Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Music

IanHenry

14 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Love the bluegrass stuff. The first one reminds me of the Osborne Brothers (is it a cover of one of their songs even?!), but I think the original post was regarding chart music as in Billboard 100 or UK top 40. For distinctive voices in the UK top 40, I would say that with Florence & the Machine you can always tell her voice and they have some pretty interesting songs...not just regular pop, however, they have been around for over 10 years so not exactly 'new'.

I don't know what or who Florence & The Machine are? A girl and a band, or a band name.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't know what or who Florence & The Machine are? A girl and a band, or a band name.

A girl named Florence and a band. This song got to No.1 in the UK charts a while back. I think she has a distinctive voice...and they have a harp. Don't know loads of their stuff, but I like quite a few of the songs I've heard. 

This is quite a cool song too - Drumming Song

Florence + the Machine - Drumming Song - YouTube

Edited by cody78

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Though to be picky Murph, these are young players playing an older style of music

So wait.

Bluegrass was invented in the 1940's by Bill Monroe.

Rock and Roll was invented in the 1950's . You can decide by whom.

I don't know what passes for rock anymore, to be honest.

At least Bluegrass can still be recognized.

7 hours ago, Murph said:

I don't know what passes for rock anymore, to be honest.

That is a concern. As has been said enough times before, anybody seems to get inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame, regardless of genre. So 'rock' has become a catch-all term to mean whatever the media want it to mean. 

Metal is fragmented into sub genres, but that is the exception. What are we to call the pap that radiates from 'current' commercial radio? Is it still rock? I don't think so, but I couldn't tell you what it is either.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:24 PM, merciful-evans said:

That is a concern. As has been said enough times before, anybody seems to get inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame, regardless of genre. So 'rock' has become a catch-all term to mean whatever the media want it to mean. 

Metal is fragmented into sub genres, but that is the exception. What are we to call the pap that radiates from 'current' commercial radio? Is it still rock? I don't think so, but I couldn't tell you what it is either.

I've solved it by never listening to the radio. I highly recommend it! 

On 8/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, Larsongs said:

I think if a Band or Artist comes along who is “truly” Great everyone will know.. You won’t have to search..

There's no money in Music today.. Kids are smarter today. There isn’t a lot of motivation to invest 10,000 hours doing something that most likely doesn’t pay.. Most Gigs don’t pay enough to cover your expenses. Some don’t pay at all. You gotta be crazy to be a musician! Better off getting a good Education & become an Engineer or whatever.. 

Nothing really revolutionary has come along since the 60’s.. Unless you call Hip Hop revolutionary.. So young Bands that do exist will play a lot of that music.. Sprinkled with some 70’s, 80’s, 90’s & a few newer ones.. 

Whether it’s a blessing or a curse.. I don’t know.. But, if it’s in your blood there’s nothing you can do about…. Play for the music.. 

I play because I love playing.   My weekly coffeehouse gig pays me and feeds me, but I would do it for nothing, simply because I love to play.   My days of being the next Dylan or Cash are long gone.  Besides, I never had anywhere near the needed talent or drive…….I just have a blast playing.   Has nothing to do with making money.   It’s about doing what I enjoy.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hip Hop is a bit of "C" and a lot of "Rap" and if you put the two together you get  . . .

Exactly!  In addition, a lot of it degrades women and celebrates violence.   No doubt, the “generation gap” plays a part in this, but what’s too often promoted in Rap and Hip Hop is very different from the way I view life.

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I play because I love playing.   My weekly coffeehouse gig pays me and feeds me, but I would do it for nothing, simply because I love to play.   My days of being the next Dylan or Cash are long gone.  Besides, I never had anywhere near the needed talent or drive…….I just have a blast playing.   Has nothing to do with making money.   It’s about doing what I enjoy.

Exactly!  In addition, a lot of it degrades women and celebrates violence.   No doubt, the “generation gap” plays a part in this, but what’s too often promoted in Rap and Hip Hop is very different from the way I view life.

Yes, cos there has never been any rock songs that degrade women has there.....

