Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird limits

I recently bought a 1960 fixed bridge hummingbird and love it. However, I’ve never had a hummingbird and I’ve been trying to figure out what sounds great. I am using D’Addario XS light gauge 80/20 strings.  The way it sounds when I finger pic and play leads is great. However . I have found out what they mean about it having its own space but not being very good to accompany other Guitars. today I went out on a sidewalk in my town and played some songs. Couple times I would put the capo on the fourth fret cause I’ve always liked that on other guitars. But what I found out was that this hummingbird is not for that kind of thing. It sounded too high-pitched and too thin. I found myself trying to play as tenderly as I could. but maybe that is the limits of this guitar. I’m fine with that and can use this for songwriting and use my Martin out on the sidewalk. I just thought this was an interesting thing to find out. 

Yes I started out with it using light phosphor bronze. Thought it was the phosphor that was so “bassy”. But maybe I’ll go back to that and see if it sounds fuller. Not quite ready for mediums.  Don’t want to overdrive the VOS top. 

My HB (99) has a lovely, soft tone. Plenty of bass etc. But what it does not have in my opinion is that”punch” to cut through in a mix of guitars. I think may well be due to the fact that the mid range is scooped somewhat. Solo, sitting on the sofa or on the deck I love it but would not be the one I would take to a jam. Now I’m sure others will come on here and give countless examples of just the opposite but that is my experience.

2 hours ago, Poopsidoo said:

I recently bought a 1960 fixed bridge hummingbird and love it. However, I’ve never had a hummingbird and I’ve been trying to figure out what sounds great. I am using D’Addario XS light gauge 80/20 strings.  The way it sounds when I finger pic and play leads is great. However . I have found out what they mean about it having its own space but not being very good to accompany other Guitars. today I went out on a sidewalk in my town and played some songs. Couple times I would put the capo on the fourth fret cause I’ve always liked that on other guitars. But what I found out was that this hummingbird is not for that kind of thing. It sounded too high-pitched and too thin. I found myself trying to play as tenderly as I could. but maybe that is the limits of this guitar. I’m fine with that and can use this for songwriting and use my Martin out on the sidewalk. I just thought this was an interesting thing to find out. 

Understood - the 7 heavens know I lOVE my 12 years old TV Hummingbirds and find the model one of my favorites, but they have weaknesses and I've written 'bout them before.                                                           Would never bring a Bird to an acoustic kitchen jam - nor launch it as a street-busker, , , and rarely use capo on the fliers at all.                                                                                                                      My Birds are excellent as instruments in the sofa ritual - just me and their warm kool snappy primitive yet utterly sophisticated brown-orange presence. There they stand clear and ultra defined - will give everything back with immaculate loyalty, which is exactly what you want silence to hear. They are a dream to play, , , and feel/sound'n'look like bliss. 

Hover high but permanently live half a step down.

12 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

And yet there were so many records of the late 60s/early 70s that had Hummingbrids strummed on them (wasn't that what was on so many Stones records)?  So maybe it's more the style of play in a mix?  

Sure - strummed but also slow-flat-picked, , , and that was what made the Hummingbird legend.

Just remember all those performances were done on one the most scorned concepts in acoustic history : The adjustable saddle & bridge.                                                                                                                                                      What we hear on those clazzik tracks is burned white porcelain, perhaps even raised above the top - sometimes even in a plastic hollow bridge. 

😵

Take that, international acoustic guitar society

😎

Listen and learn, all you wannabes and newbies 

, , , , and have a good weekend

You can’t expect a great new Acoustic Guitar to sound like a great aged Acoustic Guitar. For new Acoustic Guitars the question is, does it sound good enough now? That’s why it’s so important to play before you buy or buy with a no hassle 45 day Return or Exchange policy.. 

• Like 1

have the Hummingbird 1960 Fixed Bridge as well and I agree with you - it doesn’t like to be capoed (capo’d?).  I think it has to do with scale length as I hear this on my J-45, although not to the same degree.  Hummingbirds just aren’t that loud. So, I could see how it’s not the best for playing outside. But they’re great for vocal accompaniment and sure do record well.

I’m torn between using light and medium strings on my Hummingbird.  My J-45 definitely sounds better with mediums. No contest. I have mediums on my Hummingbird now and they give it more over tones and overall volume.  But you know how Hummingbirds do that slight “chorus“ effect (some say it sounds like 2 guitars are playing at the same time)?  I’m leaning towards lights giving it more of that sound, but a bit quieter.  I’ve only had this guitar for three months, so I’m still getting used to it.  But I do love it.

IMG_4524.jpeg.65552db17b93b96ddc97ab7ea99407ee.jpeg

Edited by Silversurfer

I guess I can’t use my Hummingbird for busking or jams anymore.  In the twenty years I’ve had it I’ve never noticed all of these limitations it has…….Seriously, just like “The greatest guitar player,” it’s depends on who you ask.   If you like the guitar, use it for whatever music you like.  If you’ve like a different guitar for different styles/venues/genres, then use the guitar that is right for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Seriously, just like “The greatest guitar player,” it’s depends on who you ask.  If you like the guitar, use it for whatever music you like.  If you’ve like a different guitar for different styles/venues/genres, then use the guitar that is right for you.

Couldn't agree more ^ 🐣

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:36 AM, egoidealmusic said:

Hahaha you win, E-minor7.  Maybe that's why I think of the Hummingbird as a more mellow sound than something like a J-45.  Now I want one... 

