Gibson Brands Forums

2 week old SG standard fret buzzing ... normal ?

LeBudfrumHull_SG

Is it normal that a SG would need a neck adjustment after the first 2 weeks at home ?

Strings are now buzzing all over the fretboard.

Is it just the wood getting adjusted to the temp & humidity at my place that caused this

or could there be another issue ? (maybe some sort of conspiracy ...) =D>

Please tell me this happens all the time and there's nothing to worry about !!!!!

My poor axe ....:-s

thanks,

LeBud

Neck adjustment? Not likely. Did you change your strings or something like that? It's probably just something simple like you need to get your bridge raised a bit.

Just take it someplace and get it set up. I had to set up all my guitars after I bought them.

Neck adjustment? Not likely. Did you change your strings or something like that? It's probably just something simple like you need to get your bridge raised a bit. Just take it someplace and get it set up. I had to set up all my guitars after I bought them.

+1 . . . . Figure out what guage strings you want to play and have it setup with those strings.

Is where you keep it significantly hotter/colder or more or less humid than where it came from? Such things can make a difference. I got a guitar out that I hadnt played in a few weeks. the weather has changed. Imagine my surprise to find all the strings were too tight. I kind of expect them to slowly go slack!

something tells me it's just settling from shipment from a cooler climate to a warmer climate. slacken the strings a hair, let the wood climatize, and then go get it set up again. I have no idea where Gatineau, PQ is. Sounds like a warm place!

I'll bring it to the shop where it was bought and let their tech look it over .

Kind of pisses me off to have to bring it in so soon but

it should be a quick fix ...

or maybe I'll take vourot's advice and throw it in the trash ....(sure ....)

Hey Sliptrip, Gatineau is across the river from Ottawa , and it's not a warm place !

It's June 1st and its only 52 degrees F ... Can't wait for July when it'll be 55 !

BTW Twiz///, it's not looking good for the Pens right now....

Sid better start scoring soon or else it's curtains.

I've had to adjust the truss rod a couple of times on my Byrdland over the past few weeks due to the flucuating humidity and temps.

Either adjust your truss rod and/or raise the bridge.

BTW...I'm in North Bay so we're experiencing pretty much the same weather.

+1 on the setup! Have them check the nut, while you're at it. Humidity (more that temp fluxuations...unless extreme)

will have more effect on slight neck movements. Usually just takes a slight tweak of the Truss Rod. If you're not familiar

with how to do that, have the tech show you....it's quite simple, really.

CB

Good answers,

- did you change strings?

I kinda like bendy 0.09's, they buzz like crazy, just as long as it doesn't show up in the amp

- bring 'er back x warranty

If you bring it to the shop, watch out for hammer monkeys, they'll bugger your axe and it'll be your fault. Finding a good luither is like finding a good wife.

REMEMBER

- "Mechanical ability is inversely proportional to the size of your hammer" - First law of Lewis

The Strings are the same ones that came with the Guitar, I like the gauge (10-46) but those

bright wires get dull in hurry. I'll get new ones installed at the same time as the tech does his thing.

I have a luthier , but he's always really busy... I guess I'll have to bug him so he can do a quick adjustment

while I wait...

BTW Dickey , It's not "always" cold here ... just most of the time. O:)

Thanks for all the replies.

LeBud

Archived