Gibson Brands Forums

Force Yourself...

Murph

If you're like me, summer is coming and you've got projects galore, things on hold, things waiting for other things, and other things you haven't even thought of yet.

I have to maintain of lot of ground and prefer to do it myself rather than have other people trapsing around my stuff.

And, I'm a builder/tinkerer from way back and love it when I'm feeling right. 

I find myself going days in the summertime without touching a guitar, and then I'll feel guilty and try to "force it" and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. 

I'm blessed to have a weekly jam with some old timers doing "old time" music and that helps.

I haven't been able to spend as much time with my new round neck as I'd like. I grabbed it yesterday for the first time in weeks and realized I can still do more than I thought I could, it comes back quickly.

Anyhoo, don't be slacking just because you get busy this summer...

This past winter here was not all that bad so I got more done that I usually would have.  And as this is the first winter in the past six or so where my arthritis has not acted up to the point of sidelining me, I also did more playing.  But I have no routines or schedules when it comes to picking up a guitar.  That would make it too much like work and I play solely for enjoyment.  

I work on the dust method. If I see my Bird is getting dusty on her stand I have waited too long between practice sessions. So I grab a micro cloth, shine it up and devote at least a couple hours practice/new songs. She is always on her stand in my bar. Calling me. Mocking me. Begging me. "Play me already!" Plus it "forces me" to make myself a stiff drink and forget the rest of the fced up world for a few. Think I'll head over there right now and see if she needs a dusting off.

cheers

• Haha 1

My life doesn’t really change according to what Season it is.. The Winters are generally beautiful in Palm Springs, Ca. It’s in the 70’s - 80’s today.. We did get a lot of much needed rain this year.. Not a bad thing.. And we still have beautiful Snow Capped Mtn’s… 

The upcoming Summer will be hot! We generally go to the Beach a week at a time during Summer to cool off. Get to see family & play music with some friends I don’t get to see that often.. It’s pretty great!

When I’m home, I do spend a lot of time in my Pool during the day & Barbecue most nights…

So, it’s pretty much ideal year round.. 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:09 AM, fortyearspickn said:

But, I realized a week or so ago that I've been a slacker for months and need to stop noodling and start actually PLAYING. 

I go through phases.

A good jam helps. You don't realize how "lazy" you get until a "responsibility" hits and everybody is looking at you to play "that thing".

• Like 2

Since retirement, I play most every day.....early in the mornings before the wife gets up.

I've found I need to be working on new songs, as opposed to playing stuff I already know.... but that's just me.

Hands are getting worse and worse every week.... I can feel the pain and stiffness spreading.

A friend just went to Mexico and bought me 5 tubes of Voltaren (2.32% as opposed to the 1% you can buy in the US)....so I'm set for awhile.

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Since retirement, I play most every day.....early in the mornings before the wife gets up.

I've found I need to be working on new songs, as opposed to playing stuff I already know.... but that's just me.

Hands are getting worse and worse every week.... I can feel the pain and stiffness spreading.

A friend just went to Mexico and bought me 5 tubes of Voltaren (2.32% as opposed to the 1% you can buy in the US)....so I'm set for awhile.

That’s good stuff! I use it for pain & it really works.. 

On 4/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, northcntryblues said:

Me too.   Then I play again most evenings.    Constantly working on new things.   

Kool ^ that's the spirit

I play for fun and as a way to express my creativity. Long ago I learned that I can't "force myself" to be creative or to have fun. So, I play when I feel like it and I do other things when I don't. Now, I do understand the idea that "practice makes perfect" and the physical act of playing keeps you in shape. But there are only so many hours in the day and there are lots of other ways to have fun and be creative. I've also found that when I come back to playing the guitar after a few months hiatus, I'm more creative and discover new things. And I don't think I lose much - other than calluses that need to be built up again.

Have spent the last 6 months or so immersed in writing computer code and other creative outlets - I find it hard to "shift gears" and play guitar when my mind is in that mode. So, I took a break. My fingers are also getting stiffer and I wanted to give them a rest. It was beautiful yesterday and I took the guitar out back in the woods and played for awhile. Slow getting started, but after I got up to speed, it felt great. For me, summer is a great time to play guitar and I look forward to working my way back.

Regarding stuff like Voltaren, I looked at the warnings on the package awhile ago and decided it was something I didn't want to mess with. My problems aren't that bad (yet) and I will just deal with them naturally. But it's good to know that it's helping you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I try to have a few new original ideas in my head, but I have to play old stuff or my brain will delete it.

I can't believe all of the things my brain has deleted.......

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I try to have a few new original ideas in my head, but I have to play old stuff or my brain will delete it.

I can't believe all of the things my brain has deleted.......

My brain deletes stuff now before I even finish!

I have an EXCELLENT memory....it's just real short!

• Haha 1