Gibson Brands Forums

RRHOF Or S for Shame

Here is this years hall of shame inductees.

The 2024 class of inductees.

In the performer category, this year’s inductees are Mary J. Blige, Cher, Dave Matthews Band, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & The Gang, Ozzy Osbourne and A Tribe Called Quest.

Jimmy Buffett, MC5, Dionne Warwick and Norman Whitfield were selected as the recipients for the Musical Excellence Award.

I guess all the really big ones are in already, now it’s a few stragglers and who ever else the old of touch selection committee lets in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is this years hall of shame inductees.

The 2024 class of inductees.

In the performer category, this year’s inductees are Mary J. Blige, Cher, Dave Matthews Band, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & The Gang, Ozzy Osbourne and A Tribe Called Quest.

Jimmy Buffett, MC5, Dionne Warwick and Norman Whitfield were selected as the recipients for the Musical Excellence Award.

I guess all the really big ones are in already, now it’s a few stragglers and who ever else the old of touch selection committee lets in.

I could only vote for one....and I voted for Peter Frampton.

Last year I voted for Warren Zevon.

I understand the HOF cannot ONLY be for Old-Time Rockers....it HAS to include music for the next generation...and the generaton after that.

I suppose they can manipulate the votes, (If it can be done in a US Presidential Election, it sure as heck can be done by a private museum), but the inductees SHOULD be selected by a vote of the members.

I think they do a pretty good job of getting new inductees, and a FABULOUS job of presenting the memorabilia there.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I could only vote for one....and I voted for Peter Frampton.

Last year I voted for Warren Zevon.

I understand the HOF cannot ONLY be for Old-Time Rockers....it HAS to include music for the next generation...and the generaton after that.

I suppose they can manipulate the votes, (If it can be done in a US Presidential Election, it sure as heck can be done by a private museum), but the inductees SHOULD be selected by a vote of the members.

I think they do a pretty good job of getting new inductees, and a FABULOUS job of presenting the memorabilia there.

I went and it was okay. Lots of stage outfits and costumes. I won’t go ever again. What does MJB, and ATCQ have to do with rock, just saying’?

If they are gonna eventually let everyone in, just call it The We Let Anyone In Who Played Or Sang Music Hall Of Hame. The sports Halls don’t let other sports in. Ken Stabler will never be in the Hockey Hall. Rap is not Rock. Go make Rap Hall for those performers an induct them all day long.

When I was there, I got the fan vote on a computer. I voted for UFO and Thin Lizzy because they played rock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I went and it was okay. Lots of stage outfits and costumes. I won’t go ever again. What does MJB, and ATCQ have to do with rock, just saying’?

If they are gonna eventually let everyone in, just call it The We Let Anyone In Who Played Or Sang Music Hall Of Hame. The sports Halls don’t let other sports in. Ken Stabler will never be in the Hockey Hall. Rap is not Rock. Go make Rap Hall for those performers an induct them all day long.

When I was there, I got the fan vote on a computer. I voted for UFO and Thin Lizzy because they played rock.

Yeah, I tend to vote for acts I consider "Rock"....but others  might consider Rap a form of Rock Music....just not me....

but I'm of the generation that will soon be gone....and the museum needs to install acts the younger generations consider "Rock".

The RRHOF lost me, and my attention, years ago. 
The Grammys too. 
Same corporate, clueless kinds of committees. 

I recall seeing Metallica on stage in 1989 at the awards show, playing their A$$E$ off, and killing a live rock performance. 

Moments later, they awarded that years "Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Recording" to Jethro Tull. 

Never paid attention after that. 

(Well, years later, I watched replay on my computer of the evening when ELO finally got inducted into the Hall. But was miffed when they only included the early lineup of Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne, Bev Bevan, and Richard Tandy.  No respect at all for Hugh McDowell, Melvin Gale, Mik Kaminski, or Kelly Groucutt.)

😐

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

The RRHOF lost me, and my attention, years ago. 

I recall seeing Metallica on stage in 1989 at the awards show, playing their A$$E$ off, and killing a live rock performance. 

Moments later, they awarded that years "Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Recording" to Jethro Tull. 

Never paid attention after that. 

(Well, years later, I watched replay on my computer of the evening when ELO finally got inducted into the Hall. But was miffed when they only included the early lineup of Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne, Bev Bevan, and Richard Tandy.  No respect at all for Hugh McDowell, Melvin Gale, Mik Kaminski, or Kelly Groucutt.)

😐

Metallica had 100,000 copies of the album with "Grammy Award Winners" stickers ready to be shipped.

