Gibson Brands Forums

Show your modded Gibson guitars!

DaHooomie

No heavy mods but...

Removed the pickup covers and put a black pickup switch on it (orange one was ugly):

lp1.jpg

Changed the pickup cover from a crummy looking one with a matte finish one that looks like the original. Replaced the ABR-1 bridge with a wire over the saddles to a modern Nashville bridge; did want to change the post so I had the Nashville modified to fit over the stock posts:

sgj1.jpg

No heavy mods but...

Removed the pickup covers and put a black pickup switch on it (orange one was ugly):

Changed the pickup cover from a crummy looking one with a matte finish one that looks like the original. Replaced the ABR-1 bridge with a wire over the saddles to a modern Nashville bridge; did want to change the post so I had the Nashville modified to fit over the stock posts:

I like the mods, Rich, at least the ones I can see. Nice looking guitars. Explain, please, to one who doesn't know, what the advantage of the Nashville bridge is over the ABR-1. Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

here is my Explorer, I added pickup covers, changed the wiring from 2 Volume/1 Tone to 1 Volume/2 Tone, the Volume pot is a 500k superpot from RS Guitarworks. I also replaced the caps for oil caps from Mojo and I replaced the speed knobs with witch hat knobs.

Guitars108.jpg

First mod was the tp-6 bridge... I took it off when I installed covers because it was chrome and everything else was nickel... (Gibson, please make them in nickel!).

5.jpg

More mods (pickup covers, switchtip, knobs) before (right) and after (left) shots:

guitarras.jpg

I like the mods' date=' Rich, at least the ones I can see. Nice looking guitars. Explain, please, to one who doesn't know, what the advantage of the Nashville bridge is over the ABR-1. Or is it just a matter of personal preference?[/quote']

The wire that ran across the tops of the saddles was rattling and driving me insane. I did a bunch of research for other fixes including bending the wire to tighten it but nothing worked so that's why I changed it to a Nashville.

The wire that ran across the tops of the saddles was rattling and driving me insane. I did a bunch of research for other fixes including bending the wire to tighten it but nothing worked so that's why I changed it to a Nashville.

Hmm...I've never had that problem with the bridge. You know you can replace that wire? Just use a "G" string and cut to fit. I did that with one of my V's and it's really snug.

The changes that I made to my 82 Les Paul Standard

1)Change the pots and caps. Matched guitar Pot and Mojo Tone Vitamin T Paper in Oil (Although I am going to try either Vitamin Q or Luxe)

2)Change the Bridge and Tailpiece to Tone Pro (TP6 and the Aluminum Tailpiece)

3)Change pickup selector to one with braided shield wire that I got at RS (I also have the cloth wire from Mojotone)

4)Change the Tuning keys from the ones Gibson put on to Grover Keystone Press in Bushing (Yeah I know I'm nuts for doing that, but it has made a huge improvement in tone along with above mention).

Hmm...I've never had that problem with the bridge. You know you can replace that wire? Just use a "G" string and cut to fit. I did that with one of my V's and it's really snug.

I had just plain had it with the thing. Replacing it altogether was the best mod I've ever made to a guitar. Before I did that' date=' the thing was unplayable to me. The picture I posted is from around a year ago and that guitar was built in 1991; that should give you an idea of how little I played it just because it pissed me off.

OK I am missing something here, what wire? The Strings?

There is a wire that runs across the adjustment screws of the bridge saddles and it rattled whenever I played the guitar.

Gibson ABR-1 bridge

31A43JZHZEL.jpg

Archived