Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes i wish i could play by ear!

dem00n

"Playing by ear" is one of the most relative things out there, worst than tab.

Some people do it and are good, some others do and well their interpretation of songs leaves much to be desired.

Personally I use tab, some of them are actually wrong or simply have note substitution which should not be especially if you are paying for a tab book.

I know people that learn by ear and well...lets say i don't want to hurt their feelings.

Learning chords is one thing, learning a complex songs with 5 layers of guitar tracking is another.

Your interpretation of a song is one thing playing the "recorded version" of a song is another.

I am sticking by Wolf Marshall, Just sayin'

Murph i understand that technology is destroying us young guys.

But i dont care about the twitter and whats on youtube anymore.

Rights now its...guitar' date='girls,school,video games and friends. Oh and food! [/quote']

knock out them video games for a while and pick up your guitar. You can get so much more done in that time. I wasted too much of my youth doing drugs and partying not enough time in my room with my guitar. I should be much further along in my ability's than I am.

Here's one to think about...

I always thought "Classical Gas" was played finger style. That's how I do it.

Yet I read how it was considered a "bluegrass combination with classical." Say what? Hmmm. Can't be.

Then I watched Glen Campbell flatpick the thing. But then keyboard guys did some of the bridge stuff that I do on guitar. Hmmmm, I thought again.

Frankly I think one way or another that you've gotta play your own way. Cover band stuff is fun, but I'm not sure unless that's a specific way to make money that it's the way to go. Been there, done that, but... It's also a way to learn some stuff. Still... Okay, in my beginning years I reeeeeeally wanted to fingerpick. Now that's about all I do, regardless of style.

The ear can offer the basics of a piece of music, whether classical or whatever odd variation of rock one may choose to play - but unlike the keyboard, the guitar offers dozens of ways to play all kinds of music.

m

A good guitar topic. Learning to transcribe has to be the single most important goal of any musician, period. Its also a great excuse to go play with your

buddies to figure out the parts you might not be getting. What better way to spend a few hours? My older brother played guitar so " the little rat " ( me )

also learned. I earned my stripes when I convinced our Mom to buy him a better guitar. He played off the radio and his albums. I learned the same way

( mostly ) . Anyway, learn to transcribe and the rest is gravy.

Unless your deaf...You play by ear. I mean, you know if your playing it correctly or not right?

Just get used to all the sounds a guitar makes. You can test yourself even. I keep a crappy old acoustic by my living room chair. When I hear a song on tv I will sometimes grab it up and try to recreate the basic tones without mistake. I don't mean play the song as being played necessarily, but the key notes. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at it. Keeps my wife in awe anyway.

You should be able to tell not only the chord being played, but where on the guitar it is being played. Same with single notes. It goes a long ways to giving you the best idea as to how THEY are playing it. Then if need be...Get the Tabs. Watch the video if available.

.=D>The measure of a good guitar player is not how easy it is to learn new things. But how well you play what you have learned

Hi!

I'm a piano player - not a guitar player (sorry), but I play with lots of guitar players and understand basic guitar playing.

I can help you out in terms of playing by ear. I've learned how to play by ear, using basic music theory, and lots of practice. Some people are more naturally gifted at picking out melodies by ear, but everyone can benefit from understanding the music theory behind it.

I have a website that goes through the steps of what chord progressions are and how to recognize those patterns. I use Christian music because I'm a worship leader and that's what I love. But the principles behind the music are all the same.

If you do check it out, start with the Number System article on the left. It'll walk you through the basic music theory.

http://playworshipnow.com/Play_By_Ear.html

Hope this helps!

Helen

Dom...

I think you've gotten some pretty good general advice.

Funny thing is that when I was your age and younger I could "hear" and play out melody lines on a keyboard okay' date=' but not chords. Now for guitar I hear chord variations that kinda sorta apply themselves to my "piano bar" finger style guitar playing. Can't figure fingerings all that well for single string fast stuff. I keep wanting "full chords" regardless.

[/quote']

I didn't ask the question Dem00n did...

and I can't figure chords out to easily it takes me like a half hour to figure out one

Here's one to think about...

I always thought "Classical Gas" was played finger style. That's how I do it.

Yet I read how it was considered a "bluegrass combination with classical." Say what? Hmmm. Can't be.

Then I watched Glen Campbell flatpick the thing. But then keyboard guys did some of the bridge stuff that I do on guitar. Hmmmm' date=' I thought again.

Frankly I think one way or another that you've gotta play your own way. Cover band stuff is fun, but I'm not sure unless that's a specific way to make money that it's the way to go. Been there, done that, but... It's also a way to learn some stuff. Still... Okay, in my beginning years I reeeeeeally wanted to fingerpick. Now that's about all I do, regardless of style.

The ear can offer the basics of a piece of music, whether classical or whatever odd variation of rock one may choose to play - but unlike the keyboard, the guitar offers dozens of ways to play all kinds of music.

m

[/quote']

ALL you young'uns need to listen to this guy right here ^

I'm joking... but I wanted to start back then my parents wouldn't let me

It's kinda hard for me to sort through all of the stuff... but given the time I can do it...

my guitar teacher doesnt even need the recording for certain songs...

Most of the time he'll listin to it... and he will get it within 10 seconds.... he graduated magna *** laude from Berklee...

best teacher I've ever had

Archived