Gibson Brands Forums

Buying from Wildwood - Recommendations, opinions, testimonials?

kidblast

I'm retiring from my position as of Friday June 28th.

I'm considering as a retirement gift to myself, probably my last big purchase regarding a USA Gibson.   Have my mind set on a 50's standard gold top.

I am not in a rush to make a purchase, but I'm definitely doing this

I usually just talk to the same person at Sweetwater since 2008.  I trust him and I trust them.   They've been nothing but exemplary in terms of service and support.

I see at this time they do not have any new 50's Gold Tops in stock with a note that they are on back order with extra-long delivery times.

They do have a demo that has a few blems I'm not object to considering it.

However Wildwood has 5 or 6 brand new, in stock ready to roll. One in particular has my eye.

What's the consensus on these guys?  I know a lot of people buy from them and they seem to be top notch.

30 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have nothing to add other that congrats on retiring. That's a nice gift to yourself.

thanks Ceptor  47 years in IT, I guess it had to end sometime and now seems right.

and after approval from the Finance committee, I'm just finding a place now to do the "Add to cart" dance.

Sweetwater is the go-to for me, but they don't have any in stock

I've never heard anything bad about dealing with Wildwood.

I don't mean to brag but mine came from Guitar Center.  My salesperson is somebody I'd never met before and I have never heard from since.

Aside from the allure of dealing with a faceless stranger over the internet, I think it was one that got stuck in the back and forgotten about with the price never increasing.  

They have a really big, fat effin neck on them, just so you know.  Gibson Lucille type big fat effin neck size, maybe even a bit more so I hope you have big hands.

Edited by SteveFord

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I've never heard anything bad about dealing with Wildwood.

I don't mean to brag but mine came from Guitar Center.  My salesperson is somebody I'd never met before and I have never heard from since.

Aside from the allure of dealing with a faceless stranger over the internet, I think it was one that got stuck in the back and forgotten about with the price never increasing.  

They have a really big, fat effin neck on them, just so you know.  Gibson Lucille type big fat effin neck size, maybe even a bit more so I hope you have big hands.

Thanks Steve,   Neck profile is the one thing I've wondered about,   I have a '95 with a 50s neck, I'm ok with it, but I think I wont know till I play one.  I know Gibson necks are inconsistent.

I will probably take a ride out to one of the GCs before I make any final decisions.  If they have something that doesn't look used and abused, maybe that's what I will do

15 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Nice, enjoy your retirement  and your new guitar when you get it[thumbup]

Thanks Ian!  Getting to the finish line is a big deal.  47 years working in IT organizations.  I've had enough.  But still a hard decision to make. 

The next chapter is something I'm looking forward to.

• Like 1

I think mine is a 2019, that neck is really stout from one end to the other, there's not much in the way of taper.

Weighs a ton, too.

You get used to it and the sound - you'll like your purchase.

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I think mine is a 2019, that neck is really stout from one end to the other, there's not much in the way of taper.

Weighs a ton, too.

You get used to it and the sound - you'll like your purchase.

Thanks for the feedback Steve,  very helpful at this time

This one I'm eyeballing is just over 9lbs  I don't mind the weight, my 95 is 11lbs.  It's a total sledgehammer.  I love the thing

I know the game with Gibson, even though the profile is the necks are different from one to another IME  a little bit goes a long way.

It's looking like its Guitar safari time.  There's a GC about 40 min away that has 50s LPS and one is a Gold Top

So that's where I'm heading just to window shop at minimum

15 hours ago, kidblast said:

This one I'm eyeballing is just over 9lbs  I don't mind the weight, my 95 is 11lbs.  It's a total sledgehammer.  I love the thing . . .

Wow! My 2019 '50's Standard is 10lbs even and I find it to be a bit heavy. Sounds great though - I play it sitting down most of the time.

34 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Wow! My 2019 '50's Standard is 10lbs even and I find it to be a bit heavy. Sounds great though - I play it sitting down most of the time.

Yea she's a load!

A wide thick padded strap helps quite a bit. 

I've had it since Aug. 95, I've grown quite accustomed to it. 

