Gibson Brands Forums

The "New" Zoot Suit SG

jimmiJAMM

I think alot of us hope that Gibson takes steps to continue producing great guitars and would even like to see something fresh and new that we for the most part could cling on to.

Unfortunately....This ain't it.:-

IMO.

To express our displeasure in this attempt at something new is what Gibson needs to hear. I see nothing wrong with letting them know that. This could be the greatest sounding guitar since the Les Paul....But I can't get past the look.

Ask yourself this... If they offered it in Heritage cherry, Ebony or some other traditional color...Would you want it knowing that it's birch laminate underneath, or would you prefer solid mohogany?

I just hope this isn't an attempt at getting us used to the idea of laminates instead of the real deal (Mohogany).

Back to the drawing board guys (the mohogany board that is)

IMO.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think alot of us hope that Gibson takes steps to continue producing great guitars and would even like to see something fresh and new that we for the most part could cling on to.

Unfortunately....This ain't it.:-

IMO.

Amen to that !

I also have a beef about the SG Raw Power' date=' not because of the looks or anything like that,

but because a SG is made from mahogany, not maple.

Why didn't they come out with a different form for that guitar ? Something original maybe ?

Maybe it could looked like .. a ... STRAT ! (just kiddin) But you know what I'm getting at.

They took the EZ way out and just made a SG out of maple.

IMO , There's already too many SG's out there , Standards, RI's , Diablos, Specials, Faded, Zoot suits etc ...

and that's not counting the Epiphones.

Hate to ramble on like that, but I think Gibson should re-evaluate their marketing . default_eusa_wall.gif

I hope Gibson will eventually come out with a couple new finishes for the SG standard. Of course, they should always keep the traditional Cherry and Black. But they had a good thing going when they made the Natural Burst(which I have), and they could have used some of their finishes on the Standard that the Raw Power's have. I don't know why they won't try some new finishes out on the most revolutionary and bought Gibson SG in the history of the company.

But after seeing the Zoot Suit, I'm kinda scared. Maybe they need to stop dropping so much acid first.

I hope Gibson will eventually come out with a couple new finishes for the SG standard. Of course' date=' they should always keep the traditional Cherry and Black. But they had a good thing going when they made the Natural Burst(which I have), and they could have used some of their finishes on the Standard that the Raw Power's have. I don't know why they won't try some new finishes out on the most revolutionary and bought Gibson SG in the history of the company.

But after seeing the Zoot Suit, I'm kinda scared. Maybe they need to stop dropping so much acid first.[/quote']

Unfortunately....This ain't it.;)

IMO.

To express our displeasure in this attempt at something new is what Gibson needs to hear. I see nothing wrong with letting them know that. This could be the greatest sounding guitar since the Les Paul....But I can't get past the look.

Ask yourself this... If they offered it in Heritage cherry' date=' Ebony or some other traditional color...Would you want it knowing that it's birch laminate underneath, or would you prefer solid mohogany?

I just hope this isn't an attempt at getting us used to the idea of laminates instead of the real deal (Mohogany).

Back to the drawing board guys (the mohogany board that is)

IMO.[/quote']

Well said, gentlemen.

This isn't about bellyaching or hating. I think we truly believe in Gibson and expect excellence.

Not a big fan of the overall look (didn't Clapton have a 60s Cream-era SG that was painted up all psychedelic? By the Dutch artist collective called the Fool?), though I appreciate alot of craftsmanship went into layering all those woods and all, but I'd like to hear how one sounds. And those pickups look oddly familiar....anyone remember what the neck pickup on a Gibson Marauder looked like? For the record, I can stand the Zoot Suit before I can stand that SG Menace they made, which looked like some industrial-NiN-Hot Topic-inspired trendy garbage. The Menace headstock logo was just wrong. I liked the Goth Gibsons better than that thing. But again, can't say I've heard what a Menace sounded like.

Not a big fan of the overall look (didn't Clapton have a 60s Cream-era SG that was painted up all psychedelic? By the Dutch artist collective called the Fool?)' date=' though I appreciate alot of craftsmanship went into layering all those woods and all, but I'd like to hear how one sounds. And those pickups look oddly familiar....anyone remember what the neck pickup on a Gibson Marauder looked like? For the record, I can stand the Zoot Suit before I can stand that SG Menace they made, which looked like some industrial-NiN-Hot Topic-inspired trendy garbage. The Menace headstock logo was just wrong. I liked the Goth Gibsons better than that thing. But again, can't say I've heard what a Menace sounded like.[/quote']

They had similar pickups on the Goddess I think.

