Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer advice

amyjhill

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, amyjhill said:

I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed when I go to try one! Damn my vertical challenges

Oh no! I was joking Amy. Guitar is fine.

Sgt. Pepper's couch on the other hand... Well, that's a different story. 

Edited by CROWB8
Gods save me. Not capitalizing 'P'epper
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, amyjhill said:

I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed when I go to try one! Damn my vertical challenges

That couch was made by Lazy Boy and was really nice. Other than the color I have no idea why my wife hated it. I had a matching love seat too. 

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Carrying monster cases… That’s what roadies are for.  

Yeah if you have them. Usually, the band are the roadies till you get big, or pay someone to lug that stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah if you have them. Usually, the band are the roadies till you get big, or pay someone to lug that stuff. 

Yeah, remember that sarcasm bit you were mentioning?  😏 In a previous life, I was attached to someone who did have roadies, and I am a bit ashamed to say I made a point of walking into the clubs and being clear that I was not one of them 🙄 Now of course, as a real adult I would pitch in to help 😇

On 5/31/2024 at 6:38 PM, amyjhill said:

I don't think you will. It's a guitar much like any other (albeit a great one). 

On 6/1/2024 at 2:38 AM, amyjhill said:

Damn my vertical challenges

You’ll be fine - Malcolm Young played a White Falcon for a few years that he could have climbed on and rode home!

Only been  to  try one today! Felt great and not too big! It felt really easy to play! I’m gonna start saving and I also need to decide on the colour- not huge on the white!

f616d3d6-e1c0-4767-9fba-3289d265b248.jpeg

• Like 2

Next time you go out make sure you spend considerable time playing it standing up.  It is different from the rest of your guitars for sure.

rct

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, rct said:

Next time you go out make sure you spend considerable time playing it standing up.  It is different from the rest of your guitars for sure.

rct

You bump into a lot of stuff when an Explorer is on a strap. When I got my used one, it was obvious someone hit the back end into a door knob. Nice round indentation. You can't see it in the pic, but I know where it is. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, amyjhill said:

Only been  to  try one today! Felt great and not too big! It felt really easy to play! I’m gonna start saving and I also need to decide on the colour- not huge on the white!

Good for you!  I'm glad you didn't express concern for "how it makes you look".  The sign of a real musician and not a narcissist.

6 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Yes, very important as it is very different! 

On 6/8/2024 at 4:31 PM, amyjhill said:

Looking very natural. Glad you like it.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:28 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

You bump into a lot of stuff when an Explorer is on a strap. When I got my used one, it was obvious someone hit the back end into a door knob. 

Them pointy bits invite collision. They need tennis balls stuck on the ends. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 2:14 AM, amyjhill said:

Hi

I’m looking at getting some advice. I’ve been playing guitar for almost 18 months and I have a Fender Strat, Jaguar and Telecaster.

I have been looking at the Gibson Explorer but I’m only short (5’1) and I don’t know if they are too big. 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Amy. 

First off, for full disclosure, I am extremely biased when it comes to Gibson Explorers. My first electric guitar was/is a 1983 Custom Shop Edition Korina Explorer. It is still the absolute best guitar I have ever played. Even before I had it professionally set up, it played like butter. It is also the most versatile I own, and is capable of playing blues/jazz just as well as it plays metal, grunge, and rock. It is capable of producing deep warm tones and bright, crisp, edgy tones simply by adjusting the tone knob, the volume knob per each pickup, and choosing the appropriate pickup(s) via the three way selector. It functions equally well as a lead guitar as well as a rhythm guitar. It sustains for days, stays in tune, and can achieve the lowest fully functional action of any guitar I own. It can sound like an ES-335 one minute, and a screaming SG the next minute. Mine is quite heavy, at around 14 pounds. But, the 4 other Explorers I have ever played, mine is by far the heaviest. The 4 other Explorers I played were Standards, and were not made of Korina wood, so that may be the difference. Explorers are much longer than any other guitar, so moving around with one strapped to you takes a bit to get used to. Oh, and defiantly buy a wide strap, like a bass strap, to spread out the load. Also, regarding straps for Explorers, be very aware of the neck strap "button" on older Explorers. My '83 had the neck strap button on the slanted edge/side of the guitar just above the neck, and not on the back of the guitar. Due to it's weird mounting angle, combined with where the strap naturally rest on your left shoulder, the straps will always pull out of the neck button simply based on the weight of the guitar. I fixed this issue with an oversized neck strap button, but a locking strap connector, or a set of D'Addario dual lock strap locks (no guitar mod needed) will fix that. Anyone who suggested that the Explorer is subject to "neck dive" issues, must have owed/played one with a different neck button location, presumably on the back of the guitar. I have never experienced that issue with my Explorer, but I defiantly have with my '87 Gibson SG Special. The weight of the elongated rear upper "fin" on the Explorer provides a perfect counter balance to the long hockey stick neck. I can't imagine that your height will be an issue regarding the Explorer. The Explorer is quite comfortable to play while seated, as long as you are sitting in a chair that does not have large arm rests, especially on your right side. Be sure to buy a guitar stand that has a base that swivels to accommodate the large angular rear end of the Explorer, and make sure that the base sits high enough above the ground to allow the guitar to rest without touching the ground. Yes, Explorer cases are bigger than most bass cases, and they tend to add even more weight to an already heavy guitar. I have been forced to transport mine in an upright position in the passenger seat of a few of the compact cars I have owned, (one end on the floor board and the other near the roof of the car.) Feel free to ask me anything else about the Explorer that I may not have covered. BTW, a brand new white Explorer will turn into cream or yellowish over time.

HD4m8cl.jpgEQaq0gB.jpg