Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for a soldering iron

RichCI

I live in an apartment so I don't have a ton of room for tools but I'm sure I can squeeze in a soldering iron. I want to swap pickups between a couple of guitars; normally, I'd take them to my tech for this sort of thing when I also need a setup but, since the one guitar was set up just a few weeks ago, I'd rather save the money and do it myself.

I don't do a lot of soldering (obviously or I'd already own an iron) so I don't need the biggest and the best but I don't want a piece of crap either. No idea what these things cost but I'd be willing to spend up to $50 (which sounds expensive to me for such a simple device). I have delusions of some day trying my hand at an amp project like one at AX84 but, given the limited space I have now, we'll see if that happens.

So, what would be a good one to get for small projects like guitar electronics and such?

I live in an apartment so I don't have a ton of room for tools but I'm sure I can squeeze in a soldering iron. I want to swap pickups between a couple of guitars; normally' date=' I'd take them to my tech for this sort of thing when I also need a setup but, since [b']the one guitar[/b] was set up just a few weeks ago, I'd rather save the money and do it myself.

I don't do a lot of soldering (obviously or I'd already own an iron) so I don't need the biggest and the best but I don't want a piece of crap either. No idea what these things cost but I'd be willing to spend up to $50 (which sounds expensive to me for such a simple device). I have delusions of some day trying my hand at an amp project like one at AX84 but, given the limited space I have now, we'll see if that happens.

So, what would be a good one to get for small projects like guitar electronics and such?

but what KIND of guitars?

;P

I have one like that one, but mine can be switched from 20 to 40 watts... prety useful for some work with more delicate parts...

EDIT: I bought mine in radioshack for 20 bucks... it has its own base/support thing, and everything you need to use it safely.

I have a 40 watt from Radio Shack, it works fine, most importatly it works when solering wire to pots. I also have a 25 watter for finer work. Each was like $7-$10 so even buying 2 is cheap.

If you are going to use it to change pickups that means you have to solder on to pots, 40 watts is the lowest I would go.

If you're going to be soldering wires to pots' date=' you'll need 40 to 45 watts.[/quote']

One of the things that's good about the variable temp is you can leave it on 20 while it's idle, then before you use it bring it up to 40. A little more trouble, but less dangerous for the living room repair man.

Sounds like the switchable 20w/40w type would be the way to go. FirstMeasure's pic reminded me that I want to get a Foxrox wah retrofit for my wah.

Cool, I put in the Hot Potz 100. It's sure made a big difference. It was quieter than the day i bought it.

RichCI, go for a proper soldering station. You know, the right tool is half the work, an investment for life and all that. Especially if you want to do some electronic projects. Works much better for simple jacks and pots work too.

Something like a Weller WES51, can be had for $84 at Amazon or $125 at Radioshack. There are other good brands too, but Weller is pretty much the default unless you have something specific in mind.

DJ

--

Rich, first of all don't waste your time with Radio Shack irons.

I found this great deal on a soldering station at Howard Electronics

It has adjustable temps and if you want to do an amp project I highly recommend this feature. You need a heavy heat for making some of the ground connections.

It heats up extremely quick so if you're not soldering right away, you cut the temp to zero and then turn it up and it only takes 3-8 seconds to heat up. It has a heavy holder for when you need to set the soldering iron down and it wont roll off the bench.

It comes with a find point tip (pencil tip) for fine solder details which is great for working on push/pull pots or mini-toggle switches - you can buy other tips as needed. If you do or plan to do a lot of soldering/mod jobs this is a good deal - it was about $55 after shipping in the US (you can also order one for you're countries voltage). I just checked their web site $49.95 + shipping.

There may be better ones out there, but for the price it is a good deal - sure beats what you can buy at Radio Shack, Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes and to be honest, sometimes you need a lower temp iron so as not to burn up your caps etc... and sometimes you need something with higher temps - like grounding to a chassis or bridge.

I live in an apartment so I don't have a ton of room for tools but I'm sure I can squeeze in a soldering iron. I want to swap pickups between a couple of guitars; normally' date=' I'd take them to my tech for this sort of thing when I also need a setup but, since the one guitar was set up just a few weeks ago, I'd rather save the money and do it myself.

[/quote']

I've only been to the AX84 site a few times, but people tell me there is a wealth of information there.

I don't have much room at the moment either. I built my amp on top of a TV tray. I have a few other "temporary" tables to set tools on. If you're serious about building an amp I say try and rearrange some items in your apt or put a cover over your amp and use it as a table top - just build an amp with a smaller chassis.

And get a variable temp soldering iron and above all - don't buy a soldering gun, get an iron.

Archived