Gibson Brands Forums

When was the first Hummingbird 12 string made by Gibson

nrand

humming12_7543.jpg

This is the one I saw that made me wonder - I think these were available new in 2008 as a Custom line of some sort. I think these are actually copies of the Ibanez Lawsuit 12 strings from 1974-1975. Makes me wonder if maybe Ibanez should be suing Gibson - LOL.

I own a mint 75 Concord Hummingbird that apparently sat in its case for 25-30 years untouched. Once I add some Grover tuners there will only be a couple of minor cosmetic differences. I hope your moderators have a sense of humour.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=3

I think Hummingbird 12s have only been made as small runs or Custom instruments. I am unaware of 12-string versions of the Hummingbird from the 1960s thru the 1980s, although -- who knows? -- maybe some were made.

The 12-string Hummingbird has only emerged, to my knowledge, in the last few years from Bozeman.

Fred

The one at Fuller's I posted the image of is most definitely a Custom Shop model. It has the emblem on the back of the neck. I don't think they were ever a standard production model. Also, I think Bob R is right about the B45-12 model. It does have the same finish as the birds, and it sure is a good looker.

The one at Fuller's I posted the image of is most definitely a Custom Shop model.

Jeremy Fuller from Fullers Vintage Guitar sent me this meaasge today:

"This special run was built exclusively for us in 2008, there was one run also built in 2007 also."

The one at Fuller's I posted the image of is most definitely a Custom Shop model.

Jeremy Fuller from Fullers Vintage Guitar sent me this meaasge today:

"This special run was built exclusively for us in 2008, there was one run also built in 2007 also."

• 5 months later...
humming12_7543.jpg

This Hummingbird is now mine.

I bought an Ibanez Concorde 12 copy in 1974. Played it to death. It wouldn't intonate properly right from the very beginning and the cheap plywood top caved and the instument finally became unplayable. I had looked for a replacement even when the Ibanez was new, always wanting the original. 35 years later the one at Fullers was the first I had encountered for sale. I couldn't buy it fast enough! It is a far better instument, worlds apart in every aspect. I was told by the rep at Gibsons Nashville Showcase store that these were in fact limited runs for Fullers but one had been made for the Nashville store. I own 6 twelve strings, used to be 7 but I gave one to my cousin in Nashville. The Hummingbird is now not only my favorite 12 string, it is my favorite guitar period.

• 3 months later...

Oh my word, that Fullers Hummingbird is completely, jaw-droppingly sexy.

How is the tone? I would love one of those to go alongside my 6-string 'Bird. That would be the ultimate stage setup. Did it come with a pickup?

I bought that guitar some 30 years ago, gave it to my niece 23 years ago and just got it back to relearn.

That guitar is a Takeharu with no pickup since i used it only at home for pleasure.

Godin guitars are made close to my home as i read you have one of them.

I had it revised by a luthier yesterday and the guitar is in perfect shape and he's never seen cords so close to the frettboard or a 12 stringers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jinder.

I have two other acoustic twelve strings. A Guild and a Martin. Both are beautiful to play and listen to. The Guild is a dreadnaught and the Martin is a Jumbo 12-41. Many people are of the opinion the J-12-41 is the ultimate 12-string acoustic and I know why. I am confident that every one of them would change their minds after playing the Hummingbird. It is richer, louder, more melodic, stunning. It may even be shocking to some people that such beautiful sounds are coming from a guitar. People sit and stare, mesmerized, unable to speak, even after I stop playing, it bring tears to women’s eyes. More than once I’ve been told “that’s the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen or heard”.

If you can find another, grab it, it will be you favourite too.

I wouldn’t sell this one for 10 times what I paid

I agree. I bought a Hummingbird 12 string about a year and a half ago. Then, in what I can only describe as an episode of stupidity, sold it. I'd just bought a used Rainsong 12 for gigs, and thought, " man, why do I need two, and I'm playing the Rainsong more, it's too nice of a guitar to sit in the case, and maybe free some cash up for another 6 string...etc, etc." Any rate, within a couple weeks I was kicking myself and really missing it. So, I called Fuller's and they had another in stock, so I bought it. Expensive and stupid mistake. I'm keeping this one. It's really unlike any other 12.

Dwight

• 1 month later...

I've really got a case of GAS for a 12 string. My ultimate guitar would be a Hummingbird 12 - to match my 6 string. ever since I saw the Fullers I've wanted one- but $$$ is an issue. Last week I toured the new Guild factory in New Hartford, CT. They are making really fine guitars in their new facility - really fine. A new line of lower priced guitars (less finish, but the same level of workmanship in the actual woodworking) is coming out soon. The Standard series is really going to sell quickly.

• 7 months later...

Archived