Gibson Brands Forums

Jocko: on Memphis

Hall

Sheeesh what a drag. Whats the point of trying to ruin someone's day? Misinformation? On a website?? Kidding right.

The man is excited about his new guitar, as we all would be. I don't understand what anybody would get by crushing his joy. Is it a superiority complex...?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess that "Custom Shop" logo (on the actual guitar) and C.O.A. can't argue with that.

Sheesh, Murph. I like you (not in that way), you seem like a great buy but is it that hard to really comprehend?

So what if you have a piece of paper and a case that that say Custom Shop. If the guitar wasn't made in Nashville, it's not.

Marketing, dude...marketing.

Look at my R9s - reissues of the 1959 Les Paul Standard. Are they really reissues of the 1959 Standard? No, they're not.

They're just marketed that way by Gibson so people will draw parallels.

OK I lied about not asking any more questions...

What difference does it make if it was MFG in Nashville or Alaska? If Gibson's Custom Shop even said their was two Custom shop locations and that the specfic guitar we are talking about is a Custom Shop Guitar what difference does it make? Thats a question and not a statement' date=' I am not trying to rock the boat but to ask questions about this and learn. [/quote']

Okay. Here ya go......

If it doesn't make any difference, then why are these two cork sniffers so determined to insist that the Gibson guitar being advertised, and sold, with hard earned American dollars, is NOT a Custom Shop guitar.

How do they gain by saying it is NOT?

Follow the money.

i never said his guitar sucks, did I? i never said "my guitar is better than your guitar" did I?

cookieman, isnt the point of a forum to share information? If icame on here and said my Les Paul Studio came factory equipped with BurstBuckers, would you correct me? or would just think that would be "crushing my joy"?

Okay. Here ya go......

If it doesn't make any difference' date=' then why are these two cork sniffers so determined to insist that the Gibson guitar being advertised, and sold, with hard earned American dollars, is NOT a Custom Shop guitar.

How do they gain by saying it is NOT?

Follow the money.

[/quote']

follow the money? i think Buddy Light here has had a few too many PBRs. again, Murph...if I own a ES-339, how am I a cork sniffer?

here's an email i sent to Inside Guy over at MLP he is considered to be the real deal, especially after producing NAMM pamphlets and pics before the show.

hi,

i have a question about the Custom Shop. a long time ago, a mod on the Gibson Forum explained that the "Custom Shop" is an umbrella for the Memphis Plant and the actual Custom Shop. He stated that because of this managerial arrangement, Memphis production models such as the es-339 can be classified as "custom shop" guitars, despite not actually being manufactured in the Custom Shop.

Can you confirm this as true?

Thanks,

Ron

his response:

Hi Ron,

Yes, it's true. The Memphis facility is run by the Custom Shop.

here's an email i sent to Inside Guy over at MLP he is considered to be the real deal' date=' especially after producing NAMM pamphlets and pics before the show.

hi,

i have a question about the Custom Shop. a long time ago, a mod on the Gibson Forum explained that the "Custom Shop" is an umbrella for the Memphis Plant and the actual Custom Shop. He stated that because of this managerial arrangement, Memphis production models such as the es-339 can be classified as "custom shop" guitars, despite not actually being manufactured in the Custom Shop.

Can you confirm this as true?

Thanks,

Ron

his response:

Hi Ron,

Yes, it's true. The Memphis facility is run by the Custom Shop.[/quote']

I cant see where this email supports your argument. It appears he confirms Jocko's conversation with Gibson.

Wait a minute I realize I am not a expert but I talked with Gibson USA and they said the Custom Shop has two locations. They have no reason to lie about it. These two individuals took time in their schedules to speak with me and they both said there are two locations of the custom shop. So with this knowledge whats the issue here?

The issue is a few people want to argue with Gibson about if they are allowed to have more than one Custom Shop.

I think they have no such right.

They like to argue.

I can't exactly remember what I wrote last time, but it had something to do with the definition of "custom" which literally means "made to order." How many guitars in any of the Gibson shops are truly made to order? I'd argue very few. So what does owning a "Custom Shop" guitar mean. Does it mean limited edition? Does it mean hand built, more than others? I know I'm asking rhetorical questions, so here is a real one.

What are the main differences between the custom shops that makes one THE custom shop?

All bullsh!t aside, when you pay hard earned money for a guitar, and it is advertised as a Custom Shop guitar, and has the logo, and the COA, and the case and you like it, ect. and all is well, the last thing you expect in a

GIBSON FORUM

is someone telling you you bought a normal guitar. That Gibson lied to you.

"Shutup and play the guitar ain't gonna work."

I might want to buy another one.

Archived