Gibson Brands Forums

A Happy Ending

SteveFord

I was re watching the Get Back doc this weekend. I'm in the middle of disc 2. Paul started out with his Hofner and had stings on it that had red silk around the end, then a while later he had yellow silk. He also took the sticker off his Bassman amp (that said Bassman), and stuck it on his bass. I also spotted a huge Fender amp and on it in big letters on the front it said . . .  now try to stay contained  . . . Solid State. Oh the horror. Take that tube guys the Beatles used solid state amps.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Murph said:

Did anybody ever cop to being the low life thief sob?

Murph,

I doubt that anyone would come forward to claim that "distinction" after so many years. It was the act of a dishonest person, who if they are still living might be ashamed to admit to being a thief in their younger days. 

We admire people who steal bases, not basses. 

RBSinTo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Murph said:

Did anybody ever cop to being the low life thief sob?

The CNN article mentioned that the real break came when the son emailed the research team months before, but no one gave it any thought until the engineers “revealed” exactly where the van was parked months later.  They contacted the emailer, and he said his dad told him he had done it and  “given” it to the pub owner to keep after he grabbed it. The son speculated that dad didn’t even know it was Paul’s, 🙄

There are a lot of stupid gaps in both stories. Like why the discrepancy in the year it got stolen? You’d think Paul would know exactly it got swiped, and they knew exactly where the van was parked at the time, so why was it the guys in charge of the van coming forward decades later, suddenly crucial to  “breaking the case?”  

The whole things sounds like a poorly constructed AI detective story.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Murph said:

I liked it back when they would cut off your hand for stealing.

It was easy to spot a thief in those days.

Murph,

Also easy to spot those who weren't guitar players.

On the other hand (sorry, couldn't help myself), I'll bet you wouldn't find many gigs in the countries that still impose those sorts of punishment. Or cool music stores to hang around in either. Be careful what you wish for.

RBSinTo

I read an article saying it may be worth $5 million, tying Elvis' 1968 red Hagstrom Viking for the most valuable guitar. Most of us think a '59 burst LP is the Holy Grail. How did a bass and a modestly regarded Swedish electric get to the top. I guess a good argument that the famous owner's provenance does matter. At least if they're extremely famous.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:44 AM, PrairieDog said:

The CNN article mentioned that the real break came when the son emailed the research team months before, but no one gave it any thought until the engineers “revealed” exactly where the van was parked months later.  They contacted the emailer, and he said his dad told him he had done it and  “given” it to the pub owner to keep after he grabbed it. The son speculated that dad didn’t even know it was Paul’s, 🙄

There are a lot of stupid gaps in both stories. Like why the discrepancy in the year it got stolen? You’d think Paul would know exactly it got swiped, and they knew exactly where the van was parked at the time, so why was it the guys in charge of the van coming forward decades later, suddenly crucial to  “breaking the case?”  

The whole things sounds like a poorly constructed AI detective story.  

What Paul knew and what the guys who worked for him knew were not necessarily public knowledge, so the researchers who were trying to find the missing Hofner may not have known those facts and may have been initially relying on other reports of the events that were not 100% correct, such as the location (Apple Corps Savile Row) and the 1969 year of the theft as opposed to the actual 1972 date. Once the guys who worked for Paul filled them in about the actual year and location of the theft, they were able to match the location with the information from the son (which they probably initially assumed was wrong due to it not aligning with the other "facts" that they thought to be true), and put it all together. 

I'm glad Paul got the bass back. 

Just now, Phil OKeefe said:

What Paul knew and what the guys who worked for him knew were not necessarily public knowledge, so the researchers who were trying to find the missing Hofner may not have known those facts and may have been initially relying on other reports of the events that were not 100% correct, such as the location (Apple Corps Savile Row) and the 1969 year of the theft as opposed to the actual 1972 date. Once the guys who worked for Paul filled them in about the actual year and location of the theft, they were able to match the location with the information from the son (which they probably initially assumed was wrong due to it not aligning with the other "facts" that they thought to be true), and put it all together. 

Okay, what you are saying makes sense.  The CNN article implied that the researchers were working “with” Paul et al on the return.  I could certainly see the scenario you describe.  I doff my tinfoil internet cynic hat to you, sir.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Phil OKeefe,

A CNN article?????

It's not like there are other really important issues to report on, so they had to do "serious investigative journalism" to tell this story.

Just knowing that it was lost, recovered, and returned was far, far more than I ever needed to know, or cared about this business. 

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, Murph said:

I liked it back when they would cut off your hand for stealing.

It was easy to spot a thief in those days.

So when were you around to see that? And if you are you are really showing your age. That's Middle Eastern justice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1