Both Birds and J-45s are fantastic yet very different mahogany guitars. It would be extremely hard almost impossible to choose. 

The flier is sophisticated and delicate, , , , with something quite simple or primal under the surface.

The workhorse is rural and raw, , , with a dimension of finesse hidden and waiting to be caressed forward. 

14 hours ago, Silversurfer said:

have the Hummingbird 1960 Fixed Bridge as well and I agree with you - it doesn’t like to be capoed (capo’d?).  I think it has to do with scale length as I hear this on my J-45, although not to the same degree.  Hummingbirds just aren’t that loud. So, I could see how it’s not the best for playing outside. But they’re great for vocal accompaniment and sure do record well.

I’m torn between using light and medium strings on my Hummingbird.  My J-45 definitely sounds better with mediums. No contest. I have mediums on my Hummingbird now and they give it more over tones and overall volume.  But you know how Hummingbirds do that slight “chorus“ effect (some say it sounds like 2 guitars are playing at the same time)?  I’m leaning towards lights giving it more of that sound, but a bit quieter.  I’ve only had this guitar for three months, so I’m still getting used to it.  But I do love it.

IMG_4524.jpeg.65552db17b93b96ddc97ab7ea99407ee.jpeg

Enjoy this beauty ~ and remember it will open up then slowly offer a looser louder bass. Give it 8 + years. . .

That 'chorus' effect is new to me. Will definitely listen to hear if it's there. May you travel far together. .

• Upvote 1

The Hummingbird is one of my most favorite Guitars.. It is on my short list..

They come with several different choices for Backs & Sifes. Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood & Koa…

Price from low to high.. The Standard has Mahogany.. Originals have Maple.  The Deluxe has Rosewood Back & Sides. The Custom has Koa & is the most expensive.

A lot of choices! They must all have their own unique Sound.. They all should have different Tones & Volume levels.

Has anyone played all 4 side by side? or own all 4? If budget wasn’t an issue which one would you choose? And Why?

I've found that  if I play my j45 exclusively for several weeks, when I pick up my H'Bird tv - it does sound ...different.  My aural memory is comparing it to the j45, and screaming - THAT'S not what we're expecting in here (between my ears).  So, I have to play it for several days to re-program my brain into recognizing that 'not all guitars sound like the last one you heard'.   Imagine if you played a 12 stringer every day for a year and then sat down with a j45.  Non Compis Mentis. "not of sound mind".    Give your new H'Bird time to get broken in. And remember - it's an acquired taste.  Like Irish Whisky.  It was designed to be different - IE  to 'sound' different.   I think sometimes we return perfectly great guitars within the return policy window because our egos tell us  'You screwed up, it doesn't sound right." Buyers remorse.   Sometimes we just mover them on after letting them sit in their cases for a couple of years.   Instead, we should put our other guitars in their cases and give the newbie center stage and plenty of air time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

The Hummingbird is one of my most favorite Guitars.. It is on my short list..

They come with several different choices for Backs & Sifes. Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood & Koa…

Price from low to high.. The Standard has Mahogany.. Originals have Maple.  The Deluxe has Rosewood Back & Sides. The Custom has Koa & is the most expensive.

A lot of choices! They must all have their own unique Sound.. They all should have different Tones & Volume levels.

Has anyone played all 4 side by side? or own all 4? If budget wasn’t an issue which one would you choose? And Why?

Lars, you know I have the Koa.   I've had it for 13 years....and it REALLY opened up after 7-8 years.    The neck is wider than my Doves, and with the short scale, is wonderful to play and gives me the perfect backing for my (awful) singing.

The Hummingbird 12-String is a monster.... will drown out the Doves without even trying....but that could be because of the extra 6 strings....it's mahogany and was well opened up before I got it from Leslie.

If you want to be heard in a acoustic jam....then a Dove is what you should choose.   Maple, long scale....both of mine are VERY aggressive and used to being played HARD.

18 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Lars, you know I have the Koa.   I've had it for 13 years....and it REALLY opened up after 7-8 years.    The neck is wider than my Doves, and with the short scale, is wonderful to play and gives me the perfect backing for my (awful) singing.

The Hummingbird 12-String is a monster.... will drown out the Doves without even trying....but that could be because of the extra 6 strings....it's mahogany and was well opened up before I got it from Leslie.

If you want to be heard in a acoustic jam....then a Dove is what you should choose.   Maple, long scale....both of mine are VERY aggressive and used to being played HARD.

I watch your Videos & enjoy them.. Your Bird does sound really good. I’ve been curious about Koa.. In Hawaii it’s the wood of choice for Ukes.. I have seen & heard how amazing they look & how incredible they sound.. Does Koa have the strength of Rosewood? 

15 minutes ago, Dave F said:

There’s othet factors besides the guitar scale and tone woods.  Strings, string height, pick, attack. 

For sure… very important.. But, the first thing you have to do is try them & decide which one to buy.. Then make all the adjustments.. Dynamics apply to everything…

30 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I watch your Videos & enjoy them.. Your Bird does sound really good. I’ve been curious about Koa.. In Hawaii it’s the wood of choice for Ukes.. I have seen & heard how amazing they look & how incredible they sound.. Does Koa have the strength of Rosewood? 

I'm not sure about comparing Koa to Rosewood.... I need to try a good Rosewood guitar to see.

35 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Oh...and thanks for mentioning  my videos.

They're really not for "presentation" as much as "documentation".

I hope my grandkids will someday recognize the effort.

Edited by DanvillRob