Gibson Brands Forums

What do you use to wipe your guitar down after use. Just curious

eeh1

One of those all-time classic yellow dusters with red thread edges.

I found the tip on Google and confirmed it by using the Gibson Forum search button.

Nah - not really - had one in every guitar case since the seventies. Does the job at minimal cost.

Anybody says you should use Cob Belushi gilt-edged Damask lint-free cloth is into bling over functionality.....

I'm kind of wondering what you are using it for that you have to wipe it down after using it........however........I use that standard little wipe that I got at the Martin store.....works really well for cleaning down the strings of oils and sweat.....lol

I don't wipe mine down but i do need to get some of those cloths and do that a little more often

One dobro brand guitar I bought had a large pair of cotton granny panties in the case. It actually worked well and I sold the panties with the guitar

I keep a supply of cotton diapers around. After washing them several times, they are very soft and I keep one in each of my cases when I tuck my guitars in the case every night after playing, I wipe the strings down, give the area where my arm rests a few swipes, hit the back of the neck and then I fold it across the lower bout of the guitar and close the case.

Sweet dreams little guitars......... =D>

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the strings, neck and body.

If the plain steels get a little gunky, I take a jcloth and dip it in Hott's No. 9 gun barrel cleaner and slide it under the strings then twist it above and run the length of the string for a few passes. Revitalizes strings especially if you have acidic skin like I do.

I keep a supply of cotton diapers around. After washing them several times' date=' they are very soft and I keep one in each of my cases when I tuck my guitars in the case every night after playing, I wipe the strings down, give the area where my arm rests a few swipes, hit the back of the neck and then I fold it across the lower bout of the guitar and close the case.

Sweet dreams little guitars......... =P~ [/quote']

that's what i use too

Various 100% cotton rags, including some diapers that have lasted over 35 years. If only used for wipe offs after playing, they don't need washing often, but when I do wash them I avoid drier sheet fabric softeners, which some claim leave tiny abrasives behind. (I'm allergic to those drier fabric softeners anyway.)

It was Gandhi who said.....

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and poverty"

.....but me who said "Meade Micro-Fibre lens cleaning cloth".

This is not just a common anti-static cleaning cloth,

this Meade micro-fibre cloth is made of a special

micro weave fabric that can remove marks and spots

utilising a very safe abrasive process.

The special cloth easily removes stubborn salt marks,

grease spots and finger prints. The special fibres provide

a totally safe micro abrasive surface that is ideally suited

to guitars, banjos, ukeleles, bazouki, veena, sitars, peen naam tao

and those funny little 3-stringed Mande harp things made with calabash gourds.....

2300_1L.jpg

Is there a problem with more than one thread?? Some people come to there questions at different times . Hence different threads on the same dubject. Its fine with me . How about you?

suburude

It's absolutely fine with me. I thought folks might benefit from the earlier discussion. You appear to have a problem with somebody saying here's some more material on the same subject. No criticism of the current thread was stated or implied.

I use old, all-cotton bedsheets cut into big squares along with Fender Mist & Wipe. (Although it may be difficult to find sheets that are all-cotton, these days. Mine are some from my Grandma's stash.) If the guitar is really nasty, I use Virtuoso polish. Maybe once a year I use the Virtuoso cleaner, but you have to be careful with that stuff, 'cause too much rubbing can take off the finish. Oh, yeah, that reminds me, I need to buy a lacquer pen. I got kinda enthusiastic one day and went a bit too far. But, hey - she was a really dirty girl when I brought her home! :)

Flinx

I use a microfiber cloth I got free last summer. It's good to use something you can recycle. I use Dunlop 65 and Gibson String cleaners. I also have a Washburn kit but it's getting low. I looked for the Dr.Ducks cleaner cause I saw a Session Bass Player uses it and likes it. They were sold out. :)

I was wondering if anybody uses the SWR cloth? It was a gift from Sam Ash when I bought a guitar. It cleans dirt and grime off strings very well.

Meanwhile I'm still thinking... Guitar Player Magazine's Dan Erliwine says not to over use oil on the neck and headstock. It goes thru the truss rod cover area into the wood and can corrode or even rot it, and sometimes ruin machine heads. So I stick to polish and string cleaners. I do like Stuart Box' "Lemoil" for the neck. It does a good job.

You can find his stuff here: http://www.bme.com.au

One of those all-time classic yellow dusters with red thread edges....

+1 They work, don't scratch and are cheap. Only down side is once in a great while you get a bit of fuzz transfereed to one of the strings. If all of a sudden one of your strings develops a strange harmonic. Look close for some yellow fuzz. Just pick it off with your fingers. Don't try to burn it off with a match... KSDADDY says it could snap the string.

Archived