Gibson Brands Forums

This is a very good Hummingbird / Dove comparison

E-minor7

He may not play the traditional folky stuff, but it isn't hard to imagine that after hearing these 2 back-to-back.

It really shows the different natures, , , and the similarities of the clazzik squares.  

Enjoy ~

Are you watching EA Prague !?

Oh man, that sounded good. I hear the Hummingbird as sweeter/warmer, while the Dove is slightly edgier and more cutting. I love both sounds but would take the Bird based on looks alone. I can imagine the Dove as preferred in a busy mix.

Lars

Very nicely done. It just makes a Hummingbird in maple seem like it would  mix the best of the two guitars- the tighter sound of the short scale, the crisp response of the maple. The maple has a compression to its sound- but it makes me wonder if that's why the resonance heard with the Hummingbird @ t = :41 is not there with the Dove @ :58. Or in the picking on One Last Breath, HB, t = 2:35 vs Dove t =2:51. 

Sensitive mic. . . picked up background people noise elsewhere in the shop, but gave a good sample of the HB and the Dove. Or, maybe this Hummingbird, and this Dove.

Edited by 62burst

Two sweet guitars.  The ideal situation is if you own both (hey, I do!)……All joking aside, my Dove is definitely louder than my Hummingbird.  But, both are ideal for what I play.   It all boils down to what we each like.  I’d hate to have to pick one over the other.

22 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Two sweet guitars.  The ideal situation is if you own both (hey, I do!)……All joking aside, my Dove is definitely louder than my Hummingbird.  But, both are ideal for what I play.   It all boils down to what we each like.  I’d hate to have to pick one over the other.

I've kinda settled into a groove as to which guitar I play and when...... I don't have a mahogany 'Bird except the 12-String....but I have 2 maple Doves.   I have the J-50 which is mahogany and is a square-shouldered dread....so close!

Surprised there wasn't a little more difference in how the two sounded.  The Dove sounded more muted and compressed to me which is opposite of what I thought they'd be.  I don't own a Dove (no longer playing longer scale guitars) but I do own two Hummingbirds - one mahogany and one maple.  My maple bird is a little brighter and crisper sounding than the hog yet in the video comparison to me it sounded the opposite.  As mentioned it is the difference between these two guitars and not necessarily all.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, 62burst said:

Very nicely done. It just makes a Hummingbird in maple seem like it would  mix the best of the two guitars- the tighter sound of the short scale, the crisp response of the maple. The maple has a compression to its sound- but it makes me wonder if that's why the resonance heard with the Hummingbird @ t = :41 is not there with the Dove @ :58. Or in the picking on One Last Breath, HB, t = 2:35 vs Dove t =2:51. 

Sensitive mic. . . picked up background people noise elsewhere in the shop, but gave a good sample of the HB and the Dove. Or, maybe this Hummingbird, and this Dove.

Very well spotted - and it confuses me a bit, , , because I would have mentioned the bass on 2:02 vs 2:20 as example s of the same, just the other way around. 

Believe me when I say there is a teasing difference between sound tests and playing the guits live. I know most of you already know.                                                                                                                                      But I have spent the last year recording almost all my guitars side by side and have them placed in an 'archive' in my home-studio-set-up. Tuned half down, capoed here there what have U. .                                  Nothing wrong with the recordings as tests, but the differences are just so otherly compared to what I sense acoustically. 

Point is that I'm almost certain these 2 squares are further from each other in reality than in this splendid demo.                                                                                                                                                                                                              We have talked about deeper projection or a 'roomier' deliverance from the D before. Though it's not über-obvious here, I'm close to 100 that it is the case.      Ergo - listen to the nature of projection - rather than the colour of sound here. But yes - similarities/variations between the 2 fliers remain an intriguing mystery.                                                                                                                   A riddle I personally over approx 6 years managed to solve. 

Edited by E-minor7

On 4/16/2023 at 2:50 AM, E-minor7 said:

He may not play the traditional folky stuff, but it isn't hard to imagine that after hearing these 2 back-to-back.

It really shows the different natures, , , and the similarities of the clazzik squares.  

Enjoy ~

Are you watching EA Prague !?

Yes I am !

I do hear quite a significant difference even they are obvious cousins. When played in person the difference is way more pronounced.

As Ive said it before, prefer the look of the Bird, but love the more diirect, focuseed tone of the Dove.

Both look great side by side !

• Like 1

B

9 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Yes I am !

I do hear quite a significant difference even they are obvious cousins. When played in person the difference is way more pronounced.

As Ive said it before, prefer the look of the Bird, but love the more diirect, focuseed tone of the Dove.

Both look great side by side !

Blezz U down there ^ Keep flying

20 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I would have mentioned the bass on 2:02 vs 2:20 as example s of the the same, just the other way around. 

A tough section in the demo to close listen to- the palm muting adds yet another variable. But glad of your reminder- some guitars might record better, but sound totally different in person.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, 62burst said:

It just makes a Hummingbird in maple seem like it would  mix the best of the two guitars- the tighter sound of the short scale, the crisp response of the maple.

Burst - think I've found the perfectos match for you. .