They printed 100,000 stickers that said "Losers" and stuck 'em over the word winners before shipping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I remember that vividly. As I recall, the announcement came as I bent to pick a dogend.

I grew up listening to Tull, and I have always been a big fan. Ian's flute rocking was as unique as it was awesome. When my daughter Alexis decided to play flute in 5th grade, I excitedly played some Tull for her so she could hear what was possible on a flute, beyond the symphony stuff.

At that time, I was ok with Metallica, but I had not listened to much of their music, save for what FM radio overplayed. But what I did know, and what anyone with half a brain should have known, was that Metallica was/is Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and Jethro Tull WAS NOT!!!

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atcq would be a fair choice imo 

they’re not rock but that’s become a moot point to an extent. They took hip hop from “my name is _____ and I’ve got to say” to an actual art form. I am not a rap guy. I hate most modern rap music. Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders are absolute classic timeless albums 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Atcq would be a fair choice imo 

they’re not rock but that’s become a moot point to an extent. They took hip hop from “my name is _____ and I’ve got to say” to an actual art form. I am not a rap guy. I hate most modern rap music. Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders are absolute classic timeless albums 

To quote you “I’m not a rap guy” either. Screaming the F and N word to a backing track is not Rock or even music to ME.

And that’s exactly reason why the name needs to be changed. Take Rock out of there about, cause 50% of the acts in there are no longer rock, or blues where rock came from.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

To quote you “I’m not a rap guy” either. Screaming the F and N word to a backing track is not Rock or even music to ME.

And that’s exactly reason why the name needs to be changed. Take Rock out of there about, cause 50% of the acts in there are no longer rock, or blues where rock came from.

Technically Rhythm & Blues isn't Rock....but Rock wouldn't exist without it.... Rockabilly isn't Rock, but many acts are on the borderline between Rockabilly and Rock.

I said C & W isn't Rock before....and it isn't....but there are quite a few crossover acts.

I think trying to stay with the strict definition of "Rock & Roll" would be difficult.

I do not enjoy Rap....but it's what many of the younger generation prefer...so if you want the HOF to continue, they HAVE to cater to that music also.

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Technically Rhythm & Blues isn't Rock....but Rock wouldn't exist without it.... Rockabilly isn't Rock, but many acts are on the borderline between Rockabilly and Rock.

I said C & W isn't Rock before....and it isn't....but there are quite a few crossover acts.

I think trying to stay with the strict definition of "Rock & Roll" would be difficult.

I do not enjoy Rap....but it's what many of the younger generation prefer...so if you want the HOF to continue, they HAVE to cater to that music also.

Love Miles Davis, he’s in the Hall, but he’s a Jazz musician. His music is great, but it’s Jazz. I guess this concept is just to difficult for some.

• Like 1

Didn’t Dolly Parton try to “bow out” of induction into the RRHOF?  But she was inducted anyway.   My wife really likes Dolly and I can listen to most of her stuff, but she is, and never has been, a R&R performer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Didn’t Dolly Parton try to “bow out” of induction into the RRHOF?  But she was inducted anyway.   My wife really likes Dolly and I can listen to most of her stuff, but she is, and never has been, a R&R performer.

Jolene is killer. I own it on vinyl. I’ve been to the Country Music Hall Of Fame. I demand Yes be inducted. Steve Howe played pedal steel on Going For The One.

I’m on the seemingly never ending task of culling out old VHS tapes. I had/have some good stuff taped from Austin City Limits in the 80s but due to poor planning, most were taped on SLP and 40 years later they are grainy mush with muffled whistly audio. Sad. 

Two of the tapes that got unceremoniously cast into the  “free for the taking” pile were the 2001 VH1 awards and the 2003 Grammys. I scanned through both. 20 years later, Gwen Stefani and Nellie Furtado looked and sounded awkward and forced. I don’t remember anyone on either show that I could define as “classic rock”, either in the up-and-coming group or the has-been group. 

Best to wash that memory. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

She just put out a "huge" rock-n-roll album appropriately called, "Rock Star".  It's one of her biggest selling albums.  Come on man!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Californiaman said:

She just put out a "huge" rock-n-roll album appropriately called, "Rock Star".  It's one of her biggest selling albums.  Come on man!

Didn’t Pat Boone (decked out in black leather) do something similar (covering hard rock and metal) a several years back?  I never listened to it so I could be wrong, but I feel confident that he didn’t magically become accepted as a “rocker” or “metal head.”

Edited by tx-ogre