Gibson Brands Forums

What made Jimmy Page switch to the Les Paul ?

The way I heard it, Jimmy Tele just wasn't road worthy anymore. He was broke at the time (all his money was wrapped up in Zep), Joe Walsh found out about his dilema and gave Jimmy a Honey Burst Les Pauls. Joe Walsh said in an interwiew, "I had two of 'em, and I wasn't using it. I figured he needed more than I did" or something like that.

The way I heard it' date=' Jimmy Tele just wasn't road worthy anymore. He was broke at the time (all his money was wrapped up in Zep), Joe Walsh found out about his dilema and gave Jimmy a Honey Burst Les Pauls. Joe Walsh said in an interwiew, "I had two of 'em, and I wasn't using it. I figured he needed more than I did" or something like that.[/quote']

This may explain how he got it, but why did he keep using it? The answer, once again, is TONE!

greatest song ever made "Stairway to heaven"

I'm gonna have to call you on that.

The Greatist Song Ever Made?

Is Jesus Dead? Give him a few hours. See what happens.

You don't own a basement, do you?

Do you even own a house?

You're in a trailer park in Baytown, huh?

I'm gonna have to call you on that.

The Greatist Song Ever Made?

Is Jesus Dead? Give him a few hours. See what happens.

You don't own a basement' date=' do you?

Do you even own a house?

You're in a trailer park in Baytown, huh?

[/quote']

Murph how many times do i have to tell you when i lived in Colchester England i had a basement in my House and to scare me and my brothers and sisters from entering it my mom used to tell us there was a Zombie in our Basement so when my friends would come over i used to tell them "Jesus is dead in my basement", Why not ask why i got the name instead of insulting me? Why would the choice of my screen name even bother you?

And no i do not live in Baytown i live in South West Houston and if you want to visit me any day of the week you can come on over.

P.S I also do not see the point of acting like a pompous, pugnacious prick it only makes you look like a Catholic School boy with a pixie ****.

Murph how many times do i have to tell you when i lived in Colchester England i had a basement in my House and to scare me and my brothers and sisters from entering it my mom used to tell us there was a Zombie in our Basement so when my friends would come over i used to tell them "Jesus is dead in my basement"' date=' Why not ask why i got the name instead of insulting me? Why would the choice of my screen name even bother you?

And no i do not live in Baytown i live in South West Houston and if you want to visit me any day of the week you can come on over.

P.S I also do not see the point of acting like a pompous, pugnacious prick it only makes you look like a Catholic School boy with a pixie ****.[/quote']

Nope i still think it was tone.

This may explain how he got it' date=' but why did he keep using it? The answer, once again, is TONE![/quote']

Jimmy said he could never find another guitar with the Tone his tele had, including other tele's. He used that Tele for a lot (and I mean a lot) of studio recordings. So really, he wanted to keep his Tele because of Tone. And the original question was, "What Made Jimmy Page Switch To A Les Paul?" not "Why Didn't Jimmy Page Get Rid Of His Les Paul".

The reason he switched was he needed a new Guitar and Joe Walsh turned him on to a Les Paul.

For all you Zeppelinian gearheads here's a way cool website with a comprehensive list of Jimmy's equipment through the Zeppelin years:

http://kozmicblues.webs.com/index.htm

As for why he switched, well, my two cents are because as someone posted before, the rock trio format and Zep's newer songs needed a little more of that "crunch"/"ooompf" (whatever you call it) that only a humbucked heavy as hell guitar could bring. He continued to use the Tele throughout the recordings, but as for live... nothing beats a good ole' Paula.

Murph' date=' I do not see the point of acting like a pompous, pugnacious prick it only makes you look like a Catholic School boy with a pixie ****.[/quote']

Actually, I was raised by Banditos in East Mesa.

Are we feeling testy?

Archived