No groupies or any misogynistic behavior in rock at all...   🙄

Edited by Rabs

When I was very young my sister used to listen to some hip hop/ rap stuff. We'd listen to Snoop Dogg or Cyprus Hill together. I used to like some N.W.A too. I think as soon as I properly got into music at the age of 7 all the rap stuff just seemed lacking musically - often it relies on the beats and spoken word with little melody or harmonic interest and that didn't really appeal to me. I heard an old Snoop Dogg tune a few months ago and actually enjoyed it though. 

I did buy Ill Communication by the Beastie Boys about 20 years ago, listened to it maybe 3 times, but never really connected with it...though Sabotage is a fantastic song. I also once bought a Roots album and I tried my hardest to like it, but I ended up giving it to a charity shop.  Just found it dull to be honest. 

I love many styles of music, but the 2 genres I always struggled with are rap or EDM. I would rather listen to rap than EDM though. My sister also used to love dance music and I couldn't stand it. Used to have to listen to hours of it blasting through the wall of our rooms. Some of the worst 'music' ever created. Boring on all levels. It's like, lets make a 20 minute piece with 2 notes and '4 on the floor' where absolutely nothing happens. Let's not. I'd appreciate it a bit more if they actually played it on instruments and not programmed into some software. 

Back to rap, well 'grime'. I do try to be positive about things, but this has to be a contender for the worst song ever written STORMZY - BIG FOR YOUR BOOTS - YouTube

Edited by cody78

4 hours ago, cody78 said:

When I was very young my sister used to listen to some hip hop/ rap stuff. We'd listen to Snoop Dogg or Cyprus Hill together. I used to like some N.W.A too. I think as soon as I properly got into music at the age of 7 all the rap stuff just seemed lacking musically - often it relies on the beats and spoken word with little melody or harmonic interest and that didn't really appeal to me. I heard an old Snoop Dogg tune a few months ago and actually enjoyed it though. 

I did buy Ill Communication by the Beastie Boys about 20 years ago, listened to it maybe 3 times, but never really connected with it...though Sabotage is a fantastic song. I also once bought a Roots album and I tried my hardest to like it, but I ended up giving it to a charity shop.  Just found it dull to be honest. 

I love many styles of music, but the 2 genres I always struggled with are rap or EDM. I would rather listen to rap than EDM though. My sister also used to love dance music and I couldn't stand it. Used to have to listen to hours of it blasting through the wall of our rooms. Some of the worst 'music' ever created. Boring on all levels. It's like, lets make a 20 minute piece with 2 notes and '4 on the floor' where absolutely nothing happens. Let's not. I'd appreciate it a bit more if they actually played it on instruments and not programmed into some software. 

Back to rap, well 'grime'. I do try to be positive about things, but this has to be a contender for the worst song ever written STORMZY - BIG FOR YOUR BOOTS - YouTube

Well from my perspective I have enjoyed Rap as long as I have enjoyed Rock, both were around when I was growing up.

What slightly erks me about peoples attitude to rap is that some people seem to think all rap is "gangsta" rap. And it really isnt. That would be like listening to Warrent above and thinking all rock music is just like that. Theres many sub genres just as there is in rock. A lot of it is absolutely not about Hoes and AK47s.

Also Rap is a vocal style, hip hop is a music style. So yes, Hip Hop which does often come with rap is very much based on beats and bass and the flow of the rap..  If people arent in to that, thats fine, I dont expect everyone to like everything. We are all different. But to totally dismiss a whole genre of music cos you dont like a certain type of that music is a bit silly.

I didnt like EDM but had a lot of friends who did so I was subjected to that quite a lot..  I still dont like most of it but have listened to enough of it over the years to know that some of it is actually pretty well made and complex music..  Its just not done with a guitar type band that we are used to.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rabs said:

Also Rap is a vocal style, hip hop is a music style. So yes, Hip Hop which does often come with rap is very much based on beats and bass and the flow of the rap..  If people arent in to that, thats fine, I dont expect everyone to like everything. We are all different. But to totally dismiss a whole genre of music cos you dont like a certain type of that music is a bit silly.

