Gibson Brands Forums

pickup rings. Historic or what ?

So I fancy replacing the 'creme' PU rings on the LP DC Standard with a black pair.

Right here are the Gibson Hardware options. They offer a 'Historic' pair only in creme. They have separate offerings in black which are presumably for other models. 

https://www.gibson.com/en-GB/Product/PRPR-035/PRPR-035

https://www.gibson.com/en-GB/Product/PRPR-Bridge/PRPR-020

https://www.gibson.com/en-GB/Product/PRPR-Neck/PRPR-010

I suspect I need 'Historic' and that the others would be unsuitable. This is only a guess. I really don't know. I'm hoping someone can advise.

(the LP DC Standard (1998) below has a carved top.) 

jeHhksu.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know about the fit and function of the Historic pickup rings, but the cream coloured ones seem to match the aesthetic of the guitar as it is.
Especially with that existing guitar strap.

Now.
If the headstock is black-faced, and you allow me to mail you a nice black leather strap, then I think the black pickup rings would balance out.

(I have far too many guitar straps around here. Most of them brand new.  It's gotten out of hand.)

🫠

• Thanks 1

The historic rings are taller than the modern ones. 

Historic are 1/4” and 1/2” tall

Modern are 1/8” and 3/8” tall

Your guitar is currently equipped with modern rings, so if you’re happy with their height, the black rings will be the same but different color 

btw installing the springs and everything is a pain in the *** you might want to buy extra springs in case one flies into the abyss

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I don't know about the fit and function of the Historic pickup rings, but the cream coloured ones seem to match the aesthetic of the guitar as it is.
Especially with that existing guitar strap.

Now.
If the headstock is black-faced, and you allow me to mail you a nice black leather strap, then I think the black pickup rings would balance out.

(I have far too many guitar straps around here. Most of them brand new.  It's gotten out of hand.)

🫠

Too kind Sparky ☺️. I also have too many straps, and have not used them since covid (band is mothballed) and I never use them seated. Cheers anyway bud. We have also found in the past that sending stuff across the pond can be more expensive than anticipated. Its the uk's fault. They hold parcels until you pay them ransoms.

I suppose I've come to like the aesthetics of the 339 studio which is wine red with black binding and rings: 

Q7QuKUE.jpg

The LP DC Std is a lighter Hot Tomale Red. I would also change the switch tip to black; and yes the headstock is black.

zWpiBCAH.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The historic rings are taller than the modern ones. 

Historic are 1/4” and 1/2” tall

Modern are 1/8” and 3/8” tall

Your guitar is currently equipped with modern rings, so if you’re happy with their height, the black rings will be the same but different color 

btw installing the springs and everything is a pain in the *** you might want to buy extra springs in case one flies into the abyss

Thanks for clearing that up for me. 👍

Your right about the springs. I lost one when reversing a ring once. I cut the remaining one of half but the tension is slack now. I'd better get a half dozen and a pair of safety glasses.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Too kind Sparky ☺️. I also have too many straps, and have not used them since covid (band is mothballed) and I never use them seated. Cheers anyway bud. We have also found in the past that sending stuff across the pond can be more expensive than anticipated. Its the uk's fault. They hold parcels until you pay them ransoms.

I suppose I've come to like the aesthetics of the 339 studio which is wine red with black binding and rings: 

Q7QuKUE.jpg

The LP DC Std is a lighter Hot Tomale Red. I would also change the switch tip to black; and yes the headstock is black.

zWpiBCAH.jpg

Fabulous, and I agree with the black switch tip as well.

AND it would match your computer mouse, so there's that too.

😀

Yes. Pickups set low. It took a while to get there though. 

So far all the uk aftermarket rings have been wrong sizes, wrong hole pitches (Epi ?). Its starting to feel like the pickup covers quest all over again. 

I'll probably have to get Gibson or Stewmac ones.