Gibson Brands Forums

I'm having a complete lack of insperation.

The Mick

If you feel it is inspiration you need, forget playing for the minute, and book some tickets to concerts you normally wouldn't think of going to, or haven't perhaps been to in a while; for example Classical recitals, jazz club jams, rock bands that you have always liked but never seen live. Also look up local colleges and see if they have any name players giving master classes and just go along and watch.

It is important for musicians to keep the listener in them alive and not forget the joy of when they first experienced the greatness of music.

Also do not worry about it, everyone has slumps :)

Matt

Some great ideas and posts there guys. A different style is what I'm after for sure. Milod the hollow body sounds so good to me right now but I fear my gold tops are in such a hard players shape It would take a real player to want them. Any store would laugh them out the door. I think I'll just force myself to sit outside with my acoustic and just not put it down. It just seems so strange not being or wanting to be in a band. My fingers are tender for the first time since I was a kid. Freaking weird.

Thanks all.

Sometimes that does tend to kill the Spirt

if with the Wrong one, the Good ones will help-ya.

Maybe a Long Blonde or Red Wig for the old lady might do the Trick

with Some Boots and a Sence or Play to Act out if She's Willing

to get-ya out of a Rut.

Maybe this can sheer you up: I've been playing guitar from my 9 years until 22,(did alot of giging at that time)and due to different factors(sports career, studies, relationships) I stopped playing the guitar for years...

Until 5 years ago(I'm now 67), for some reason, I picked up one of my old guitars and start studying...and the guitar playing has become back an important part of my life...what I'm trying to say, once you've played and loved guitars, even banned them for some time out of your life,...someday you'll return to them, for sure! But meanwhile try something else, I know what I have done to fill up the holes but this doesn't speak for you Mick, so that you'll need to find out yourself. Just some advice from over the Atlantic!

Kris,

I've come to an idea. I think I will buy some song books from someone and style I wouldn't normally listen to and learn some of their stuff. How they put chords together ect... Might give me some ideas and a different perspective. Really what I need is a different style of music to play. It's been hard rock of one form or another for my whole life. Other than one attempt at Progressive that fell apart due to member conflicts before we ever really got started. :D

I agree with Sear about listening to something different, because it happened to me last year. My wife was learning mandolin, and wanted to step up, so I was surfing Gruhns and found a 1933 Gibson mandolin that had belonged to Scotty Stoneman. I'd never heard of him.

We drove down to Nashville, played it, liked it, bought it and walked across the street to Ernest Tubbs and bought everything in the store that said "Stoneman".

Driving home I popped in the "Live In L.A." Scotty Stoneman and the Kentucky Colonals (w/ Clarence White) and when I heard "Eighth Of January", I almost had to stop the van......

This lunatic was an insane player.

I'm not much into playing bluegrass, but he changed the way I look at lead breaks....

Inspiration can come from anywhere......

Best of luck.

Murph.

Good advice in here, maybe somebody in this forum has a song that needs a second guitar arrangement, it would be cool if you could collaborate. Not sure if you have a way of recording right now though.

Another advice is to go see the movie It Might Get Loud, it will remind you why you play guitar...

Bluegrass is a great idea of something new to listen to. I know Scruggs and a few others but not well. I have an old buddy who I've been in several bands with over the years (he was a singer) who picked up the banjo a few years back when he stopped playing professorially. He is actually planning to move near by if he can find work here. That could be fun. As far as Bucket Head I'm not even sure I've ever heard him. Not really sure I want to.

Thanks all Mick.

Archived