Gibson Brands Forums

Stop Global Warming - CBS News....

NeoConMan

The enlightened media elite in New York City have the answer!

CBS: Paint Roofs and Roads White to Stop Global Warming

On Thursday’s CBS Early Show, co-host Julie Chen teased an upcoming segment on a new way to combat global warming: "Up next, if you could do one thing to fight global warming, would you do it? How about painting your roof white? We’ll explain." Fill-in co-host Chris Wragge later introduced the report: "Could painting your roof white be the best defense against global warming? Some very important people think so. So Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman put that idea to the test."

Kauffman explained: "In any given city, most rooftops are black. And that's the problem. The darker the surface, the more heat it retains...the lighter the surface, the better it is for the environment." Kauffman talked to Bill Nye, ‘The Science Guy,’ who further explained: "The building doesn't get as hot so you don't need to run the air conditioner nearly as long."

Later, Kauffman cited Obama Energy Secretary Steven Chu: "[he] says if all rooftops and roads in the world were made white it could combat global warming." A clip was played of Chu claiming: "That would be the equivalent as if you took off all the automobiles of the world for eleven years." Kauffman added: "Think of it this way, every year you would keep out of the atmosphere 2.4 billion tons of carbon dioxide or the emissions produced by 60 million cars. There’d be even more savings if roads and parking lots were not covered in black asphalt." Nye declared that asphalt was: "...absorbing more heat...squandering billions of tons of carbon dioxide every year."

Wragge and fellow co-host Maggie Rodriguez acknowledged the humor in calling for all roofs and roads in the world to be painted white. Rodriguez remarked: "I hear Benjamin Moore is thrilled with the idea. Thinks it's phenomenal. We should definitely do it." Wragge added: "Home Depot’s like, ‘this is going to be great for us!’"

Here is the full transcript of the May 28 segment:

7:10AM TEASE:

CHRIS WRAGGE: Plus, we're going to tell you why white may be the new green when it comes to the color of your roof.

7:19AM TEASE:

JULIE CHEN: Up next, if you could do one thing to fight global warming, would you do it? How about painting your roof white? We’ll explain.

7:22AM SEGMENT:

CHRIS WRAGGE: Could painting your roof white be the best defense against global warming? Some very important people think so. So Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman put that idea to the test.

HATTIE KAUFFMAN: In any given city, most rooftops are black. And that's the problem. The darker the surface, the more heat it retains. So here we are, on the roof of CBS Television City. Bill Nye, ‘The Science Guy,’ used a meter to demonstrate the lighter the surface, the better it is for the environment.

BILL NYE: This goes up nearly to 50 over this silver surface.

KAUFFMAN: Okay.

NYE: Then if we – if we look at the other side of this --

KAUFFMAN: Black, which many rooftops are.

NYE: And streets, asphalt, then it goes down below 5.

KAUFFMAN: Whoa. Why does that matter?

NYE: The building doesn't get as hot so you don't need to run the air conditioner nearly as long. So if you do that-

KAUFFMAN: If it's white.

NYE: -everywhere. If it's light.

KAUFFMAN: Here's a shining example, the white-painted villages in Greece. Turns out they were ahead of their time. Energy Secretary Steven Chu says if all rooftops and roads in the world were made white it could combat global warming.

STEVEN CHU: That would be the equivalent as if you took off all the automobiles of the world for eleven years.

KAUFFMAN: Think of it this way, every year you would keep out of the atmosphere 2.4 billion tons of carbon dioxide or the emissions produced by 60 million cars. There’d be even more savings if roads and parking lots were not covered in black asphalt.

NYE: So the same needle says just 2 ½.

KAUFFMAN: Which means what?

NYE: Which means it's absorbing more heat, keeping the city warmer. It's squandering billions of tons of carbon dioxide every year.

KAUFFMAN: Hattie Kauffman, CBS News, Los Angeles.

WRAGGE: In theory, sounds like a great idea.

MAGGIE RODRIGUEZ: Yeah.

