Gibson Brands Forums

Best Bass Player

pbass54

I know it's been ask before' date=' Just humer me. So many to choose from. I would have to say John Paul Jones and Stanley Clarke.:-k [/quote']

I saw John Paul Jones live about 8 years ago and he came out with a 3 neck guitar! 6 string, 12 string, mandolin. He started playing messing around with a looping pedal and "Going to California" rhythm on the 6, played around on the 12, and the famous little melody on the mandolin. Amazing!

Also like Victor Wooten

Alot of great picks some I left out of my own list. This was just a test to show how many diferent styles and test there are in music. But we all agree on one thing music knows no limets, it starts and never ends it's in all of us and thats why we do what we do. Play our music Proudly. Peace and Love to all of you!

One vote for Charles Mingus

Awesome Upright player, I think he is a great composer more than anything. Sort of like "Sting" from the Sting and the Police; new what notes to hit at the right time to make a perfect song.

Joco is good in a Ruboto sort of way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Everybody seems to be assuming 'string' bass.....which is ok and most names have come up, apart from Jack Bruce

But what about the 'daddy' J S Bach, who seems to have instigated many bass concepts and is essential study for modern technical bass players

And Jimmy Smith....who plays mind boggling bass lines whilst improvising jazz......

V

:-({|=

Everybody seems to be assuming 'string' bass.....which is ok and most names have come up, apart from Jack Bruce

But what about the 'daddy' J S Bach, who seems to have instigated many bass concepts and is essential study for modern technical bass players

And Jimmy Smith....who plays mind boggling bass lines whilst improvising jazz......

V

:-({|=

How about this bassplayer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY

Archived