Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

Maybe consolidate all new music purchases in one thread?

I'll start.  I'm on a Leon Russell kick so bought a pristine 3 album Leon Live set and a bunch of CDs: Leon Russell, Leon Russell and the Shelter People, On A Distant Shore, Life Journey 

and two DVD/BluRays: Mad Dogs and Englishmen and The Concert For Bangladesh.

13 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

A few months ago I got an audio CD from Tears For Fears.

The Tipping Point.

It's pretty good.

🙂

tears-for-fears-tipping-point.jpg

Everybody Wants To Rule The World. I still have Songs From The Big Chair on vinyl. That was a good album and nothing like the hits off it. Those guys have great voices.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

29 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I'll start.  I'm on a Leon Russell kick so bought a pristine 3 album Leon Live set and a bunch of CDs: Leon Russell, Leon Russell and the Shelter People, On A Distant Shore, Life Journey 

and two DVD/BluRays: Mad Dogs and Englishmen and The Concert For Bangladesh.

I have  my original Bangladesh on vinyl. I love when the crowd get excited over Ravi and the rest of the musicians tuning up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

A few months ago I mentioned to my wife what I wanted for my birthday, I said anything from Jeff Beck, because he recently passed. I did not have any of his music, but I saw him live a couple years earlier. I opened my gift, a few CDs, cool, they were all Beck CDs! I already had all 3 CDs. At least she tried.

• Like 1

SteveFord,

I assume that by "new music" you also mean sheet music.

So.........I just got the  sheet music to "God bless the child", which a good bud is playing in our upcoming concert that our music teacher is hosting.

I may join him in this song on stage, in addition to the two songs that I'm playing: Clapton's unplugged version of "Nobody knows you when you're down and out", and The Kingston Trio's " Scotch and Soda".

RBSinTo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

SteveFord,

I assume that by "new music" you also mean sheet music.

So.........I just got the  sheet music to "God bless the child", which a good bud is playing in our upcoming concert that our music teacher is hosting.

I may join him in this song on stage, in addition to the two songs that I'm playing: Clapton's unplugged version of "Nobody knows you when you're down and out", and The Kingston Trio's " Scotch and Soda".

RBSinTo

Scotch And Soda is a great Trio song. It’s so cool cause it’s not like their normal sruff. It had a cool vibe to it. TJ Jail and MTA,  I like too. The Beach Boys version (well let’s be serious The Wrecking Crews version with whichever Beach Boy is singing) of Sloop John B, I like more than the Trio’s. They do a fine job of it though.

What axe you gonna use? J-45 or D-28? Guild?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Scotch And Soda is a great Trio song. It’s so cool cause it’s not like their normal sruff. It had a cool vibe to it. TJ Jail and MTA,  I like too. The Beach Boys version (well let’s be serious The Wrecking Crews version with whichever Beach Boy is singing) of Sloop John B, I like more than the Trio’s. They do a fine job of it though.

What axe you gonna use? J-45 or D-28? Guild?

Chief,

"Scotch and Soda" was their most popular, and most requested song at concerts, and it took me about 50 years to finally get a correct score that matches their final concert version.

Haven't made up my mind yet which guitar I'll use.

Last concert I played the J-45, but The Kingston Trio were Martin guys, so I'll probably use the D-28 this time.

RBSinTo

Ordered some albums:

Frank Zappa - Munich 80 (triple disc), Jethro Tull - Living With The Past (double disc), Delaney and Bonnie - Motel Shot

and some 3 Leon Russell CDs: Anything Can Happen, Face In The Crowd, Carney

That should hold me for a little bit.  A new Zappa and PJ Harvey are being released next month so I'm looking forward to them.

Edited by SteveFord

I haven't bought an album in decades.

Probably haven't bought 10 cd's in the last 10 years. My wife's new Subaru Forester Wilderness actually came stock with a cd player, so I might buy her a few this year.

I'm not much of a consumer, there are some great internet radio stations.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Ordered some albums:

Frank Zappa - Munich 80 (triple disc), Jethro Tull - Living With The Past (double disc), Delaney and Bonnie - Motel Shot

and some 3 Leon Russell CDs: Anything Can Happen, Face In The Crowd, Carney

That should hold me for a little bit.  A new Zappa and PJ Harvey are being released next month so I'm looking forward to them.

I need t get Munich. Its killer. Mudd Club was a let down. The last Tull I got was the deluxe 4 CD 2 DVD Benefit set. It was not as good an album as I remember. I have my original on vinyl.

The Concert For Bangladesh DVD showed up courtesy of a Goodwill in Georgia.

It's outside being aired out, it has that distinctive Goodwill aroma to it - unwashed socks and moldy furniture smell.

Edited by SteveFord

11 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Finally got the CD I ordered of Beethoven's 5th piano concerto("Emperor")  with Alicia De Larrocha/piano and Zubin Mehta directing the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra

81jRw4Hq5oL._SS500_.jpg

Whitefang

I just recently read a guy wanted his money back after seeing Anne Sophie Mutter (might be spelled wrong) because she did not play it exactly the same way as it is on the recording. 

Um . . . in case you didn't know its called interpretation of the work. Its was musicians do.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Good idea.

Most recent CDs:

Jeff Beck - Live + (2014)

Jeff Beck - Live at The Hollywood Bowl (2016) 2CD set

Ralph Towner - At First Light

Sonny Rollins - Live Under The Sky Japan 1983 with Metheny, DeJohnette and Alphonso Johnson

Also got a digital coaxial cable from CD player to amp, so now I'm using the amp's DAC which is much newer.   Sounds amazing.

Today I received and fitted a new tray open/close belt to my other CD player, an old Sony.  Now working fine again.  Very pleased I did that!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Last album I got was a collection of John Prine songs.  I love his stuff.

I need to get that. I have it on my list of stuff to get. It took me a while to get used to his voice.