I have an Aria Pro II "The Cat" by the way.

Well personally I don't care for the Zoot Suit, but they did have the balls to try something innovative. If they don't sell any, well, the few out there will become collector's items one day.

Just imagine what the Les Paul players said back when they discontinued that line and brought in some weird looking guitar with two horns on it....

A Lot of The 70's Gibson Copies That Were Considered the Worse Copies Were Made out of Plywood.

And all the Ibanez/Westbury/Univox/ Cort/Cortez/Aria and a Lot Others

Had Birch/Plywood Tops

Plywood does not mean "bad" or "poor quality" or "cheap". Sure, there's the plywood at Home Depot and that would not be quality material to make a guitar out of. But these are made out of quality sheets of wood, laminated together using controlled methods and quality materials. This wasn't done as a cost-saving measure, but rather as a means to create a new type of body with different resonant properties than the guitars they've been producing up to this point. Hate the colors, hate the sound, but don't insinuate that it's poorly constructed of cheap materials.

I wonder what people would have thought it they had just released this in the same cherry/black finishes that are apparently the ONLY acceptable colors for SGs?

Let's not overlook White' date=' TV Yellow and Pelham Blue. :- [/quote']

All of which look better than black. But seriously, it gets kinda boring if it's just the same 5 colors over and over again - especially when two of them are black and white.

I happen to like the rainbow better than black SGs. The only black guitar I like the looks of is a LP with cream binding.

Personally I'd love to see a SG Goldtop with a cream colored '61 pickguard and neck binding!

The only black guitar I like the looks of is a LP with cream binding.

What about Clapton's Blackie?

While we're on the subject, a lot of people don't dig on black cars because they say the lines are hard to see. I think that about white ones but color selection's always been subjective. Just look at the dude's tie in the next cubicle. :-

The zoot suit is hideous. The only question I have is:

WHY???

Apparently "It's product that a privately held company decided to produce, release and is currently for sale." or some such nonsense.

As for it being hideous, I couldn't agree more. Sounds like crap too.

Thats the first reasonable thing you've said =D>

I didn't say it... you did. =P~ *See page 1

Ready to elaborate on the sounds like crap statement or not yet?

Sure' date=' gunny. Played a black & white one at Guitar Center. [b']The price?[/b] $1,199.00. The sound? Allow me to phrase this in a "reasonable" manner. Crap. As the proud owner of two Standards, I found the sound to be sub-par in terms of tone and heat. It felt cumbersome and unbalanced. The look? IMHO, butt ugly. Clear pups, no fret markers, that silly red selector cap that reminded me of Bozo's nose. I did, however, like the satin neck. It was fassssst as opposed to the nitro-stickiness of my '07.

Overall I give it a thumbs down. In Gibson I trust but I think they really let us down with these things.

Now can you do me a favor and pul-eese get off my a$$???] (*,)

I didn't say it... you did. =D> *See page 1

DUH! I know. I was being ironical

Sure' date=' gunny. Played a black & white one at Guitar Center. [b']The price?[/b] $1,199.00. The sound? Allow me to phrase this in a "reasonable" manner. Crap. As the proud owner of two Standards, I found the sound to be sub-par in terms of tone and heat. It felt cumbersome and unbalanced. The look? IMHO, butt ugly. Clear pups, no fret markers, that silly red selector cap that reminded me of Bozo's nose. I did, however, like the satin neck. It was fassssst as opposed to the nitro-stickiness of my '07.

Overall I give it a thumbs down. In Gibson I trust but I think they really let us down with these things.

Now can you do me a favor and pul-eese get off my a$$???] (*,)

There there now, you feel better? Got that off your chest didja? I just thought it strange that you made this claim before it was release is all. Wanted to know more before you copped an attitude. Now I don't really give a crap what you think about it =P~

I watched Wall-E in math class last year.

I didn't plug the Zoot in but the neck felt good. I hate the pickups in it. And before I get schooled with people asking how I could know I hate the pickups without plugging the Zoot in I've played with these pickups extensively. My best friend had a flying V with them and I've played over a dozen others with the combo.

I like the look but not the stock sound. With a pickup swap it would be interesting.

Archived