Gibson Brands Forums

The J-45s - here we go

E-minor7

Not seldom have we talked about 45s and the many variations of that legendary model. Late member owf made a list of them all - I personally updated it and often claimed the J-45 is so many things comin' from that same slope hog source.

Just found a video that underlines it - 12 versions on a string.                 

Explore & Enjoy

I would love to know what strings were used. My Gibsons have much of this raw sound when they’re a bit dry. I humidified the heck out of my new Banner arrival and lost some of that edgy sound. Have to find out what it likes. All of these J-45s would be be welcome on my rack. 

I am very, very wrapped up in 45 land. I have been for a good fifteen years now; I’ve owned so many, and I’m glad I have.

I very much recognize  quite a few of the tones in this video. I know well the 60s sdj bridge sound (finally), and I know the True Vintage and Vintage tones. I especially know and miss my 2018 All hog 45.

My partner and I rehearsed for a few hours earlier this evening. He played my Standard and I played my 60s Original J50. Man what a joy, and how blessed I am with regard to my guitar travels.

For what it’s worth, while I have used EJ16 and Elixirs forever on my Gibsons, My new favorite tone is the Martin Lifespan PB lights. But the old school ones… with the brass B and E.

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, duluthdan said:

I would love to know what strings were used. My Gibsons have much of this raw sound when they’re a bit dry. I humidified the heck out of my new Banner arrival and lost some of that edgy sound. Have to find out what it likes. All of these J-45s would be be welcome on my rack. 

From reading the comments below the film the choice of strings vary. But those on the J-45 Vintage (2019) is Vintage Bronze 012 gauge from GHS.

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

From reading the comments below the film the choice of strings vary. But those on the J-45 Vintage (2019) is Vintage Bronze 012 gauge from GHS.

I know he wrote '12's, but listening to that section made me wonder if he used the Bluegrass version of the 12's  (12-16-26-36-46-56)  instead of the lights (12-16-24-32-42-54) . Mighty big bottom end tone.

Thanks for sharing this.  

Re the recording techniques.  I would expect, even though it is processed sound, they aren’t tweaking the individual clips.  I’m sure they are all being fed through the same set up/settings.  So what we can say is this how each of these guitars sound run through this particular studio configuration.  In which case, the differences discerned are real differences stemming from the instruments themselves.  

I’m finding this very very helpful, since I’ve been totally lost in my seemingly endless, scattershot, J-45 search, chuckle.  At least it gives me a starting point of which ones are hitting with me. 

Edited by PrairieDog

34 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Thanks for sharing this.  

Re the recording techniques.  I would expect, even though it is processed sound, they aren’t tweaking the individual clips.  I’m sure they are all being fed through the same set up/settings.  So what we can say is this how each of these guitars sound run through this particular studio configuration.  In which case, the differences discerned are real differences stemming from the instruments themselves. 

Kind of sometimes. Most of them make claims of at least some level of consistency. They do differ sometimes. For a good example, use some good headphones and listen to the audio starting at 12:35 up to about 12:55. The evidence of something is different should be obvious.

• Like 1

I’m not saying they aren’t great Guitars. They are.

But, In reality the guy playing in the Acoustic Room at the Music Store recording directly into his iPhone is more realistic. 

Edited by Larsongs

4 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Kind of sometimes. Most of them make claims of at least some level of consistency. They do differ sometimes. For a good example, use some good headphones and listen to the audio starting at 12:35 up to about 12:55. The evidence of something is different should be obvious.

I don’t have any headphones, but they should sound different, that time span goes over two different guitars. 

23 minutes ago, Dave F said:

What in the hurl is a 1930 J45 Banner (2017)?

This should be a decent reply - 

Sound and looks stellar ^

15 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

This should be a decent reply - 

Sound and looks stellar ^

Then again there is discussion in the comments. 

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Yeis - it's about (dark) burst. [thumbup]

Interesting video, not a bad sound among them. To my ears, the more vintage inspired the model, the drier and clearer the tone. The more modern models have a warmer more embracing sound. Of course the all hog is its own wonderful creature.

Lars

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Japan gets all the good stuff, and they have the $ to buy it. I loved living there. 

I had a brother-in-law in the Navy during the Vietnam conflict and he was living with his then wife (an Eskimo) in Japan whenever he wasn't out on the ship. He really liked it and sent home a lot of nice Sansui electronics.

Just now, Dave F said:

I had a brother-in-law in the Navy during the Vietnam conflict and he was living with his then wife (an Eskimo) in Japan whenever he wasn't out on the ship. He really liked it and sent home a lot of nice Sansui electronics.

I lived on Yokosuka. 40 mins from Tokyo on the train. The Navy took me there. I bought most of my really nice stereo equipment at the exchange.

I wish I could play like that guy! They all sounded good in his hands! I always get a kick when a really good player comes over and plays one of mine and I can hear all the potential I'm not skilled enough to unlock. Maybe one day...

Especially loved the Legend. 

Red 333

• Like 2