Gibson Brands Forums

How to order from Gibson custom shop? Sj200 with 24.75 scale

Firstly, I guess would Gibson even make an SJ 200 with 24.75 scale?

Secondly, where is the master list of possible options?

I googled how to custom order from gibson, and everyone is saying that you have to contact your local dealer. 

does this mean that the local dealer has an updated spreadsheet with all the different possible options?

Go to a guitar store that sells Gibson’s and talk about doing a M2M guitar. You must place the order through a shop. Gibson probably won’t do that scale on that guitar do to  re-tooling the machines, but you can ask. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I may be wrong about this but I think Gibson did an Emily Lou Harris version of the J200 back in the 2000’s that was a shorter scale. Hey, it’s Gibson. Probably would be easier to ask what they haven’t  made.

58 minutes ago, J185cat said:

I may be wrong about this but I think Gibson did an Emily Lou Harris version of the J200 back in the 2000’s that was a shorter scale. Hey, it’s Gibson. Probably would be easier to ask what they haven’t  made.

Emily Lou pulls a little more weight than some guy off the street.

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Does Gibson make a modern Spec non Pre War version SJ-200 with Spruce Top & Rosewood Back & Sides & LR Baggs?

You forgot "pre-CBS".

Yer welcome.

rct

I would think you would not any issues getting one made. The Humming bird and even the new J45 Custom Ebony have the bird beak bound necks and are short scale so they're tooled for it.

From my experience, the maple guitars are not that loud but have a very balanced sweet tone. The J200's (I'm on my 5th one) are not known for being extra loud and that's with the long scale. My fear is you may not like the sound of the Jumbo maple with a short scale. If you haven't tried one a J185 (slightly smaller 16" instead of 17", maple body) is a short scale and I like them.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I would think you would not any issues getting one made. The Humming bird and even the new J45 Custom Ebony have the bird beak bound necks and are short scale so they're tooled for it.

From my experience, the maple guitars are not that loud but have a very balanced sweet tone. The J200's (I'm on my 5th one) are not known for being extra loud and that's with the long scale. My fear is you may not like the sound of the Jumbo maple with a short scale. If you haven't tried one a J185 (slightly smaller 16" instead of 17", maple body) is a short scale and I like them.

Good Luck!

J200 not known for being extra loud?

I thought they were known for being the absolute loudest and biggest sounding guitars gibson makes, and also of all guitars

34 minutes ago, Dave F said:

From my experience, the maple guitars are not that loud but have a very balanced sweet tone. 

I agree.  The three J200s I have owned in the past were not loud instruments.  It must be the maple.  The J185 I now have is short-scaled maple and not loud at all.........quite warm with a lot of low mids.  I do think I J200 is better balanced in comparison.

I think my M2M Gibson acoustic would be a 12-fret Hummingbird..............

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Emily Lou pulls a little more weight than some guy off the street.

That was not the point. I was just saying they have done it before and it should not be a problem.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gibsonchiq said:

Well my mind is blown. I thought the j200 was the answer to Martin's big dreadnaughts.

So is a J45 Gibsons loudest and rumbly guitar?

I would pick the AJ to fill that spot.

The Pre War J-200’s were Spruce Top with Rosewood Back & Sides.. A excellent combination for beautiful balanced clean tone & plenty of volume..

When & why did they opt for Maple Back & Sides?? Is there a non Studio model modern Spec  SJ-200 with Rosewood Back & Sides with L.R. Baggs?

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

From my experience, the maple guitars are not that loud but have a very balanced sweet tone. The J200's (I'm on my 5th one) are not known for being extra loud and that's with the long scale. 

4 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

I agree.  The three J200s I have owned in the past were not loud instruments.  It must be the maple.  The J185 I now have is short-scaled maple and not loud at all.........quite warm with a lot of low mids.  I do think I J200 is better balanced in comparison.

Agree here, too. Imhop, the '200's are more known for their incredibly balanced tone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

. . . I think my M2M Gibson acoustic would be a 12-fret Hummingbird..............

That would be bizarre.  Although I don't hear "warm" with the '185, it's the mini Jumbo's (?) bass note clarity and general projection that catches my ear.

Now, a 12-fret '185- that might warm things up a bit.

Edited by 62burst

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

When & why did they opt for Maple Back & Sides?? Is there a non Studio model modern Spec  SJ-200 with Rosewood Back & Sides with L.R. Baggs?

Rosewood J200s (all  J200s) ceased in 1942 or so, likely due to availability of rosewood at the time.  Maple was the wood when production of the model resumed in '46........don't know the why of that.  Currently there are a few rosewood J200s:  Pre-War SJ200 Rosewood  -  Western Classic J200  and one or two others as well.   One of the 200s I had was a WC........nice guitar but suffered from a marginal neck set..............

Znytxvp.jpeg

Hey, thanks everyone! After reading all these comments I am just chiming in to say I’m seconding the idea the maple may be to blame.  And, you all set my mind right about my DIF.  Since I picked that up early in the spree, I’ve noticed, even being the largest body we have, I was thinking it was sounding quiet, a bit of a wall flower, in comparison  with smaller guitars with RW or mahogany, including the little 12 fret L1 archtop. It still sounds dreamy unplugged, but now I have an explanation why it doesn’t hold the center in a jam.  I will give it more love as a solo instrument, and stop thinking of the quietness as a tiny disappointment.  As always thanks for the great info. 

Edited by PrairieDog

5 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I’ve always thought my DIF is the sweetest sounding guitar I have. 

Oh for sure… There is nothing like it, it’s beautiful,  I just learned a bit more about it today, and that I shouldn’t have been expecting it to compete with the boomier guitars