Gibson Brands Forums

Help: chambering info

Belva

Today I tried a Gibson Les paul standard.

The thing was a charm to play. Weight so nice, it wasa chambered one.

I couldn't really find out how much it weighted but heck it was another world.

But: I'd like to have a gibson custom.

So, i need data, and here are my questions!:

1- How much does a chambered standard weight averagely?

2- Do all the gibson les paul custom come chambered?

How much do they weight averagely?

3- Is the les paul supreme more light than a regular chambered custom? Does it have the same kind of chambering?

4- What about the gibson classic custom? Does it weight less than a normal custom?Is it chambered?

Do let me know guys.

You know a lot of stuff and I need your help! thx!

Wood is wood and even if the guitar is chambered, the weight will still fluctuate. Maybe around 8 lbs is the norm.

Chambered Customs are rare. Try a search for Cloud 9 guitars. There may also be one on guitarcenter.com.

Most Customs are either solid or weight-relieved.

Supremes have a different style of chambering. Again, weight varies.

The thing was a charm to play. Weight so nice' date=' it wasa chambered one.

3- Is the les paul supreme more light than a regular chambered custom? Does it have the same kind of chambering?

Do let me know guys.

You know a lot of stuff and I need your help! thx! [/quote']

You got enough money to waste on a supreme? i envy you.

Do let me know guys.

Just making sure the original post doesn't get missed

You got enough money to waste on a supreme? i envy you.

That was rude.

I can buy anything I want.

I also kicked a lot of peoples A$$'s with a "The SG" back in the late 90's. Because I liked it.

A nice guitar makes you play better.

Get what you want, my friend. I'd like a Custom myself, just for the hell of it.

The chambering is no big deal. I actually have played my daughters Studio enough now that I'm convinced it gives a different flavor, that is sometimes good.

Others might not like it. Who gives a damn?

Murph.

A nice guitar makes you play better.
Not true, my friend...not true at all! I've seen A LOT of people, who were moderately good, play some really great guitars, and they still played moderately good. My Grandpa always said, "You know when your really good, when you can make a "broomstick", sound like an Angel's harp", in other words, it doesn't matter what kind of guitar you play (or how expensive), if you sound like crap playing a cheap guitar, your going to sound like crap, if not crappier, playing an expencive one. And, remember, it's not what guitar you play, but how you play it.

Nice to know... BUT WHO THE HECK CARES?

We aren't talking about my budget or my playing.

My skills are above average as I play jazz on a daily basis.

I've asked very simple things divided in different points.

If you have nothing to say about the subject then leave.

If you have , well, I need your info.

Thanks.

The chambering is no big deal. I actually have played my daughters Studio enough now that I'm convinced it gives a different flavor' date=' that is sometimes good.

Others might not like it. Who gives a damn?

Murph.[/quote']

It's funny. When I bought my '07 LP I was blissfully unaware that it (or any LP for that matter) was chambered. I hadn't heard of chambering. I just knew that I found a LP that played, sounded and looked fantastic so I bought it.

Back in the mid '80s I had a LP Standard and from the first chord the '07 sounded better than what I remembered my old one sounding like (although back then I was blissfully unaware that they were 'weight-relieved'.)

Since then I have read so much about chambered vs. weight-relieved vs. solid that it's impossible for me to sort fact from myth. :)

As an experiment I recently borrowed an early '70's LP Custom Black Beauty to A/B against my '07.

As expected the Black Beauty is heavier. It had been re-fretted at some point so it no longer has the 'fretless wonder' feel.

I played each guitar extensively with my Pod 2.0 on various settings and my consensus is that even though they felt a little different they sounded almost identical. They sounded like LPs.

I remember when I was buying my Gretsch I played 3 different same-year same-model 6118's that the store had and I couldn't even get them to all sound exactly the same. This one had a bit more bite and growl, that one was a little mellower, etc. That's why we try out guitars before we buy them because each sounds and feels a little different.

In the end I can honestly say that even though I liked the Black Beauty a lot I prefer the playability and feel of my '07 Standard.

I'd be curious to try my chambered against some weight-relieved models but my guess is that won't make a practical difference either.

Not true' date=' my friend...not true at all! I've seen A LOT of people, who were moderately good, play some really great guitars, and they still played moderately good. My Grandpa always said, "You know when your really good, when you can make a "broomstick", sound like an Angel's harp", in other words, it doesn't matter what kind of guitar you play (or how expensive), if you sound like crap playing a cheap guitar, your going to sound like crap, if not crappier, playing an expencive one. And, remember, it's not what guitar you play, but how you play it.[/quote']

While I respect your opinion (and share some of it) I do think a great guitar can make you want to play more, and will surely make you feel better playing it.