Guilty as charged. I've always been a bit silly & its a trait that's never been a trouble to anyone so far.

There is no accounting for taste. So enjoy your rap in good cheer Rabs.

On 9/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, merciful-evans said:

Madonna is in the Hall. Name 5 things Rock about her. Trick question cause the answer is none.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Madonna is in the Hall. Name 5 things Rock about her. Trick question cause the answer is none.

She did attempt to play a Les Paul once or twice. That's 1 😄  …I do actually like a lot of Madonna's older songs (pre 2000), but I agree she is about as rock as Billie Eilish.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:05 PM, Rabs said:

Well from my perspective I have enjoyed Rap as long as I have enjoyed Rock, both were around when I was growing up.

What slightly erks me about peoples attitude to rap is that some people seem to think all rap is "gangsta" rap. And it really isnt. That would be like listening to Warrent above and thinking all rock music is just like that. Theres many sub genres just as there is in rock. A lot of it is absolutely not about Hoes and AK47s.

I didnt like EDM but had a lot of friends who did so I was subjected to that quite a lot..  I still dont like most of it but have listened to enough of it over the years to know that some of it is actually pretty well made and complex music..  Its just not done with a guitar type band that we are used to.

I agree you can find things to like in probably every genre of music...like I mentioned I do like Sabotage and a few other tunes in that genre. There are a few dance tunes I like, but it's not something I would say inspires me massively. Aphex Twin have some interesting ideas, but I don't love their music. I've never heard any EDM that is especially complex musically as far as I can recall, but would like to hear some and be proven wrong. I can listen to things as challenging as atonal/ serial classical, free form jazz or hardcore dissonant punk and enjoy it and find a lot more points of interest than I can in Hip hop or EDM, I guess that's all I meant. 

Edited by cody78

21 minutes ago, cody78 said:

I agree you can find things to like in probably every genre of music...like I mentioned I do like Sabotage and a few other tunes in that genre. There are a few dance tunes I like, but it's not something I would say inspires me massively. Aphex Twin have some interesting ideas, but I don't love their music. I've never heard any EDM that is especially complex musically as far as I can recall, but would like to hear some and be proven wrong. I can listen to things as challenging as atonal/ serial classical, free form jazz or hardcore dissonant punk and enjoy it and find a lot more points of interest than I can in Hip hop or EDM, I guess that's all I meant. 

Well that wasnt specifically aimed at you. But is a just a general attitude for people I encounter that dont like rap.. And indeed I have met many people who dont like rock for the same reasons. That they didnt like what they have heard, it was all just a distorted noise with cheesy lyrics, so they rubbish the whole genre.. And to me both attitudes usually come from ignorance of the genre..  But then this is a guitar forum  so I have come to expect it  🙂 

I wish I could share more info. But really its not something I can say I know that much about, its just my experience over the years and having friends who played that sort of thing regularly when id go for a visit.

I think the Gorillaz are a good example of crossing genres really well. In saying that I havent liked the last few albums that much.. Theres a tune here and there but hes gone a bit weird for me like Radiohead did. But thats me.. I know some other people who love it...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cody78 said:

She did attempt to play a Les Paul once or twice. That's 1 😄  …I do actually like a lot of Madonna's older songs (pre 2000), but I agree she is about as rock as Billie Eilish.

I own a pair of cowboy boots, but I'm not country. Madonna made dance music. I remember hearing people rave about this Billie character and I sampled some of her music. That was some of the most awful stuff I ever heard next to skinny Lizzo. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well that wasnt specifically aimed at you. But is a just a general attitude for people I encounter that dont like rap.. And indeed I have met many people who dont like rock for the same reasons. That they didnt like what they have heard, it was all just a distorted noise with cheesy lyrics, so they rubbish the whole genre.. And to me both attitudes usually come from ignorance of the genre..  But then this is a guitar forum  so I have come to expect it  🙂 

I wish I could share more info. But really its not something I can say I know that much about, its just my experience over the years and having friends who played that sort of thing regularly when id go for a visit.

