Gibson Brands Forums

Lead Guitar

ics1974

I know this is not Gibson specific but I hope I can get some advice from you pros out there.

I am still pretty much a beginner as I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now.

I started looking into guitar theory a little. Is it necessary to learn all those scales and modes for lead guitar or is there an easier way? If you need to know theory...What scales/modes do you find most important and use on a regular basis?

Edit

BTW I am mostly into Rock, Metal and Blues

Thanks

I know this is not Gibson specific but I hope I can get some advice from you pros out there.

I am still pretty much a beginner as I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now.

I started looking into guitar theory a little. Is it necessary to learn all those scales and modes for lead guitar or is there an easier way? If you need to know theory...What scales/modes do you find most important and use on a regular basis?

Edit

BTW I am mostly into Rock, Metal and Blues

Thanks [/quote

Buy Fresh Cream, best advice I ever got

Learn your scales, learn your chords, Learn what a Key is, learn about time signatures, Learn Note Value (Seriously, this is overlooked by a huge number of Minor League guitarists), and learn what the drummer is doing. He's not just banging the cool sounds in the back, he's keeping the beat, learn how to play on the beat.

There is no Short Cut! Memorizing tablature, or memorizing where to put your fingers is the Long Way Around.

I'm not saying you have to be able to read and write music, but a general understanding of theory is Vital to a healthy, happy life of playing along with records and jamming with friends.

Learning the major scale is helpful and learn all forms - what like 5 different forms.

They all fit together like a puzzle to cover the entire fret board (repeat after the 12th fret). So if you know and can find one scale you should know the next one in line so forth.

You also need to know that they are movable - for example you may play scale form/shape X on the 5th fret and it is in the key of C. If you move that same scale form/shape up two frets now you're in the key of D and so forth.

Also learning the pentetonics that go with the major scales is helpful especially for Rock & Blues. They are really just the major scale with 2 less notes.

EDIT: Also learn where the tonic is for each scale form/shape (the tonic tells what key you are playing)

Thanks for all the advice guys. Do you recommend the pentatonic as my first scale to learn or should I start with the major scale? I know what and how the major scale works I just havn't memorized the positions on the fretboard yet.

Same with the pentatonic

i don't know chords or scales

this is my solo on 2012, it starts at 2:24

and i play the solo in the other song, both entire songs written by me as well

i just couldn't retain all the chords. i do know one scale, the pentatonic and that's it. feeling is my theory

if you can grasp it, more power to you, but always remember that music is all about feeling

Archived