• Like 1

Hi Kidblast,

Back to your original question; Wildwood is great and I highly recommend them. Like you I live in MA but my daughter and grandkids live in CO and I've been to Wildwood a few times and have purchased from them. They are extremely knowledgable to the point if you can convey what you are looking for, they can likely help you out, especially with neck profiles. They have lots of great inventory and seem to be able to get the cream of the crop from Gibson. 

That said, have you checked out the Manchester Music Mill in NH? I just looked on their site and they have a 50's Std Goldtop for $2799. They are also great folks and no sales tax in NH. About 3 years ago a friend recommended them. I was looking for a high end, rest of life acoustic and I really liked the Taylor 816CE Builder's Edition. I went up there to try one and fell in love with it. I was talking with the guy in the acoustic room and he asked if I had ever bought from them previously and I told him no, it was my first visit. He told me that first time in person buyers get 10% off their first order. I asked, even this $4000 Taylor and he said yes. I bought it and am very happy with my purchase. Might be worth the drive up if you want to play one in person.

Good luck in your quest,

JO'C

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JO'C said:

Hi Kidblast,

Back to your original question; Wildwood is great and I highly recommend them. Like you I live in MA but my daughter and grandkids live in CO and I've been to Wildwood a few times and have purchased from them. They are extremely knowledgable to the point if you can convey what you are looking for, they can likely help you out, especially with neck profiles. They have lots of great inventory and seem to be able to get the cream of the crop from Gibson. 

That said, have you checked out the Manchester Music Mill in NH? I just looked on their site and they have a 50's Std Goldtop for $2799. They are also great folks and no sales tax in NH. About 3 years ago a friend recommended them. I was looking for a high end, rest of life acoustic and I really liked the Taylor 816CE Builder's Edition. I went up there to try one and fell in love with it. I was talking with the guy in the acoustic room and he asked if I had ever bought from them previously and I told him no, it was my first visit. He told me that first time in person buyers get 10% off their first order. I asked, even this $4000 Taylor and he said yes. I bought it and am very happy with my purchase. Might be worth the drive up if you want to play one in person.

Good luck in your quest,

JO'C

Actually the Music Mill was on the list of places for a guitar safari.  Its about 50 minutes from the house.

I think about taking a ride up tomorrow or Wednesday.

Posted (edited)

Just coming back to closure here.

Neck profile issues were worked out.  No issues there.

I was put in contact with Lance Bowzer from Wildwood per referral from a friend who had a 50s standard that he in fact got from Wildwood.

Long story short, he was extremely helpful, professional and just a pleasure to work with.

I already had one kind of picked out.  This should arrive sometime Friday afternoon

geMREfd.jpeg

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

Congrats! I know Lance and Bruce. Both have treated me fine over the years and are extremely knowledgeable. Enjoy!

Gibson Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mi Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mill! Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mill!

There will be Special Pricing on all new gear from Gibson and all the other Gibson Family Brand

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JO'C said:

Congrats! I know Lance and Bruce. Both have treated me fine over the years and are extremely knowledgeable. Enjoy!

Gibson Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mi Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mill! Day is Saturday June 22nd at Manchester Music Mill!

There will be Special Pricing on all new gear from Gibson and all the other Gibson Family Brand

Lance was great.  I called him yesterday, he answered the phone immediately and took care of bizz in a matter of moments on what I'd called for.

topshelf!

14 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@kidblast congrats on retirement! Hope the guitar is everything you expect. Wildwood is a great place from everything I have heard - top notch. 

Thanks Chris!  I was really thrilled with how responsive this guy was.  So far, so good.  I don't have it yet tho,  tomorrow I think

17 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Looks nice.

I was thinking 50s Gold Top with white single coils, that's what I've got with the big neck.

I do like Gibson P90s  I have an SG Classic with a set of those.  But for the LP,  I  was more set on going with the buckers.  

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

There's a different sound with the Gold Top compared to the SG , LP Special or Firebird Studio, it must be the maple cap.

It's very distinctive.

Can't go wrong either way, though.

Yep!

Tt's the same with the SG/Les Paul with the same pickups

I know because I have the same PUPs in my Paul as I do in my SG Standard.  They do not sound at all alike. The SG is darker, the Paul has a top end snap that is not present in the SG.