WRAGGE: You need a lot of white paint.

RODRIGUEZ: I hear Benjamin Moore is thrilled with the idea. Thinks it's phenomenal. We should definitely do it.

WRAGGE: Home Depot’s like, ‘this is going to be great for us!’

RODRIGUEZ: I know.

Algore invented the internet, and global warming...Obonga and Pelowsi are going to use global warming to tax whats left of American manufacturing into moving their factories and jobs to the third world....we won't have jobs here in America, but we will have government controlled heathcare....Yeah!

Just a personal note of thanks to all of you that voted for Obonga and the rest of the progressives/liberals!

Algore invented the internet' date=' and global warming...Obonga and Pelowsi are going to use global warming to tax whats left of American manufacturing into moving their factories and jobs to the third world....we won't have jobs here in America, but we will have government controlled heathcare....Yeah!

Just a personal note of thanks to all of you that voted for Obonga and the rest of the progressives/liberals![/quote']

Would you like some eggs with those biscuits?

Ohhh. I know what this is. Its the thing oxycontin man says is a myth.

Sorry? I can't hear you my intestines have backed up into my ears. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop snorting hillbilly heroin.

Sorry? I can't hear you my intestines have backed up into my ears. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop snorting hillbilly heroin.

You should untie the other half of you brain you have behind your back....your gonna need it.

Whether or not we are contributing to global warming is obviously still up to debate, even though the vast majority of studies in peer reviewed publications point to the fact that we are.

However, the way I see it, reducing pollution is a good thing even if we aren't causing the warming, and burning fossil fuels causes pollution so we should be conservative in our uses of them along with other polluting agents. It just makes good sense to use what you need to use, but not to waste if the effect of wasting results in pollution of the environment.

I have a white roof, and have always had one. When I grew up in South Florida, white roofs were the norm, because most houses did not have air conditioning. It was a way to keep the inside temperature of the house comfortable.

If you do have air conditioning, a white roof may cut your AC bills down markedly along with your pollution index, and IMHO that can't be a bad thing even if you don't believe in man's contribution to global warming. After all, what sane person argues FOR pollution.

I now live in a house that was built in 1950 about 300' from the east coast of the mainland of South Florida. The house was built to take advantage of the ocean breezes, the roof is white and I hardly ever run the air conditioner.

In fact, the last time I had the roof done, I had it coated with polyurethane foam (the same foam that covers the space shuttle tank), painted it with white elastomeric, and when it is 100 degrees F outside, it is still a comfortable 82 or so inside without air conditioning.

Since our electricity is powered by a nuke plant, it makes no difference to pollution or global warming, but it sure saves me a lot of money. I run the AC a couple of hours per year just so it doesn't freeze up from lack of use. Actually, I prefer the fresh air flowing through my house to the recycled AC air anyway. So not only does it save me money, but it keeps me in my own comfort zone.

Notes

I guess if you just turn your brain off like these bozo's obviously have you don't have to be bother with that pesky little task of thinking for yourself.

Moron's

I just bet Benjamin Moore and the Home Depot like it. Was probably their idea ...

I guess if you just turn your brain off like these bozo's obviously have you don't have to be bother with that pesky little task of thinking for yourself.

I think you meant to say only thinking of yourself, right?

ostrich_head_sand.jpg

Global climate change? What global climate change?

The question isn't global climate change, it's whether or not it is caused by man or it's a natural process. Very few if any of the man made global warming nut's predictions have come true...in fact the earth is COOLING now and the treehuggers had to revise their ideas to show a "brief" cooling period of several years before the climate starts heating up again...ROFLMAO!

IMHO, People that believe in Man Made Global Warming are the worst kind of Sheeple.

Global warming does not exist! Nope. And the world is flat' date=' the sun revolves around the earth, and George Bush was a Rhodes Scholar.

It's amazing how the Right continues to live in its little pre-constructed trailer park of fantasy.[/quote']

Eye'm not on the right.

Archived