Gibson Brands Forums

How to order from Gibson custom shop? Sj200 with 24.75 scale

I play in a group that plays a  retirement home and if you want a Gibson that competes in loudness it's the AJ, next would be a J- 35 because of the forward shifted braces, then maybe a Dove, last would probably be a J-45.

I think 'the literature' going back says Gibson created the J200 before 'electronics' in an attempt to provide guitar chord background in orchestras and big bands.  Cowboy artists got on board after that.  But Martin had different ideas of how to build a "banjo killer" and was more successful.   Only based on mine - the SJ200 is not louder than a J45 or an H'bird.  But is definitely more balanced and sweeter.  

If the J200 is set up properly. The scale short length idea will be forgotten.   I have quite a few J200s.   They are very easy to play.  I dont have a issue with finger picking  those either 

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:38 AM, gibsonchiq said:

J200 not known for being extra loud?

I thought they were known for being the absolute loudest and biggest sounding guitars gibson makes, and also of all guitars

No - try them and you find them surprisingly discrete. Some are louder than others though. 

On 3/21/2024 at 4:02 AM, gibsonchiq said:

Well my mind is blown. I thought the j200 was the answer to Martin's big dreadnaughts.

So is a J45 Gibsons loudest and rumbly guitar?

J-45 - all in all an outstanding creation on earth - has the ideal volume for an acoustic guitar. Again they come in many sonic variations over the same theme. 

On 3/21/2024 at 4:05 AM, J185cat said:

I would pick the AJ to fill that spot.

You would not be the only one - there is a reason so many have called the Advanced Jumbo a canon.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I think piano is used about the Roy Smeck / (almost forgotten) Jackson Browne models. 

On 3/21/2024 at 4:56 AM, gibsonchiq said:

So in order of largest sound deepest bass

1. AJ

2. J-45

3. Sj200

?

Something like that, but don't be too square.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Go out and try a Dove (maple), , , , and the 'cousin' known as the Gibson Acoustic Firebird Custom(quilted maple). The latter will probably blow your 🎩 off. . . 

And then remember : Volume ain't gawd. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And then remember : Volume ain't gawd. 

Excactly! You can always add pickup system to any acoustic guitar for volume if you need it. If you are just looking for a loud guitar, without caring about tone, there are around a zillion electrics that will give you that. 

And just mentioning, if you want bass forward,  our bassiest guitar isn’t a Gibson at all.  We have to actually dampen the bass when we plug it in.  Though if I wanted to fake a simple bass line, I probably could.  The tone woods are sinker redwood top over rosewood on a dreadnaught body a bit smaller than a j45.  However, you probably aren’t looking in the direction of that often dissed “newer” brand. 

Edited by PrairieDog

On 3/20/2024 at 6:41 PM, J185cat said:

I may be wrong about this but I think Gibson did an Emily Lou Harris version of the J200 back in the 2000’s that was a shorter scale. Hey, it’s Gibson. Probably would be easier to ask what they haven’t  made.

That would be easy - how about a guitar with three tone bars, one with non-scalloped bracing, an L-00 which clocks in at around three pounds, and instrument with a hand rubbed instead of sprayed finish, etc., etc., and so on.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:41 PM, J185cat said:

I may be wrong about this but I think Gibson did an Emily Lou Harris version of the J200 back in the 2000’s that was a shorter scale. Hey, it’s Gibson. Probably would be easier to ask what they haven’t  made.

They came up with the L200 which I think was based on the J165. There's one on eBay that the seller offered to me for $2499. I've had a couple J165 configurations, but didn't keep any of them. If this one was in better shape, I'd be tempted.

Gibson Emmylou Harris acoustic Guitar | eBay

I remember they made a 1994 J200 Rose for her too. I believe it was full size.

emmylou L200

m3cdyetwepp0ev783cc9.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

They came up with the L200 which I think was based on the J165. There's one on eBay that the seller offered to me for $2499. I've had a couple J165 configurations, but didn't keep any of them. If this one was in better shape, I'd be tempted.

emmylou L200

m3cdyetwepp0ev783cc9.jpg

The Rose was a Centennial Full size   The one model I did not buy.    I was to focused on Custom Shop built AJs and SJ200s  aside from the 11 Centennial acoustics.  Then I did buy a Monarch and a Presentation    I tapped out for a couple years after that. 😀

2 minutes ago, slimt said:

The Rose was a Centennial Full size   The one model I did not buy.    I was to focused on Custom Shop built AJs and SJ200s  aside from the 11 Centennial acoustics.  Then I did buy a Monarch and a Presentation    I tapped out for a couple years after that. 😀

Are we hearing a 200-collector here. In that case a group picture would lift the entire Board. 

And if that's too much, some lines about their virtues and differences are guaranteed to hit the top of the charge. In other words, please tell more. . 

17 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Are we hearing a 200-collector here. In that case a group picture would lift the entire Board. 

And if that's too much, some lines about their virtues and differences are guaranteed to hit the top of the charge. In other words, please tell more. . 

It was actually more than that.     

I read once that Emmylou Harris in an interview said something to the effect "There is nothing that can compare to a fifth fret  A bar chord on an SJ200."    I'm surprised by the significant difference in size between the SJ200 alongside the L200.  I saw one in a case once at Sam Ash. Didn't ask to see it.  Just seems like it would have a different level of 'fullness'.  Breadth and Depth and Balance.  

38 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I read once that Emmylou Harris in an interview said something to the effect "There is nothing that can compare to a fifth fret  A bar chord on an SJ200."    I'm surprised by the significant difference in size between the SJ200 alongside the L200.  I saw one in a case once at Sam Ash. Didn't ask to see it.  Just seems like it would have a different level of 'fullness'.  Breadth and Depth and Balance.  

Yes, recall that statement and believe I wrote about it here too. Have been searching for an example of exactly this A bar chord on the Tube since.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Time to go out and find a Super Jumbo in the real world.

Ouh, and Emmylou !, , , which strings do you recommend. . . ?

I've had an epiphany = never found an 'aha' moment with any of the dozens of strings I've tried.   Some were noticeably better, but none were 'great'.  Until I put a set of Elixir 80/20 Phosphor/Bronze Nanoweb medium lights on my 2010 SJ200.  Just made it sound unearthly.  Been on there a year and a half.  No plan to take them off anytime soon. Some flaking, but they still sound other-worldly.   Obviously, I'm not good at describing 'tone'.  But I know what I love when I hear it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave F said:

emmylou L200

m3cdyetwepp0ev783cc9.jpg

Yeah that’s right. I was getting the two models mixed somehow. What happens when you rely on memory.

22 hours ago, Murph said:

She's so cool.

I bet she uses GHS Vintage Bronze.... 

she definitely plays. She was the only rhythm guitar and played every song. If I remember correctly, she did a couple solo numbers.  My daughter went with me and became a fan. 

• Like 1