost interest in acquiring the smaller guitar, at least for solo stuff.

This first video involved a microphone a couple of feet away from the guitar - 

While this video used a small condenser closer to the soundboard - 

• Like 1

Whatever Guitar you use your Strumming & Picking technique should adjust to your Vocal.. Lighter touch while Singing, Louder when not singing & possibly even louder for Lead Solo’s. The technique types & styles are endless.. But, in any case the Guitar is Accompaniment for your Vocal & Embellishes the Instrumental parts of your song…

Either Guitar would be excellent. Though, J-45’s are more popular for a reason… 

I don't know the answer, would have to experience both. For more than five minutes. Best way would be to buy each so you could play awhile to figure this out. I have never played an LG2, would like to. Have three J45s! Love all three. Have a baritone voice. I have other guitars but tend to like Gibson more these days.

Edited by livemusic