Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Studio

Nifty

2 hours ago, Nifty said:

I see the price of a Gibson LP Modern Studio is now more than the price of the LP Classic I bought (new) three years ago. 

You have to wonder when this will stop. 

Never. They raise prices and people still buy em. If you don’t want them, don’t buy them, Gibson knows someone will.

• 4 weeks later...

Inflation is a b**ch.  Can't wrap my head around the fact that a new SG Standard is about double what I paid for mine a little more than a decade ago. But here we are. Or I could buy a folding cell phone for the same price that'll be obsolete in two years.

On 5/19/2024 at 8:52 PM, Ceptorman said:

I saw a window sticker on a new Ford F250 a couple weeks ago....103K!

No thanks I’ll keep my Honda Civic Hybrid that gets 46mpg. Oh and it’s been paid off for years.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2024 at 12:34 AM, rcsrich said:

Inflation is a b**ch.  Can't wrap my head around the fact that a new SG Standard is about double what I paid for mine a little more than a decade ago. But here we are. Or I could buy a folding cell phone for the same price that'll be obsolete in two years.

I don't think this is all related to inflation. It's more of a corporate greed. Where I come from, there was inflation last year, what you had in the US was just a breeze of it. 

The price difference between the Moderns Studio and Studio is hard to justify: the ebony fretboard and the "belly cut" does not add up to 600 USD.

2 hours ago, V1ctorius said:

I don't think this is all related to inflation. It's more of a corporate greed. Where I come from, there was inflation last year, what you had in the US was just a breeze of it. 

The price difference between the Moderns Studio and Studio is hard to justify: the ebony fretboard and the "belly cut" does not add up to 600 USD.

You may be right, but you don’t sit in the big comfy leather chair in the office with a view and set prices. A guy named Cesar does. No joke that’s his first name.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/24/2024 at 10:50 AM, Nifty said:

I see the price of a Gibson LP Modern Studio is now more than the price of the LP Classic I bought (new) three years ago. 

You have to wonder when this will stop. 

It won’t so long as people keep buying them. Supply and demand coupled with this inflation crap we have experienced doesn’t help any. Then again, everything across the board has gone up significantly. Merciless ain’t it?

On 6/28/2024 at 9:19 AM, merciful-evans said:

The price increase is commensurate with that of extra virgin olive oil. I still buy EVOL, not so sure about the guitars.

When I started drinking Scotch, 12 YO The Macallen was $30 for a 750 ml bottle. It’s now around $70. And the older stuff is like buying a TM aged guitar.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I started drinking Scotch, 12 YO The Macallen was $30 for a 750 ml bottle. It’s now around $70. And the older stuff is like buying a TM aged guitar.

That's a sobering thought. 

I'm sure Murphy would artificially age Scotch. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's a sobering thought. 

I like fake aged booze as much as I like fake aged guitars . . . Not at all.

On 7/1/2024 at 2:40 PM, merciful-evans said:

About 8 years ago the former mayor of my town opened up a distillery not far from my house. Despite it taking less than a year to build and open the business, somehow on day one they were selling 25 year old "aged" bourbon for over $70.00 per 750ml bottle. Apparently there is an artificial method used to "age" booze faster. In my opinion, the only guaranteed way to age faster, is to get married.

• Haha 1