I think the Gorillaz are a good example of crossing genres really well. In saying that I havent liked the last few albums that much.. Theres a tune here and there but hes gone a bit weird for me like Radiohead did. But thats me.. I know some other people who love it...

All good. Yes, I get what you are saying.  I myself have met many people who can't stand metal and dismiss it as noise/ a racket, however, I love a lot of metal and some hardcore stuff too. 

The Gorillaz did mix styles well and had some pretty good tunes. I always found it very interesting how people react to music. Someone might say they can't stand rock or metal, but then if you play the exact same chord/ melody/ solos clean or on an acoustic then they suddenly love it. I haven't heard much of their stuff, but I guess that's what Rodrigo y Gabriella used to do when they started. I heard they played Pantera & Metallica tunes on classical guitar and people liked it who wouldn't normally!  

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I own a pair of cowboy boots, but I'm not country. Madonna made dance music. I remember hearing people rave about this Billie character and I sampled some of her music. That was some of the most awful stuff I ever heard next to skinny Lizzo. 

Yes, when I first heard Billie I thought it was awful, but then someone kept playing me her 1st album and I did begin to like 2 songs off it a lot. I'm still not a big fan though. She mumbles a lot, but I don't mind it as much now as I did. 

Most of the rap I've heard was my son's rap collection when he was a teenager. Yes, its true that I'm largely ignorant about it, but not as ignorant as I'd prefer to be. 

But what about metal? I've made it clear enough times that I'm not into it, but the difference is that I used to be once; - albeit a v long time ago. I enjoyed the excessive gain and the  bigness of the sound. I know that feeling well. That sound was new when I enjoyed it before. It hasn't been new for a long time. What changed? I just got over it. Also  once I was able to get that sound myself, it became less and less important down the years. 

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

But what about metal? I've made it clear enough times that I'm not into it, but the difference is that I used to be once; - albeit a v long time ago. I enjoyed the excessive gain and the  bigness of the sound. I know that feeling well. That sound was new when I enjoyed it before. It hasn't been new for a long time. 

I guess  you could apply that to any style of music though. Once you have got used to the overall sound it can lose the freshness of the first times you heard it and become familiar. One thing I have always appreciated about metal is the stamina needed for the drum parts, especially with the more technical stuff.  Obviously some of the guitar parts are equally challenging in terms of speed. I always respected Dimebag and his style of soloing. Drums are my second instrument, so drummers like this impress me a whole lot...

Edited by cody78

9 hours ago, cody78 said:

One thing I have always appreciated about metal is the stamina needed for the drum parts, especially with the more technical stuff.  Obviously some of the guitar parts are equally challenging in terms of speed. I always respected Dimebag and his style of soloing. Drums are my second instrument, so drummers like this impress me a whole lot...

I have long considered drummers the most important part of any band. It doesn't matter what sort of band it is. I always watch drummers at gigs.

Metal guys: The tech & stamina are part of the show. Its the look, and the style. They are working super hard to impress.

Part of the reason I don't bother is that I no longer need nor want to be impressed. With that component removed from the music, what we're left with is the bit I care about. 

Sorry, my knowledge for rock is greatly lacking after the mid-70’s onward.  Never heard of Warrant.  Aside from a handful of names/groups, I just didn’t listen.  In regards to RAP, it created its own reputation.  No one did it but the rappers and the money behind them.  I agree on the “groupies.”   I’ve got a few when I play Wilshire Rehab Center & Retirement.    I figure that we all listen to what we enjoy.   

35 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Sorry, my knowledge for rock is greatly lacking after the mid-70’s onward.  Never heard of Warrant.  Aside from a handful of names/groups, I just didn’t listen.  In regards to RAP, it created its own reputation.  No one did it but the rappers and the money behind them.  I agree on the “groupies.”   I’ve got a few when I play Wilshire Rehab Center & Retirement.    I figure that we all listen to what we enjoy.   

Consider yourself lucky never having to hear Warrant. They  . . . what's the word I'm looking for . . . blow. Not one sexual innuendo in the song Cherry Pie.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper