Gibson Brands Forums

SG-3 pickups

Luap

Hello.

Is the middle pickup not a kind of annoying, with your pick touching it the whole time when you play? (since there isn't a place where you can strum without a pickup?)

(if I'm clear this way)

Greets.

It doesn't bother me at all. Although I don't have an SG-3 model, I have an SG Special w/3pups (that's pickups not puppies) and the pups don't have covers. I remember when I first picked up the guitar, I thought that the middle pickup would bother me, but it really doesn't. Hope that helped a bit!

One love star

Like most things it is down to personal preference and playing style. I dont know for sure but I would imagine the level of interference would depend to a significant extent on how low or high you like your action. But if you think about it logically, how far do you stick your plec between the strings? I think any interference with playing is probably as much psychological as it is physical. You think it will get in the way so you convince yourself that it does.

Take GS above for example. Im not knocking him, just using him to illustrate a point. He finds middle pickups annoying so he doesnt like strats. Yet half the guitarists in the world use strats or strat type guitars without any problem so I doubt that there is anything inherently problematic with the design!

just a thought - how deep to you take your pick into the strings and what guage pick do you use? some use a light pick and take it deep to the strings to get the same kind of sound (sharp attack) a medium or heavy pick will give you with much less depth. I play a 3 pup guitar with no problem and use medium picks.

Could someone measure the height between the strings and the middle pickup?

It's about 0.4-0.5 mm. I use Dunlop Tortex 1.0 mm picks, and I have absolutely no problem. In my case, it was all in my head, when I picked up the guitar, I thought that the middle pickup would bother me like hell, but it absolutely doesn't.

One love

iSoto how's that special? I kindof want one.

Luap, it doesn't matter what the pup height is on someone else's guitar is. It's one of those things that most people mess with and change and if it's getting in the way you can easily lower it in about 5 seconds.

I think you should get the SG-3 if you like it, I do. I've played lots of 3 humbucker equipped guitars (including an SG and LP customs) and they have never bothered me.

i played a gibson WRC ( SSH configuration ) anf it bother me.

i found it really annpying with a single coil, with an humbucker it will be a big problem for me.

i play often metallica's rhytm part and it will be very very annoying..

plus i don't see the utility of a 3rd PU....

IMO uh =D>

iSoto how's that special? I kindof want one.

I really really like, the neck is a bit chunky, but that's a plus for me. The only downfall of the guitar would be the 6-way rotary selector, which is somewhat a pain in the @$$ to get used to for fast pickup switching (not that I do that, but you know...). But it's a great guitar and I love it.

If you want one, you'll have to snatch one off from eBay or find a store that still has it in stock, because Gibson discontinued this model in early/mid 2008.

One love star

I really really like' date=' the neck is a bit chunky, but that's a plus for me. The only downfall of the guitar would be the 6-way rotary selector, which is somewhat a pain in the @$$ to get used to for fast pickup switching (not that I do that, but you know...). But it's a great guitar and I love it.

If you want one, you'll have to snatch one off from eBay or find a store that still has it in stock, because Gibson discontinued this model in early/mid 2008.

One love star[/quote']

can you post some photos of your SG-3? :-

Seriously LUAP, I know you have trouble finding Gibsons locally to do your own comparisons but there is just no way for you to know if it will work for you without trying one. Epi also make, or made, a 3 pickup version of their G400. I dont suggest it as an alternative to buy but if you cant find a Gibson you might find an Epi locally so you can at least see if you find the third pickup irritating or not.

Opinion seems to be divided as to the utility of the third pickup and if it is annoying or not. Personally I would say if in doubt go for a standard 2 pickup model.

Archived