Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the favorite stompbox for a les paul ?

tom brown

hello all,

I have a les paul VM with a 30 watt line 6 amp, a vox wah wah, and a boss ds1......

I don't have money for a new amp right now, but was wondering is there any device that would give me clear, creamy distorion and substain while still having the cutting power of the L.P.?

And here comes the hate.

It's not Hate, it's being Straight. Sometimes people forget what a good Amp sounds like and how it can make even a Shitty Axe sound Great. The dude should at least spend some money on a Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker. That will get-em closer to what he wants.

Your amp sucks. Your'e not going to get much out of that thing.

+1 instead of spending hundreds of dollars on pedals to make your garbage amp sound decent, you should probably spend hundreds of dollars on an amp to make your great guitar sound amazing.

Since you don't have the money for a new amp, I would suggest tinkering with your current one to find better settings. Between the DS-1 and the Wah you've got a lot of tonal options there already, so if you're getting sound that is just completely atrocious, I would say that your amp/pedal/guitar settings are a bit whacky. You'll find that you're pretty limited in useable tones, but play around with what you've got. Don't just spin everything to 10 and expect it to sound good. I was able to make a Behringer 15w analog modeling amp sound... tolerable. I'm sure your Line6 is at least as good as that.

It's the sad truth of this hobby, and many others, that you will oftentimes not be able to get all you want unless you have the money to pay for it. My advice: save for a good amp, don't waste money on pedals.

Hey Thunder' date=' How's it Going[/quote']

A little boring... we have elections here this sunday and so no one is allowed to sell/buy beer or any other alcoholic stuff for 48 hours before the voting starts... and I wa so bussy this week I forgot to buy beforehand :-

I think I'll go to some bad neighbourhood, find a nasty, dirty, cheap strip club and offer them some extra money in exchange for some booze...

+1 instead of spending hundreds of dollars on pedals to make your garbage amp sound decent' date=' you should probably spend hundreds of dollars on an amp to make your great guitar sound amazing.

Since you don't have the money for a new amp, I would suggest tinkering with your current one to find better settings. Between the DS-1 and the Wah you've got a lot of tonal options there already, so if you're getting sound that is just completely atrocious, I would say that your amp/pedal/guitar settings are a bit whacky. You'll find that you're pretty limited in useable tones, but play around with what you've got. Don't just spin everything to 10 and expect it to sound good. I was able to make a Behringer 15w analog modeling amp sound... tolerable. I'm sure your Line6 is at least as good as that.

It's the sad truth of this hobby, and many others, that you will oftentimes not be able to get all you want unless you have the money to pay for it. My advice: save for a good amp, don't waste money on pedals. [/quote']

+1000

I wish I had all the $$$$ I've spent on stuff to prop up an amp I didn't really like. I'm not going to bash modeling; I use it for recording song ideas and it works great for that. As max alluded to, there really is no substitute for a cranked up tube amp but, if that's the route you decide to go, be aware that most of them are one trick ponies so be prepare to search for one that is in a good power range for your needs (Bedroom? Small bars? Large clubs? Madison Square Garden?) and at least give you a good, basic meat-and-potatoes sound that you can work with.

The beauty of modeling is that, while most of the sounds fall short of the real deal, you get a crapload of them that can serve a lot of functions to suit what you need to do.

But, to answer your question, if I had to stick with just one dirt pedal, it would be the Analogman King of Tone. Still though, I'd put the money towards an amp that will suit your needs first.

I use a variety of distortion/overdrive pedals with my les paul, and I think they all sound great. If you want a nice overdrive sound, I would use an Ibanez TS9, a Boss BD-2, or even one of the really inexpensive digitech bad monkeys. They're all nice overdrive pedals, (the bad monkey is especially suprising, as its only $50) and they all sound good with a les paul. I would recommend for you to eventually upgrade your amp, but a nice overdrive pedal will still sound great with yours, and your sound will get even better once you upgrade!

The line 6 does have a celestion custom speaker in it, would the vintage make much of a difference..?

Also for the record, i have tried the gibson ga 5, the crate 15 watt, the new vox va5, and they all sound great when driven loud, but try to get any clean sounds out of thoses amps seems impossible....

And yes i get some decent sounds but hungry for more....thanks....

A Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker IMO would make that Line 6 sound much, much better. Heck they make anything Sound better and in a closed back enclosure are Best. They are the best speaker for the ratty mids and sweet highs out there and paired with a Celestion G12H Greenback will produce some of the best sounds even with a low end amp. The right Speakers make a big difference

Orange Amps utilize the Vintage 30 and a Greenback speaker combo and they are Sweet. Celestion Vintage 30 and the Greenbacks are only 150 dollars new and are about half that used and once you get 1 or 2 You'll have-em for life and will just be looking for an amp and you can always pull-em out of your existing Amp and put the originals back in and sell your amp, just don't get anything made in China. They Suck.

