Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Valve Jr. Anybody?

Twiz

A couple weeks back there was a thread about our practice rigs. Since then I've been looking for a small tube combo to play though. I think I've settled on an Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo has anybody played through them? It seems like a pretty awesome little tube amp for around $200.

I'm a big fan of the 5 watter amps. I've had a Victoria 518 (which is quite expensive), but found the current production of small amps like the Epiphone can sound very close and very good.

Right now I have both a Fender Champion 600 and the new Vox AC4. They both sound very good, although I think I'm going to keep the Vox because it has a little bigger speaker; a tone control; and the power switch (4 watt, 1 watt, 1/4 watt) is pretty neat for home and recording use.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. With the EPI, I might consider a head and 12 inch cab.

Whatever, they are great deals and there are plenty of modification one can make over time to tweak them. At these prices, they are kind of like buying an effects pedal.

They are nice all things considered' date=' but why not go for a blackheart? They are basically the same amp with more features, they have gone up (way up) in price since their release tho...[/quote']

Thundergod has good point.

I have a little giant (this model has eq). It is a powerful little amp, has somewhat good tone and is somewhat loud.

People also have been putting some serious mods on these amps too.

I had the VJ, and I not a huge fan. I ended up spending a ton on mods...it improved it but not by much. The absence of an EQ made it difficult to dial in the right one. Mine always sounded so dark and muddy. It also doesn't have a ton of headroom.

I would take a look at the Tech 21 amps. Not a tube amp, but a great practice amp.

I own a Valve Jr. that I'm pretty happy about. It's only slightly modded with a Bitmo Spanky mod + the valves were changed into JJ's. It is still a tiny bit dark, but since I bought a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive my drive sound has been brilliant!

Yeah, for me the thing that intrigues me about the amp is the lack of features. I think the 1 knob is kinda cool. I've got an eq pedal that I can use to tweak stuff. I'm anxious to hear it with a Big Muff or my DS-1.

I've hear mostly good things about the epi, but also a lot of people mod them out which makes me think perhaps in original form it needs some help.

Here is a link to a mod that most could do to help the amp. This is how the web site describes the mod, "known as the “JP1 Mod”. The name derived from the jumper labeled JP1 on the board. It basically morphs the tone of the guitar amp from one with no definition, dark, to an instant edgy and more present tone."

It goes on to say, "if you can clip your nails... you can do this mod." which I thought was sort of funny.

Here is the link: Sound Garage Tales

BH>VJ but i didnt care for either of them and sent them both back. i prefer the orange TT, though it is more expensive. the egnater rebel 20 is ok,but i wasnt floored by it. i havent played the HT-5 or the Vox, but i have heard good things.

The problem with the mods is that they end up costing a lot.

If you follow the link for the mod for the valve jr I posted and watch the video you can see that all that is involved is snipping out one 22uF electrolytic cathode capacitor from the circuit on the second half of the pre-amp tube.

That's pretty dog gone cheap and easy.

I got a VJ from Randy Bemis (bemisamplification.com) modded "Custom 7".

F**KING BEAUTIFUL TONE.

Works great with a good od pedal too (actually prefer it that way - Maxon OD-820). I play it thru my Mesa Recto 4x12 let me tell you it totally kicks.

This is now the best amp I've owned and I've owned too many to count. All for < $500.

If you follow the link for the mod for the valve jr I posted and watch the video you can see that all that is involved is snipping out one 22uF electrolytic cathode capacitor from the circuit on the second half of the pre-amp tube.

That's pretty dog gone cheap and easy.

It might depend on the version. I had version 2. Had to replace speaker, some caps, some resistors, the tubes, and the OT...It was way better...but with the cost of the mods I could have bought a better amp.

I was shopping around For a small 5watt amp, test drove the Vave Junior and the Fender (Whatsit?), but ended up with the Crate V5.

Louder, clearer, has a 10 inch speaker, and a Tone Control Knob. Great Little Mutha.

Archived