Gibson Brands Forums

Truck shopping is not for the wishy washy

ksdaddy

I'm still riving my 1988 S-10 Blazer, which looks like it's gone through about four wars. I really haven't put anything into it for repairs for a couple years now. However lately I've repaired the leaking transmission cooling lines, replaced a bunch of rotted vacuum lines, and the most frustrating of all, trying to nail down and fix a stammer/stutter that occurs at very light throttle, maintaining a steady speed, be it 35 or 50. It's done it for a couple three years but lately has driven me insane and I want to fix it. I've replaced the MAP sensor, plugs, wires, cleaned the cap's terminals and the rotor too. I had also unplugged the EGR valve and plugged the vacuum line. At that point I had the stammer down to negligible, But yesterday I replaced the EGR valve, hooked it up and the stammer is worse. Violent actually. "Am I going to make it home" violent. If cause/effect is to be believed, I will unhook the EGR but also make a plate to go under it so it's effectively 'gone'. It may send a code for EGR but I'm used to seeing the check engine light go on and off 15 times on 10 mile trip. Most of the time it throws 44 lean exhaust.

It's rolling junk. I drive it out of spite. But maybe we're done. If I can't figure it out.....

So I've been shopping.

I drove a 2016 Ram crew cab at work for 5-1/2 years before I retired. Nice truck. I threatened to seek out a new 2023 in regular cab/8 ft box but the thought of depreciation and the huge excise tax spooks me. There are used Rams out there but not a lot on the dealer's lots. It's like people are keeping them. And anything on the lots still have COVID prices.

There seem to be many used Fords available. I asked my mechanic what I should get and he said 'either Ford or Toyota'. I bang my head and knees getting in and out of a Tacoma so that's out. I don't have Tundra money. Well, I do, but I won't spend it.

Trucks today are so fancy. They look beautiful on the lot but I picture myself a year from now with Endust and a Q tip trying to clean the dashboard. Meanwhile the Blazer would get an 'oops' spray from the pressure washer, followed by the air hose.

I have a 1990 Ford F150 that I use to plow snow. It's not been on the road since 2005. I would love to drop about 10k into that and put it on the road but I think I would be better off bringing a rust-free or rust minimal truck up from down south for about the same money. I absolutely love that truck. Any 80s F150 would suit me. Aside from it rotting away or hitting a moose, they will run forever. I would be tempted to just buy one in Augusta Georgia and have it shipped up here.

But I'll change my mind 14 times before breakfast.

The Blazer has been in my family for 33 years, it was stolen in 2014 and also survived an engine compartment fire that same year. I also drove it an undetermined number of miles with the driver's side outer tie rod disconnected. I discovered it when I made a sharp turn into a parking spot. That was not my day to die apparently.

It probably should be let go, but I like the old POS.

I can relate to your feelings. I drive a 2000 model Toyota Avalon, which is actually the 1995 US model where they shipped the tooling to Australia in 2000 and tried to pass it off as a new design [laugh] ...which it clearly wasn't, but they were big and fairly cheap. We got this one in 2007 with extremely low milage for a third of what it cost new.  This car has basically given me no trouble in the 16 years and (I'll use US figures) 180k miles I've owned it. It is comfortable, has the biggest trunk/boot and best aircon of  any car I've known or ridden in and can carry 3 adults in the back seat in total leg stretching comfort. It has a main seal leak which has been there for years and doesn't quite stop it passing inspections each year but otherwise just cheap consumable parts required. It will cost me a few hundred for a couple of (much needed) brake pads and 2 tires shortly to get it registered again this year, plus an annual service so say $1000 all up, and that's it other than tax. insurance and fuel.  My 20yo  son works in the city and bought exactly the same model a couple years ago with only 100k miles on the clock - we both pay very little in insurance as our cars would be the last ones any thief would look at.  The old 3000 V6 still runs smooth whilst not exactly fast or economical by modern standards is just fine. 

I'd really get more value out of a smallish SUV like a Rav4 but my ego is car-proof and virtually all my cars have gone to the graveyard (or dirt track racers) over the years rather than being sold - ya don't get an old pet put down when it its still getting around ok it seems with me and cars! I keep saying I'll get something nice when this becomes uneconomic but it just keeps going. When I do, it'll likely be another Toyota - and heck, I've always liked cars...but I guess the Toyotas we've owned have been so reliable that that's worth more to me than pretending I look cool [wink] and there's some perverse pleasure in watching others ride around in their 'cool' looking debts whilst driving this and knowing I could get anything if I particularly wanted...

So unless its completely uneconomic, I say make it 34 years and keep smiling!

• Like 1

I bought my 2016 Ram knowing retirement was coming and I wanted it paid off before I retired. It was.

