Gibson Brands Forums

4x10 Cabs/Combos

KSG_Standard

I have a Marshall 4X12 cab and a 2X12. Since my old drummer was a def moron I used the 2X12 cab as a monitor and sat it pretty much next to him at ear level. I had them both plugged into my 800 head. Since my new drummer is good, and not a deaf moron, for practice I've only been plugging into the 2X12 positioned where it was before. I think because it's elevated it fills our practice space just the same to be honest and I really don't hear a difference in tonal quality at all. I'd say to go and check out a 2X12 extension cab for the hell of it to see what you think.

You know Music Man are the only cabinets that come to mind that have four 10s. I'm sure there are others. But having heard Johnny Winter using the MM I'm more inclined to praise an amp and 410 cabinet set-up.

I know the Fender VibroKing comes with a 410 combination too and a lot of people truly love that amp. My main concern was that it was loud.

You know what makes a big difference in the perceived volume level (perceived by you) ?? Height.

MY 2x12 used to sit on the floor. Had to really krank it to hear myself. Put it up on a milk crate, woah, much better ... can actually hear myself but still fairly kranked. Next up, 2 milk crates stacked and OMG! I went from having the volume set to 4 o'clock down to 10 o'clock (15 watt amp). And it was still very loud. I think a crate and a half would be ideal, for my size.

just saying ...

Thanks for the input folks! The reason I asked the question, is that I am looking at buying another Mesa Blue Angel. I already have a Blue Angel 1x12 but I can pick up a really nice BA in a 4x10 combo and I'm trying to figure out what it might sound like...I won't have any opportunity to play it before purchasing it.

You know Music Man are the only cabinets that come to mind that have four 10s. I'm sure there are others. But having heard Johnny Winter using the MM I'm more inclined to praise an amp and 410 cabinet set-up.

Marshall has made 4X10 and 2X10 Cabinets' date=' they're just tough to find and a lot of stores won't stock them. If they do they can cost more than the 12's just because they need to special order them in.

The exact reason why I own two of those combo amp stage mounts; maybe not what they are actually called. They will hold a combo amp or speaker cab 2.5 off the ground at a angle so the sound is directed to your ears. Wonderful thing and look better than Borden Milk Crates; lol

23813.jpg

That's an amp stand :P

Thanks for the input folks! The reason I asked the question' date=' is that I am looking at buying another Mesa Blue Angel. I already have a Blue Angel 1x12 but I can pick up a really nice BA in a 4x10 combo and I'm trying to figure out what it might sound like...I won't have any opportunity to play it before purchasing it.

[/quote']

I'm thinking that would be sweet. Never saw one, except pictures. My Blue Angel is a 1;12 with a V30, that sits on a flight case at gigs.

My Prosonic has 2;10's (Fender Custom Shop Celestions) and is a killer rig, but not as "sweet" as the Blue Angel.

When Peavey first came out with the Classic 50 head, it had a 4;10 cab, and with the EL84's, they were a nice rig. They also made a 4;10 combo. They might still. They've moved so much production to China, they've lost all my respect.

I'd buy it without hearing it, if I wanted to move it around..............

:)

Best to ya.

Typo possibility?

No not at all.

I own a Fender Custom Shop Master Built Two-tone Amplifier. It's essentially a 15 watt Blues Jr. in a larger' date=' solid pine cabinet with a 10 inch speaker and a 12 inch speaker.

It sounds incredible. There are two 12AX7 and two EL84s, the rectifier is solid state.

[img']http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj438/Californiaman5/100_0312.jpg[/img]

I used to play through a 4x10 open-back. I can't recall the make or model, just that it sounded killer with reverb. As it's been said, the mids tend to pop a little more. For whatever reason, it made overdrive sound a little tighter, and reverb units had a more percussive sound, if that makes any sense. I liked the sound, but it was a heavy mofo.

I have a ampeg 8x10 and GK 4x10.

I love my highend treble warm tone.

I have played through 1x15's and 1x12's (Bass Amps)' date=' most of them sound like water going through mud.[/quote']

Yep you can't beat'em for bass nice and tight.

The guy wants $800 for it' date=' one just sold on ebay for $850...I'm thinking about it real hard Murph, it's either this BA or I will buy one of the new Electra Dyne amps...tough decision.:-k [/quote']

Darn right, that's tough. If it was local, I'd buy it NOW for $800.00, just because the BA is so cool, and will never be built again, and the 4;10 makes it even more rare.

I know you've been gassin' for the Electra Dyne, and it looks cool too.

Best to ya, whatever you do.

Murph.

Archived