Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan/McCartney

EdgarHF

UK rag The Daily Express reports:

Just weeks after Bob Dylan announced he wanted to collaborate with fellow legend Sir Paul McCartney, moves are afoot to bring the two superstars together.

Industry insiders say Macca is set to team up with Dylan in California over the summer, where the pair are expected to work on new songs as a duo.

The news comes after Dylan declared this month that he found the idea of working with the former Beatle “exciting”.

McCartney’s spokesman then declared their man would be “very interested” in a collaboration.

“Paul has a home in California not too far from Bob’s so the idea is for the two to meet when Paul is in California over the summer,” says a well-placed mole.

Maybe they'll compare diaper brands - fit and finish' date=' modern vs vintage, action, the heady aroma emanating from...

Oops, I meant compare guitars... . . . :-

Why don't you YouTube some of McCartney's 2 1/2 hour, headlining performance at the Coachella festival this spring and THEN report on what an old man he is.

Red 333

Point of history: Dylan turned the Beatles on to their first marijuana, in a hotel room, and was a bit shocked to find they were completely naive about pot. He had misinterpreted some of their song lyrics to indicate they were hip to recreational drugs. (They had already been virtually surviving on amphetimines for years, starting with their frenetic Hamburg days and continuing through their whirwind tours and sessions. But these were considered the price of burning the candle at both ends, not for experimentation.)

Why don't you YouTube some of McCartney's 2 1/2 hour' date=' headlining performance at the Coachella festival this spring and THEN report on what an old man he is. Red 333[/quote']

Nice . . . . . . We're just having some laughs. I'm a Macca fan. =P~

Let's see . . . June 18 he's 67. Still good for an old guy. About that time Les Paul will be turning 94 - no matter how you cut it Red, that's really old - but he's still playing. I'm hoping I'll be as well.

Could be magical jam.

They could examine each others bus passes!

By the way, Mr Dylan lives just 30 miles away from me as he bought a house in a neighbouring village (called Boat of Garten) a couple of years ago.

I've not seen him in the village shop yet.

Point of history: Dylan turned the Beatles on to their first marijuana' date=' in a hotel room, and was a bit shocked to find they were completely naive about pot. He had misinterpreted some of their song lyrics to indicate they were hip to recreational drugs. (They had already been virtually surviving on amphetimines for years, starting with their frenetic Hamburg days and continuing through their whirwind tours and sessions. But these were considered the price of burning the candle at both ends, not for experimentation.)

really it was dylan? i didnt knew it.. these simple english boyzz didnt knew about it!!!! really shocking for me!

I think it's time they should both RETIRE!

Agreed. Don't get me wrong. I loved Dylan (Pre-1977) and Paul was ok when teamed with those other dudes. But Macca hasn't had a good solo song since ... uhhh ... "Maybe I'm Amazed".

Let's face it: they are no longer relevant and they just take away resources from those who are.

You guys want fresh folk/rock? Try Iron & Wine or M. Ward or Neko Case or Bon Iver or Ray Lamontagne or Amos Lee or Ben Kweller or Conor Obest or Damien Rice or Fleet Foxes or the Decembrists or ...

You guys want fresh folk/rock? Try Iron & Wine or M. Ward or Neko Case or Bon Iver or Ray Lamontagne or Amos Lee or Ben Kweller or Conor Obest or Damien Rice or Fleet Foxes or the Decembrists or ...

I agree that all those artists are producing good work (Conor and Neko are favorites of mine, especally. Middle Cyclones is probably Neko's best so far.), but "Electric Arguments," 66-year old McCartney's collaboration with producer youth as The Fireman, blows them all out of the water. It's revelatory, celebatory, inventive, fun, and fresh. It may be one of the best releases of his solo career. In fact, all three of his last releases have been excellent in their own way.

And again, both Connor and McCartney performed at Coachella. Connor and his new band were good, and gave an enjoyable, assured performance. McCartney and his band were on another level from every other performer.

Red 333

Let's face it: they are no longer relevant and they just take away resources from those who are.

I would say that is incorrect. While I must admit I know virtually nothing about Paul McCartney, I am a huge Dylan fan from all eras of his career, and over the past ten years or so he has produced a trilogy of fantastic albums (Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times), and while his new cd is not on par with those three, to call him "no longer relevant" is unfair. If anything I would say his body of work is a huge resource to others.

Also, although it's almost 20 years old by now, I would tell everyone to listen to his album "World Gone Wrong." It's full of great blues standards and it has J-45 tone all over it.

...over the past ten years or so he[Dylan] has produced a trilogy of fantastic albums (Time Out of Mind' date=' Love and Theft, and Modern Times), and while his new cd is not on par with those three, to call him "no longer relevant" is unfair. If anything I would say his body of work is a huge resource to others. [/quote']

+ 1

Red 333

Dylan will always be relevant!! Just read a interview, where he mentioned Jimmy Buffett as one of his favorite song writers.

I like Jimmy too, I thought that was very cool of Dylan!

What resources are you talking about?

Sorry, a bit vague. I was referring to airplay, magazine articles, forum threads, studio time, record company promotion, et. al.

A good discussion. I appreciate all the points made, but I still stand firm. While their influence cannot be denied, I think their current relevance (new material) is long since expired.

Keep in mind, I do not wish to bash those boys. In fact, Dylan (along with Neil) is the reason I even play the (acoustic) guitar today. There is no bigger Dylan fan than me. But dwelling on Old Ghosts distracts from the great music being produced today. How many times can one listen to "Band on the Run"? Really? 10? 67? 125? The law of diminishing returns will take over.

Agree about Neko's Middle Cyclone. At the half way point, my pick for record of the year.

Archived