I wanted a Crew Cab short bed so I could haul gear in the back seat (they fold up) and still put a tool box and haul 8' 3/4" treated lumber (tailgate down) one of my favorite boards.... I can safely haul 10 foot stuff, you just have to use your head.

I love the 4x4 and the 5.7 Hemi, that 8 speed will get 22 mpg on the interstate with 3 adults and the a/c on, to Louisiana, I've done it many, many times.

If I had it to do over, I would look real seriously at the Ram Box. It's brilliant.

I bought my 2004 Ranger new in Florida for one of my guys.

He used it until he retired, then I brought it out to California....and gave it to a local guy to use.

When I bought him a new truck, I took that truck and started driving it.

Turned out that I really liked it....so now it's mine.... been driving it (personally) for about 7-8 years.

Looks nice, but not too nice.... can drive it anywhere and park it anywhere.

When I got it I was still hauling gear around, but haven't done that much in the last few years.

Now, I mostly haul groceries back from the store....and I still love it.   about 225K miles, and still runs like a champ.

Wife HATES it and refuses to ride in it.

I do NOT plan to get rid of it any time soon.

Every time I  finally give in and get rid of a vehicle to buy a different one - I regret it.  Still regret ones I got rid of 30 years ago.  So - I'm not planning on ever getting rid of my 2011 Ford sedan. A Taurus SHO -  they're not making them anymore.  SUV's seem to be the configuration most people want.  And, of course,  P/U trucks.  Wife has a 2011 Subaru Tribeca - the only model they offered a 6 cylinder option in - and she refuses to look at another vehicle.    So, we're sort of in line with many of the comments here -  Better the devil you know aka Love the one your with.  

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Every time I  finally give in and get rid of a vehicle to buy a different one - I regret it.  Still regret ones I got rid of 30 years ago.  So - I'm not planning on ever getting rid of my 2011 Ford sedan. A Taurus SHO -  they're not making them anymore.  SUV's seem to be the configuration most people want.  And, of course,  P/U trucks.  Wife has a 2011 Subaru Tribeca - the only model they offered a 6 cylinder option in - and she refuses to look at another vehicle.    So, we're sort of in line with many of the comments here -  Better the devil you know aka Love the one your with.  

Not to mention that the price of a new truck today is about the same price as my first 2 houses..... combined!

I've had two 1500 Rams - the 4.7L V8 and the Hemi 5.7L.  Both sucked gas and gave me power I had no use for.  I now have the V6 Ram 1500 that I figured was a good fit - since I don't tow anything.  I use it to move around home improvement supplies of all sorts and for other various moving of large things.  Works great - and could tow a light load with no issue I bet.  I'm not moving around excavators or skids, so no real need for that 10k lb+ towing capacity.  I also get great gas mileage on it - for a full-sized pickup - looking at around 23mi/gal in hot summers.  I have 3 Chryslers - 300, Pacifica, and the Ram 1500 - all with the Pentastar V6, and the mpg is comparable for all of these.  Great engine if I don't say so myself...  Chrysler cosmetics though OTOH...  But I think GM, Ford, and anything German is an overpriced POS.  YMMV - literally. 

• Thanks 1

I may have the Blazer solved, and if so, I will drive it indefinitely. It’s not a truck but I can haul sheetrock and plywood with a little finesse. Ditto for lumber. 

It has an EGR valve, like anything newer than the late 70s. I think I traced it’s stuttering to that. As of last night, I disabled it completely, making a sheet metal plate mounted between it and the engine. No stuttering. I disabled the one on my 1990 Ford when I bought it in 2013.  It had a rough idle that would not go away. Neutered the EGR and all is fine. I may have drilled an 1/8” hole in the plate so some air flow was retained but it was cut back enough so the engine was happy. 

At least for now I don’t feel pressured to buy something. I’m actually looking the other way. My part time job nets me $1200 a month and that is going into the truck fund. The less I have to finance, the better. 

Now that I’m not on the hunt, the perfect truck will jump out at me.  Such are life’s rules of engagement and I will be prepared. Meanwhile, my Blazer extends its middle finger to the salesmen lol. 

6 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I have 3 Chryslers - 300, Pacifica, and the Ram 1500 - all with the Pentastar V6, 

Legendary engine, already.

I've heard of those Pentastar's with 400,000 miles.

My next engine, just not sure if it'll be a Rubicon or another Bighorn.

• Like 1

I've had numerous Ford & Chev Pickups.. Currently I have a 2021 Chev Silverado Crew Cab.. Silver with Black Leather.. Full Power.. Great Truck!! But, I've been thinking about getting a Suburban.. Mostly for hauling Guitar,  Amps & Luggage when I travel to play & for Leisure..