Back on topic:

I couldn't really find out how much it weighted but heck it was another world.[/quote']

Good for you man! Standards are great guitars!

By custom do you mean a gibson custom shop guitar or a gibson les paul custom? ( and what finish?)

So' date=' i need data, and here are my questions!:

4- What about the gibson classic custom? Does it weight less than a normal custom?Is it chambered?

Do let me know guys.

1.- depends on the wood, the year (I think you are interested in new guitars... so it will be chambered, but still they can vary a lot).

2.- Gibson les paul customs are not chambered, and they are a little heavier than the standard, some guys like that some guys dont, so your best bet is to play some and decide if you like it better.

3.- It should be lighter than a custom but it will be heavier than a standard: extra maple cap (on the back)m whic leads to some stuff not everyone like (I don't), for ecample the inhability to manipulate the electronic components as it lacks a backplate, if you want to do that you have to take them out from the jackplate (a bit biger than the normal jackplate) and then assemble the whole thing and take it in from the same jackplate hole (pain in the *** IMO), but then again, I wouldn't pay that amount of money for a guitar that I plan on moding :).

4.- Sorry bro, I don't know much about that one (other than some aesthetic details).

thx thundergod!

You really sound very informed!

Wel, basically I'd like a light, "hairy" chambered les paul.

With "custom" i just mean "black and with binding" finishing of the fretless wonder I really admire. Not custo mshop production.

I'd really like an ebony fretbard put on a light resonant and hollow les paul body.

Something that doesn't go too far away from a cs 336 if you ask me about the sound!

Gibson classic custom should be a standard with ebony details and an ebony freatboard.... hoep somebody that got it shows. take care bud!

Do let me know guys.

1. 6 to 8 lbs.

2. No. 6 to 8 lbs. weight relieved. Around 10 lbs or a little more without such.

3. Yes, on light. No, on same sound chambering. Will sound a bit more like a semi-hollow.

4. I have no idea.

I know little and play terrible. But, I try hard.

who am i going to trust?

Trust your ears and hands. Buy the guitar that feels and sounds good to you. That is what matters (assuming you are going to be playing it not using it to weigh stuff down).

Thunder, you did not just :) me !!

What's with the neck pickup? HB?

It's a P-90 with an alnico V magnet. Sounds great. The bridge pickup is a normal P-90.

2. No. 6 to 8 lbs. weight relieved. Around 10 lbs or a little more without such.

10 lbs is a bit much. I'd say both weight-relieved & solid LPs average around 9 lbs.

basically there's people that tells me the supreme has the same chambering as let's say' date=' the standards' date=' and some how don't. who am i going to trust?[/quote'']

Unless I'm mistaken, Supremes have a different type of chambering than a new(er) Standard. I've seen pics and I've read it on other forums...but really, who cares? What difference does it make if a Supreme is chambered differently than a Standard? Chambered is chambered. :(

Of course I'm gonna playing it.

Man I ask soo many questions as where i live there aren't a ton of guitars I can play so I need to know before moving my *** to play em!

I think I'll settle for a gibson classic custom: chambered, ebony details, and has classic 57 and 57 plus instead of 490 ****.

One final thought. Wood, weight, year, model.

On solid bodies: My 1979, The Paul weighs 10.5 lbs. My 2006 Custom Shop R8 VOS weighs a full 12 pounds. Both weighed at all realistic hang & set angles on the computer scale at Willis Music. As to the R8, the quality of available mahogany today may not be of the same level as that of, say, 1958. Thus, heavier.

Consistency is achievable in practical terms only through comparative weight relief, per each instrument. That is not going to happen, and be it weight relieved or sound chambered the weight will still vary today on such models in the same sense that wood "quality" affects the weight of the old and new solid bodies.

Supreme model sound chamber extent, is not the exact same set up as other Les Paul models. More wood is removed and the instrument is lighter than other Pauls, sounding more semi-hollow body than other chambered Pauls.

Gibson is sure building up a good supply of shavings & dust for the newest idea in guitar construction, The Particle Deluxe Custom Shop Vintage Original, or some such name[/b]! [-X

Supreme model sound chamber extent' date=' is not the exact same set up as other Les Paul models. More wood is removed and the instrument is lighter than other Pauls, sounding more semi-hollow body than other chambered Pauls.

[/quote']

Not sure where you get that idea from, do you own a Supreme?

Mine weighs 8.8lbs which is more than the average chambered Les Paul. Don't forget with the maple back the weight is added back on, plus the maple fron is thicker than the average maple cap.

Sounding more like a semi-hollow body is wrong. Have you heard these guitars?

Archived