Gibson Brands Forums

" New old stock"

olie

Read somewhere that new electric guitar sales are down.  I would guess at least compared to the uptick during the "Lockdowns".  And, if half those who took up the guitar quit, they've probably gone to make USED guitar sales go up.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers had a backlog of inventory.  Some even older than 2019.  But, unlike New Model Year cars - Bozeman simply puts out different models -  "2023 Version of the 1940 J45 with a TunaMatics".  So, a "STANDARD"  J45 is like the proverbial Red Headed Stepchild.  I'd expect a 20% of sticker price MSRP for a wood instrument sitting in storage for 4 years. 

1 hour ago, olie said:

I've noticed that at our national Gibson dealer j-45's are 2019 versions.

Could this be considered "new old stock"? They can't be moving very well to be 3 years behind, can they?

If it’s from ‘19, is it at the ‘19 prices, or are they increased to the current price?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If it’s from ‘19, is it at the ‘19 prices, or are they increased to the current price?

Current pricing. Can. $3999 or, US$ approx. 2952. I think US price is $2999 in the States right now.

if your dealer is the main Canadian one , they are way overstocked with many gits 3 4 5 years in limbo, some get moved store to store some get returned and  some sit in one of the warehouses.

the "deals" are now mostly financing options as all brands have gone to the other side of the galaxy price wise, best bet is to ask for a current year model  as the old stock prices are equal to this years price.

Stuff has got to change like the housing crash. If it keeps going the way it is only Joe B is going to be able to afford guitars. But I guess a CEO making 3000x what I make a week could care less as long his paycheck comes every week. And I’m not just talking about the guitars with G’s on them, goes for the ones with M’s too, and  T’s, and F’s.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, jvi said:

if your dealer is the main Canadian one , they are way overstocked with many gits 3 4 5 years in limbo, some get moved store to store some get returned and  some sit in one of the warehouses.

the "deals" are now mostly financing options as all brands have gone to the other side of the galaxy price wise, best bet is to ask for a current year model  as the old stock prices are equal to this years price.

Yup, it's the main player. I guess they can't drop the prices because Gibson US won't allow it.

Nice spot to be stuck in!

20 minutes ago, olie said:

Yup, it's the main player. I guess they can't drop the prices because Gibson US won't allow it.

Once the guitar leaves the Nashville or Bozeman plant the guitar store paid Gibson for whatever they are receiving, and Gibson are out of the loop. The S in MSRP stands for suggested. And if a J-45 is supposed to sell for an MSRP of $2999, the store doesn’t pay Gibson $2999, and then sell it for $2999 and make $0. It doesn’t work that way. I don’t think Gibson cares what a store sells it for. It’s now the stores profit or loss depending on what the customer pays.

Gibson doesn’t get paid again once the store sells it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Once the guitar leaves the Nashville or Bozeman plant the guitar store paid Gibson for whatever they are receiving, and Gibson are out of the loop. The S in MSRP stands for suggested. And if a J-45 is supposed to sell for an MSRP of $2999, the store doesn’t pay Gibson $2999, and then sell it for $2999 and make $0. It doesn’t work that way. I don’t think Gibson cares what a store sells it for. It’s now the stores profit or loss depending on what the customer pays.

Gibson doesn’t get paid again once the store sells it. 

I thought that some manufacturers monitor Canadian sales and squelch any sales under their dictated prices. A dealer near me said that about Fender a while ago.

7 minutes ago, olie said:

I thought that some manufacturers monitor Canadian sales and squelch any sales under their dictated prices. A dealer near me said that about Fender a while ago.

Advertised sales.  They have minimum advertised prices.

rct

20 hours ago, jvi said:

Sorry Olie - didn't know the question was based on Canadian stuff.   We had businesses closed, raw materials unavailable, toilet paper shortages .... I'm sure you all escaped the madness! 

13 hours ago, olie said:

In the US that would smell like  "Price Fixing".   Our Federal Gubmint would arrest someone.  If Martin and Taylor joined in - it would be like an organized crime conspiracy.  Our Federal Gubmint would be all over the miscreants.   Like cougars on pool boys. 

My wife has bought two N0S guitars in the past seven or so years but both before the lockdown - a Martin D12-28 and an Epiphone Broadway.  She got the Epi with around a 30% discount while the Martin clocked in with around 25% taken off the price tag.  I do not, however, know how representative these discounts were as the Epi had been hanging around for some 5 years while the shop she scored the Martin at had two built the same year in stock. So, there might have been more motivation to move them than what would be normal.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sorry Olie - didn't know the question was based on Canadian stuff.   We had businesses closed, raw materials unavailable, toilet paper shortages .... I'm sure you all escaped the madness! 

In the US that would smell like  "Price Fixing".   Our Federal Gubmint would arrest someone.  If Martin and Taylor joined in - it would be like an organized crime conspiracy.  Our Federal Gubmint would be all over the miscreants.   Like cougars on pool boys. 

I need to get a job as a pool boy. The cougars know how to do it right and don't want a relationship. I'm down.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

From time to time I play hockey with Jeff Long. The next time I do, I'll ask him about this.

RBSinTo

his  dad and him have put instruments in allmost every Canadian home and school , the storey of L&M i and Traynor is very cool. Payments to them from me have been allmost continuous scince 1989.  Ive written him and his dad to thank them several times, and sometimes to complain, and they have answered. It is a store but  they are good to us.

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You ever check him into the boards? 

Chief,

No.

I'm a goalie, so I don't do any body-checking.

And besides, this isn't league play, but rather pick-up (same group of guys every game, but teams are made up differently each time), so while it is good hockey, it is non-contact.

RBSinTo