Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Mandolin Suggestions for me please

MorrisrownSal

I'm guessing you're not looking for a Gibson F5. I remember you having a mandolin a few years back. I cannot speak on this one but was really impressed with the Cosey guitar I bought from them a few years ago. It was a carved top and back and all the workmanship was top notch. I did not care for the hardware and swapped it out. I looked on their site and saw this. Looks good to me and if you sign up you'll get an extra 10% off. I'm half tempted to get one. Would fit you well playing out with the pickup. Coupert will get you 15% off.

Eastwood MRG Mandolin - Electric Mandolin – Eastwood Guitars

Edited by Dave F

22 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Dave. Thanks.  The first one - chef’s kiss.

i know the Eastmans are great, I just have my mind set on one of American timbre.

I know what you mean. I've had about 6 mandolins. After I got this one, the others left.

52563332992_20d381fa9b_z.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Hoping to be at $2000 for one needing now work, and others accordingly less.

i think the repair folk by me have less experience making mandolins right… except Brothers.

Plenty of old A models with oval holes, probably not many F models unless maybe Gibson/Flatiron.  

$2k will get you a vintage oval-hole A. Buy from a reputable store if you go this route; things can happen with a hundred-year-old instrument, like a loose transverse brace or a sinking top, things you might not notice. 

You could get a used A9. There’s one for sale right now in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds, but it won’t last long. You should be looking there anyway. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/211184#211184  I’m not affiliated with the seller and have no financial interest. I prefer oval holes anyway.

Other than Gibson:

You could get a vintage style A Martin for 1K. 

You can find Flatirons in your range. Flatiron was bought by Gibson in the 80s.

You can get a SilverAngel, maybe a used Pava, Northfield, maybe a Mike Black or an Old Wave, two brands that specialize(d) in the old oval hole style. 

You won’t get an F-style from Gibson or any of the other known builders for 2K.  But you pay a lot for the scroll. 

Edited by stevo58

On 11/29/2023 at 2:59 PM, scriv58 said:

Reminiscent of a thread a couple of weeks ago, wherein the OP asked for help - wanted a GIBSON small body -  asked about 2 GIBSON Models.  Comments included  everything BUT what he asked about.   Different models, different makers,  probably suggestions he get a uke ...   He wound up getting a Martin.

Edited by fortyearspickn

35 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Reminiscent of a thread a couple of weeks ago, wherein the OP asked for help - wanted a GIBSON small body -  asked about 2 GIBSON Models.  Comments included  everything BUT what he asked about.   Different models, different makers,  probably suggestions he get a uke ...   He wound up getting a Martin.

Yep! Sounds about right around here! LOL!