000_5578.jpg

If you have a good tube amp with good speakers you really don't need any pedals to get that Perfect Creamy Distorted sound. Maybe all you would need is a Tube-Screamer/wah and maybe a few small effects like trem/delay ect and of course a Z air brake Trainwreck Attenuator to really saturate your Tubes if your running anything over 50 watts and want to play anywhere exept a hall and all with good Quality cords.

P.S That Vintage Mayhogany you have are nice. With no maple top, the Darker sounding Mayhogany wood with the Brighter sounding Burstbucker Pro's is a nice Blend that produces a great sound. You just need to open-er-up and get rid of the Factory caps.

So to answer your Question. I'd have to say a good used Celestion Vintage 30 speaker if you can afford a new one at 150 or get a used one and or an Ibanez Tube Screamer or Search around for a used 80's Crate vintage Club 20 class A Tube Amp. They only go for only about 150 Dollars and Scream Cranked with nothing in front of it and they have a pretty respectable clean sound to boot.

Wow, what a surprise!

I rarely venture into pedal threads due to my severe allergy to them, why bother posting if all you offer is disagreement?

I see I've been beat to the punch!!!

Yeah, pedals are a useful tool in some situations but are simply a rubber crutch 90% of the time.

I won't even play with somebody who is addicted to pedals.

When I was in high school (early 80's) an old guy in a guitar shop told me and two friends to learn how to play the damned guitar first - best advise I ever got. My two friends had all kinds of pedals and gadgets - and couldn't play.

(Really, I can't play either but it's due to limited talent instead of preoccupation with squealing, humming, buzzing gadgets.)

The only thing between me and my Fender or Marshall amp is a Boss TU-2 tuner - the best $100 I ever spent.

If you want flexibility, versatility and tonal options in the hundreds - then get some pedals.

If you want TONE, get an amp with tubes - and get ready to spend some $$$$$.

$800 will get you a Fender Hot Rod DeVille in either 2x12 or 4x10. It goes up in price from there, dramatically.

Go look at the Mesa Boogie stuff and you'll get weak in the knees like me....

All that being said, I've toyed with the idea of getting a Boss OD or a Tube Screamer for years - just for kicks.

Recently, I've been looking at the Fulltone OCD. I might actually spring for that one.

Saw a very convincing web demo on it last year, I'll post the link for it if I find it.

A Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker IMO would make that Line 6 sound much' date=' much better. Heck they make anything Sound better and in a closed back enclosure are Best. They are the best speaker for the [b']ratty mids and sweet highs[/b] out there and paired with a Celestion G12H Greenback will produce some of the best sounds even with a low end amp.

Which is generally what you don't want for a modeling amp that models different speakers. For those Line 6 amps, you want a speaker that is pretty neutral or you end up with overly prominent mids because the models are already boosting those frequencies.

Max are you saying to cut all the tone caps out from the les paul???

No, he's saying that because he replaced the caps in his guitar that you will like your guitar better if you do the same thing that he did. However, he hasn't stated what caps he put in his guitar nor what sort of difference it made so we can assume only that any type of caps will do as long as they're not that ones that are in your guitar.

Thanks guys.

Max are you saying to cut all the tone caps out from the les paul???

No. What I'm saying replace the thin and too Bright Ceramic Factory Caps with any that you may pick' date=' I.E. Bumble-Bee's or what ever as long as they are Paper in Oil .014-.047 (exactly what range your ears make you settle on, I don't know) and Wired 50's style with 500 to 550ohm pots or maybe depending on your ears 300ohm pots

[/quote']img][img]img][img]img][img]

This is a Gibson Factory 2007 Stock set-up with the vary small ceramic caps

000_4104-2.jpg

That too my ears gives-ya a too bright and thin sound.

This is what you what to try and Duplicate

an original 1959 Gibby wiring set-up with the Famous 50's Military Bumble-Bees

with the 50's wiring connections

1959ORIGINALBUMBLEBEES.jpg

You've got a good distortion pedal, already. So, I too, would vote for getting a decent tube amp.

Fender Deluxe Reverb (or Twin Reverb...if you need that kind of volume), or a Mashall combo...for me.

Other's will have their "loves," no doubt. Loved EC into that old Marshall combo, on the "Beano" album,

and Mike Bloomfield used Fender amps, mostly...Twin Reverb, quite often. But, it really depends on what

overall tone YOU prefer.

Good luck!

CB

To me, you can't take everyones opinion. I've played with lots of different amps, lots of different speakers, wattage, settings, effects pedals. The whole deal. It's all about what you like, but if you can get your hands on an original Ibanez distortion pedal (can't remember the name) those can give you a really nice sound. Your line 6 has lot's of effects and **** on it already... that was your brilliant decision to buy that

Archived