Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

The sound quality is excellent, the material  is right inbetween Hot Rats and Chunga's Revenge.

Some of it is really good, some not so much.  It was obviously unfinished business that he set aside when Flo & Eddie joined the band.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

The sound quality is excellent, the material  is right inbetween Hot Rats and Chunga's Revenge.

Some of it is really good, some not so much.  It was obviously unfinished business that he set aside when Flo & Eddie joined the band.

I’ll probably listen to it on a streaming service to see if I’m down. But UMe are already probably planning the next 5 live FZ shows for a cash grab. I didn’t waste my time with Mudd Club / Munich. I shouldn’t have wasted $ on the Chicago one when Roxy was so much better. 

Just ordered this : Grateful Dead- RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C. 6/10/73 - 4 CD set.

Went to the used record store and bought 10CC - How Dare You on vinyl. 

They had a copy of Leon - Carey for $20. I left it right in the bin.

Just bought some CDs: Freddie King, Best of the Shelter Years so it's Leon Russell on piano which will be real good and Body of Work box set by Godley & Creme from post 10cc days.

Once Freddie hooked up with the rock and roll crowd he basically partied himself to death which is a shame, he was a great guitarist.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Just bought some CDs: Freddie King, Best of the Shelter Years so it's Leon Russell on piano which will be real good and Body of Work box set by Godley & Creme from post 10cc days.

Once Freddie hooked up with the rock and roll crowd he basically partied himself to death which is a shame, he was a great guitarist.

That G & C set is a ton of music for cheap. L was really good. Freeze Frame I didn’t enjoy as much. I need to listen to the ones after it. Concequences  which is not on the set is 3 albums of a ridiculous concept album about man pissing off The Earth or Nature. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

You can skip Good-Bye, Blue Sky by them, that wasn't so hot.  An album about nuclear Winter, how cheery. 

I'm going to have to look into some of the stuff they did before 10cc got together.

Ordered the new PJ Harvey, that shoud be here by this weekend.  She tries to make every album totally different than the one before it so who knows what I'll get.  It could be dulcimer and tuba recorded in a monestary.  

1 minute ago, cody78 said:

One of the last albums I bought was Modanna's 'Like A Prayer'. Oh Father is an amazing song. 

She is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but Thin Lizzy and UFO who play Rock And Roll are not. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Get ready for this one. It is at a time when music was in a weird place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW6Mn0iP8i8

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

She is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but Thin Lizzy and UFO who play Rock And Roll are not. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder?

Yes, that is a bit weird considering she has never been remotely rock or indeed rock and roll. Those bands should surely be in. Having said that I don't think R&R HOF is as important as it thinks it is.

2 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Yes, that is a bit weird considering she has never been remotely rock or indeed rock and roll. Those bands should surely be in. Having said that I don't think R&R HOF is as important as it thinks it is.

I actually saw Madonna on that tour. Level 42 opened for her. Mark King can do the slap and pop on bass like one's business. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I actually saw Madonna on that tour. Level 42 opened for her. Mark King can do the slap and pop on bass like one's business. 

Bet that was a fun gig! I've only ever dabbled in Madonna, I just own Ray of Light and now Like A Prayer, but she had a lot of great pop tunes.

2 hours ago, cody78 said:

Bet that was a fun gig! I've only ever dabbled in Madonna, I just own Ray of Light and now Like A Prayer, but she had a lot of great pop tunes.

It was more a show than a concert. Madonna has tuned onto some weirdo who is not going the way of plastic surgery and adopting children from other countries (or is that Angelina Joile, maybe both). I guess she doesn't want to stretch out her fun hole.

The ‘73 RFK Show arrived. I’m rocking it right now. Eyes Of The World is playing. Like always Donna had to have a screaming fit during Playing In The Band. She needs to just stand there and shake a tambourine, and shut up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I broke down and ordered a used DVD, Edgar Winter Live On Stage featuring Leon Russell.

It's a concert from  1988 and from what I've read it's supposed to be pretty good.  I always liked both of these guys.

Edgar was in Ringo’s All Star Band when I saw them last year.

More of the Tom Waits catalog is being re-released.

I pre-ordered Bone Machine and The Black Rider on vinyl, I have all the rest aside from the Glitter and Doom collection, I'm content to just have that on CD as his voice was REALLY bad - kind of like Bob Dylan with  pneumonia bad.

https://tomwaits.kingsroadmerch.com/?ffm=FFM_661106038fb99f882544b4d542e3884d

Edited by SteveFord